Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Snorkels?
Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Z71 Tahoe Suburban Care, Maintenance, Modifications, & Product Reviews > Engine & Modifications
Pages: 1, 2
Darkneg777
I cant find a snorkel kit for my 02 hoe anywhere?
Andrew
Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11362679155

Sorry tongue.gif
Darkneg777
Funny, but of no use. sad.gif
Andrew
I'm pretty sure that they have never been made. Most that I know of were modified Landcruiser setups I think...
Darkneg777
How can that be with so many rivers and mud holes here in the USA that i cant find a snorkel kit for a chevy.
Andrew
Because soccer is more popular than water polo for the little ones....
ThorsChariot
biggrin2.gif
Oh sorry! Your looking for snorkeling at Lake Tahoe?
matticus
You can modify a Safari snorkel to fit a Tahoe. Check out 02TahoeMD's garage. There's a thread for the mod as well. I would do this, but I can't afford a $600 snorkel that I may only use once a year. :/
hdwrench99
If I am ever in that much water, I hope I'm in something other than my Tahoe. blink.gif
matticus
I'll admit right here, right now that my primary reason for wanting one is because it looks bad ARSE! But, uh, yeah... it's a lot of dough to shell out. I'd rather get a replacement front or rear bumper first. biggrin2.gif
ThorsChariot
QUOTE (matticus @ Jan 11 2012, 08:25 PM) *
You can modify a Safari snorkel to fit a Tahoe. Check out 02TahoeMD's garage. There's a thread for the mod as well. I would do this, but I can't afford a $600 snorkel that I may only use once a year. :/

Oh you gave it away, We were waiting to see if he could use the search button. But the pic above is 02 TahoeMD's
Here are all the link I found in one search.
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....&hl=snorkel
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18780
http://chevy.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/proje...roject1525.html
ThorsChariot
QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 11 2012, 08:27 PM) *
If I am ever in that much water, I hope I'm in something other than my Tahoe. blink.gif

X2

Just think that will do to the interior and wiring under the dash, I would rather have a military surplus Hummer as there is no interior and there setup for it. Or a Jeep Wrangler with a diesel engine.
04gmc
Yea it's not an easy mod by any means, but then again neither is modifying a land cruiser ARB bumper....

matticus
His Tahoe is how I always dreamed my Tahoe would be. Now I'd just be copying his mods. bah. Although, imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery, right? rolleyes.gif
Darkneg777
I live in Miami and i really like to have fun in the low canals, retention ponds, and creek crossings. And lets be honest they look KILLER. 04gmc and ThorsChariot that's what i want mine to look like. I'm what you call a "baller on a budget", i just bought my '02 Tahoe z71 about 4 months ago for $9,800 with a 9000i warn winch, front brushguard, and only 90k miles on it. EVERYTHING looks brand new all the leather was perfect and the guy had all the service records. Unfortunately it ate up all my savings + a G-note i borrowed from my girl, so my mods will be slow coming. Oh and it needs tires I've been shopping around and COSTCO seems to have the best deal on the tire i believe to be the best fit for what I'm looking for 285-70-17 BFgoodrich All-Terrain T/AŽ KO. There $1,095 installed and it comes with a 5 year ROAD HAZARD warranty from COSTCO.
Darkneg777
QUOTE (ThorsChariot @ Jan 11 2012, 08:37 PM) *
QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 11 2012, 08:27 PM) *

X2

Just think that will do to the interior and wiring under the dash, I would rather have a military surplus Hummer as there is no interior and there setup for it. Or a Jeep Wrangler with a diesel engine.

I just looked up military surplus Hummers and there like $30,000 lol
djinco
Seriously?

Your money.

fool.gif no.gif nope.gif
Darkneg777
I'm not buying one, some guy above posted about getting one lol.
02TahoeMD
I was amused to come home from work and read this thread. Thanks guys for the compliments, and for the posting of my other writings. It has been a useful, functional mod that gets more use than the winch does. I was able to make a trail run across Greenridge State Forest in western Maryland in October with no concern about hydrolocking.

