Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abs Codes
Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Z71 Tahoe Suburban General Discussion > Problems, TSB's, Recall's
diggla
CO222 rt frt wheel check wire
CO223 rt wire
CO226 lft frt wheel speed signal
CO281 break sw circuit.

I checked the wires on the front wheels and no frays or broken ends. Can someone tell me if these codes are correct and maybe some insight on remedies.

I changed the breaks and rotors about 4 months ago, went with aftermarket drilled and slotted. Got the light about 3 days ago.
diggla
Now when i start to break, as the truck comes to a.stop the abs kick on the last couple feet.
hdwrench99
It's hard to diagnose over the web, but it could be your wheel bearing failing. I don't know if these are the codes that come up when it fails that way though. How many miles are on you truck?
Joe1129uscg
The ABS activating just before stopping is caused by loss of signal from the hub to the ABS system, to the computer it appears that a wheel or wheels have locked up and cut pressure to the system.

Either a hub is bad or there is a break in the wiring somewhere.

diggla
Truck has near 200k. One hub was replaced about 3 yrs ago. And i believe it was the pass side. How can i tell if its a bad hub. Can it be a bad speed sensor?
hdwrench99
QUOTE (diggla @ Sep 11 2011, 08:15 PM) *
Truck has near 200k. One hub was replaced about 3 yrs ago. And i believe it was the pass side. How can i tell if its a bad hub. Can it be a bad speed sensor?

Jack the truck up. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6. Give it a firm shake. If there is movement, your hub bearing is bad.
Gary P
QUOTE (Joe1129uscg @ Sep 11 2011, 02:07 PM) *
The ABS activating just before stopping is caused by loss of signal from the hub to the ABS system, to the computer it appears that a wheel or wheels have locked up and cut pressure to the system.

Joe - Could the loss of signal also be related to the recall that GM did a while ago? It was for corrosion between the sensor and the hub, and affected most trucks in the nothern climates, where salt is used on the roads. Probably better to just replace the hub, instead of just the sensor, huh?
diggla
Is it possible to switch sides on the speed senser and see if the code changes to same issue but.other side now?
Joe1129uscg
QUOTE (Gary P @ Sep 11 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Joe - Could the loss of signal also be related to the recall that GM did a while ago? It was for corrosion between the sensor and the hub, and affected most trucks in the nothern climates, where salt is used on the roads. Probably better to just replace the hub, instead of just the sensor, huh?

Never heard of that recall, supposed to be a sealed unit...how does salt get in there? blink.gif

Ive found that replacing only the sensor has always been pointless, never fixed the problem.

QUOTE (diggla @ Sep 12 2011, 01:53 PM) *
Is it possible to switch sides on the speed senser and see if the code changes to same issue but.other side now?

Yes
Gary P
QUOTE (Joe1129uscg @ Sep 12 2011, 02:58 PM) *
QUOTE (Gary P @ Sep 11 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Never heard of that recall, supposed to be a sealed unit...how does salt get in there? blink.gif

Ive found that replacing only the sensor has always been pointless, never fixed the problem.

QUOTE (diggla @ Sep 12 2011, 01:53 PM) *

Yes

Joe - There was a recall, probably 4-5 years ago or so..... I believe it was restricted to the "salt belt" areas of the country. The "fix" was for them to remove the sensor from the hub, clean the mounting surface, and reinstall the sensor. I had it done on my Siverado ('02 model year) under the recall.

Eventually I had to replace the hub anyway, but the dealer fix worked until the hub went bad. When I initially looked into replacing the sensor, I found the cost of a new hub including the snesor was only a few more dollars than just the sensor! Back then, a few years ago, I found the sensor listed separately at the local parts store, but it was almost $90, so I figured it was better to replace the hub assembly. Now when I checked, I no longer see the sensor listed separately..... Hmmmmm. dry.gif
diggla
I just took apart both wheels. The hubs look solid no play. Removed the sensors. The drvs side was missing the shims and looks filed down. Pass side looked ok. Here is a pic

Pic too big
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.