And anyone that wants to copy my build ideas, I am flattered. Really.
jake283618
Follow 02Tahoes write up it isn't as difficult as it sounds and was actually pretty easy. The only thing you really have to make your self is the bracket. I love mine 1) it does look bad arse and chances are no one else will have one 2) it gives you that insurance incase you ever come to a water crossing 3) on those dusty trails you get that fresh clean air and it will help keep your filter clogging up with sand.
02TahoeMD
Thanks Jake for the feedback. Do the mods / admin think maybe they could make my snorkel mod a "sticky" over in Off Road tech so it is easier to find?

Also, Dante's Peak was on television tonight. The exceptionally cool Suburban in that movie was my inspiration for what I have done to my Tahoe. So, I did a search and found where someone had posted some great closeup photos of one of the original movie trucks that had been up on eBay. Sorry I missed that auction! This one didnt apparently have an actual functioning snorkel as you can see in the under hood shots. CLICK ME FOR MORE!!

matticus
Dang. I'm fairly certain that I could modify my Outlaw Power intake for this. The intake box is built for a ram/scoop out of the bottom, but when I bought the truck the ram tube wasn't installed. I could always route an extension or cut a new hole and plate up the bottom of it to make it water tight. My only issue is the expense of the snorkel itself. But... tax returns are coming soon. Hmmmmm... ph34r.gif
Darkneg777
Wounder if i can retrofit my spectere cold air intake for it?
Kerr
i did a post on my build up with a ton of photos..

matticus
You did? Links! I demand links! clapping1.gif
ThorsChariot
QUOTE (02TahoeMD @ Jan 12 2012, 12:42 AM) *
I was amused to come home from work and read this thread. Thanks guys for the compliments, and for the posting of my other writings. It has been a useful, functional mod that gets more use than the winch does. I was able to make a trail run across Greenridge State Forest in western Maryland in October with no concern about hydrolocking.

And anyone that wants to copy my build ideas, I am flattered. Really.

I too am in that list of trucks I could build or own......It would be yours! thumbsup.png

So stick um up and hand over the keys. ph34r.gif
johnnyleo11

Looks like a hoot! Can that trail be easily done in an 2002 Green Tahoe Z71 street edition? I haven't all of those cool mods like you have on my truck, but I've been looking to have a little fun and go camping in the summer.
Kerr
well i searched and i cant find me lol.. I chimed in on the other links though...

02TahoeMD
QUOTE (johnnyleo11 @ Jan 12 2012, 03:11 PM) *

Looks like a hoot! Can that trail be easily done in an 2002 Green Tahoe Z71 street edition? I haven't all of those cool mods like you have on my truck, but I've been looking to have a little fun and go camping in the summer.

Yes, you could make it in an unmodded Tahoe or Suburban. But you must drive with care. If there has been a lot of rain beforehand, I would avoid it as there are many "puddles" that are quite deep and I would be concerned with taking in water when doing a crossing. The trail is narrow and there are areas that you must drive through the water, there is no way around it. When I was up there, we stopped for lunch and saw a stock 1500 Suburban coming up the trail, plodding along slowly. After lunch, I found where he had ripped off one of his driving lights either due to poor driving technique or from not being attentive. Greenridge really is a beautiful area and you dont have to drive the trails to have a pleasant drive in the mountains, I do recommend it for a visit.
Darkneg777
I'm looking for the snorkel on eBay what land cruiser did yours come from TahoeMD?
02TahoeMD
Model #SS60HF, so perhaps it is for a LC 60 series. Cant remember....
Darkneg777
Is that the only one that will work, and can i use my spectre cold air intake minus the filter as piping from the throttle body to the snorkel?
Kerr
yes if it has a box, you will have to cut a hole in the box to plub the snorkel in...

matticus
I wouldn't take the filter out of it... otherwise, what is filtering your air? My Outlaw intake is a box with a 4" hole on the bottom to take in air and another hole flowing to the MAF and the intake. I wouldn't run the truck without a filter installed. The snorkel will keep out larger debris but isn't supposed to act as a filter.

I'm tempted to look into the modification of a stock air box and whether a stock filter would work with an application like this. Anyone have one laying around that they want to donate for some research?
Darkneg777
[/img]

This is what mine looks like.

ERm sorry its so big did not mean t do that lol
"04Hoe
It needs a watertight box that the snorkel connects to.
hdwrench99
I don't know a lot about this, so I have a question. Why do the inlets of the snorkels face forward? I would think you would get less crap in the tube if it faced the rear. Even if a large wave of water hit the front of the truck it could be sucked up by the forward facing setup.
matticus
Mine can be made watertight relatively quickly and easily. I haven't ever seen the stock air box so I can't comment as to how easy it would be to work with, though I imagine it'd be a waste of time. So, let me modify my previous post as follows:

Does anyone have $600 that they want to donate for my research project? biggrin2.gif
02TahoeMD
QUOTE ("04Hoe @ Jan 13 2012, 02:30 PM) *
It needs a watertight box that the snorkel connects to.

THIS ^^^^ very definitely needed for the snorkel to be effective

QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 13 2012, 02:35 PM) *
I don't know a lot about this, so I have a question. Why do the inlets of the snorkels face forward? I would think you would get less crap in the tube if it faced the rear. Even if a large wave of water hit the front of the truck it could be sucked up by the forward facing setup.

I am not sure why they face forward, other than obtaining a ram air effect at speed. Now, rainwater and splashes will self drain off the Safari Snorkel head, they have small outlets on the perimeter of the bottom. I have never driven in water that would be that big a concern though. I may hit an initial splash but that is it, no actual wave of water going into the intake....if you are into water high enough to hit the intake, you shouldnt be there! The head can be swiveled backwards though if the circumstances require it.

Outer Banks "Puddle Jumping" in 2008 biggrin2.gif
hdwrench99
QUOTE (02TahoeMD @ Jan 13 2012, 03:04 PM) *
Outer Banks "Puddle Jumping" in 2008 biggrin2.gif

Yea, this is what I was referring to. I guess it wouldn't really matter what direction it was pointing, would it? blink.gif
matticus
wub.gif
Darkneg777
TahoeMD is driving my DREAM Tahoe!!!!!
Kerr
the directions on mine said do not turn it around backwards.. It can cause a vaccum and damage the motor... I dont see how it would but i can see it causing breathing problems for the motor...

hdwrench99
QUOTE (Kerr @ Jan 13 2012, 03:41 PM) *
the directions on mine said do not turn it around backwards.. It can cause a vaccum and damage the motor... I dont see how it would but i can see it causing breathing problems for the motor...

Yea, at highway speeds, I can see an issue with it being turned around. The negative pressure an the backside of the inlet could cause an overly rich condition. But at "trail" speeds, I don't see it being a problem.

I haven't ever seen the stock air box so I can't comment as to how easy it would be to work with, though I imagine it'd be a waste of time.

Here are a few pics of my stock air box. I agree, I may be quite difficult to get a good seal.

johnnyleo11

But if you're really going to do this, I still have my stock box sitting in my parents' garage. You could hack away one one of them and have a spare...
Darkneg777
Duct tape and plastic wrap!
jake283618
Here's the link to the write up.

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....showtopic=14941
duntov
QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 13 2012, 04:46 PM) *
Here are a few pics of my stock air box. I agree, I may be quite difficult to get a good seal.

It would be almost impossible to seal. But a snorkel will still get clean air from being up high.
Norseman
QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 13 2012, 09:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Kerr @ Jan 13 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Yea, at highway speeds, I can see an issue with it being turned around. The negative pressure an the backside of the inlet could cause an overly rich condition. But at "trail" speeds, I don't see it being a problem.

This would NEVER be a real-life issue.

The force in which the air is sucken into the engine during combustion is pretty great.

After running rear facing snorkel head (Safari brand) for three years in outback Australia, this was never an issue.
Although we never went faster than 120kph.

If you are concerned about debris, low micron dust or other s**t entering your snorkel, turn your head backwards with confidence. No worries.

We turned them around due to an Aussie phenomenon called "bull dust", whis is just desert sand dust, with veeeery low micron (size of dust particle)

Fair dinkum !

EDIT: I just realized we were driving diesel LandCruisers (4.2 l inline six TD and 4.0 NA), not gas engines.

smile.gif
Kerr
i used a volant air box... took a lot of work to make it water tight... then it didnt flow enough air to feed the blower.

When my new motor goes in im going to hook the snorkel back up. I think im going to try a air box off a Hummer H1..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.