Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bose 6 Disc Cd Changer
Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Z71 Tahoe Suburban General Discussion > Problems, TSB's, Recall's
Zeee71
Hello,
I am not quite sure if i am posting this in the correct forum, but here goes. My 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 has the factory Bose 6 disc CD Changer. I tried adding a cd tonight, and it whirred and whirred, it took the cd. Now I have disc 1-4 on the display with the cd indicator above disc 2, and it will not let me do anything, no play, no forward track, no display, no whirring. I tried turning it off, then on, changed it to the tuners, they work fine, but when i go back to the CD source, i get nothing but that display. I have seen other posts on fixya, but no one responded with an answer. any help is fully appreciated.
Joe1129uscg
QUOTE (Zeee71 @ Jan 28 2011, 09:46 PM) *
Hello,
I am not quite sure if i am posting this in the correct forum, but here goes. My 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 has the factory Bose 6 disc CD Changer. I tried adding a cd tonight, and it whirred and whirred, it took the cd. Now I have disc 1-4 on the display with the cd indicator above disc 2, and it will not let me do anything, no play, no forward track, no display, no whirring. I tried turning it off, then on, changed it to the tuners, they work fine, but when i go back to the CD source, i get nothing but that display. I have seen other posts on fixya, but no one responded with an answer. any help is fully appreciated.

Try this, remove radio from IP and unplug both connectors and then plug back in, sometime that will get it going again. If that don't work your next two options are #1 Find a 6 disc from a 05 -06 truck, they look same on outside but the internals is much different and more dependable that the 02-06 version. You will need to have the dealer program the new radio. #2 look up Rive Automotive Electronics in California, they can repair yours for about $130 and no programing is required when you fix your current radio. I use Rive all the time for my business and can vouch for their work.
Zeee71
QUOTE (Joe1129uscg @ Jan 29 2011, 06:22 AM) *
Hello,

Try this, remove radio from IP and unplug both connectors and then plug back in, sometime that will get it going again. If that don't work your next two options are #1 Find a 6 disc from a 05 -06 truck, they look same on outside but the internals is much different and more dependable that the 02-06 version. You will need to have the dealer program the new radio. #2 look up Rive Automotive Electronics in California, they can repair yours for about $130 and no programing is required when you fix your current radio. I use Rive all the time for my business and can vouch for their work.

Is it possible, than to rip the dash apart, to go to the fuse box, pull the fuse?> or even, unplug the battery terminals let it sit for a few, then plug it back in?? does anyone have a diagram on the removal of the cd changer radio?
DanM64
QUOTE (Zeee71 @ Jan 29 2011, 07:51 AM) *
Is it possible, than to rip the dash apart, to go to the fuse box, pull the fuse?> or even, unplug the battery terminals let it sit for a few, then plug it back in?? does anyone have a diagram on the removal of the cd changer radio?

VERY easy to remove. Just tilt the steering wheel all the way down, shift into 1, and pull at the dash trim that goes from around the top and bottom of gauge cluster and headlight switch over to the radio and climate controls, and pull it straight toward you. It should pop right out, then all you have to do it remove the bolts holding the radio in, and you're all done. Takes literally 5 minutes- if that. Unhook the connectors like Joe was saying- that's just as easy as removing the battery terminals, and it'll have the same effect. Hopefully that will fix it.
Joe1129uscg
Hello,

Even by pulling the fuse the radio still has power going to it, removing the batt cables may work but getting to the radio is easier than undoing the batt cables.
Zeee71
QUOTE (Joe1129uscg @ Jan 29 2011, 03:16 PM) *
Hello,

Even by pulling the fuse the radio still has power going to it, removing the batt cables may work but getting to the radio is easier than undoing the batt cables.

OK. I pulled the radio out. unplugged both connectors, let it sit for 10 minutes, then plugged them in. I now have the disc whirring and trying to eject disc 1, but no disc coming out, it now shows a disc icon before disc 1 and 2, and i am getting an initialize message. it has gone away and the cd function is dead, i get nothing, so i tried it again, still nothing, but has same icons for disc 1 and 2. i was getting dics 1234 with disc icon above disc 2, the radio works fine. I wouldnt be so hurried to do this, but the cd i put in belongs to my local public library, LOL, go figure... so i have until feb 13 to get it out before i get charged for it, or i decide to renew it for another 3 weeks, LOL help?
carsport
Hahaha, I'm sorry but that's too funny.

It sounds like your radio is shot though.
hdwrench99
If any of the CD's had labels on them, you got a problem. When I bought my Hoe, the CD player didn't work either. The car lot said they would pay for me to take it to the GM dealer and have it swapped for a salvage yard unit. They gave me the old one, and being curious, I dismantled it. There were 2 cds with labels out of 4 in the unit. 3 of the 4 were cracked, and the entire system was under a bind. I think that the labels were just a little too thick for the player to function. Being that you said it was a library cd, I'm guessing it had a label. Good luck. thumbsup.png
Zeee71
QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 30 2011, 08:04 PM) *
If any of the CD's had labels on them, you got a problem. When I bought my Hoe, the CD player didn't work either. The car lot said they would pay for me to take it to the GM dealer and have it swapped for a salvage yard unit. They gave me the old one, and being curious, I dismantled it. There were 2 cds with labels out of 4 in the unit. 3 of the 4 were cracked, and the entire system was under a bind. I think that the labels were just a little too thick for the player to function. Being that you said it was a library cd, I'm guessing it had a label. Good luck. thumbsup.png

soooo, im glad i could give everyone a chuckle, LOL my wife goes out to the hoe, goes to work, presses the cd eject button, as she is coming home and i go out to disassemble the unit again, and there is one of the cd's sticking out. , so i grab it, start pressing buttons, and still not getting anything... i'll just have the wife press its buttons, LOL the disc had no label on it... a ? for ya's: is there an actual radio user guide? a manual to look at? the owners manual sucks. a repair guide , maybe a chiltons?
Joe1129uscg
QUOTE (Zeee71 @ Feb 1 2011, 07:27 PM) *
QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Jan 30 2011, 08:04 PM) *

soooo, im glad i could give everyone a chuckle, LOL my wife goes out to the hoe, goes to work, presses the cd eject button, as she is coming home and i go out to disassemble the unit again, and there is one of the cd's sticking out. , so i grab it, start pressing buttons, and still not getting anything... i'll just have the wife press its buttons, LOL the disc had no label on it... a ? for ya's: is there an actual radio user guide? a manual to look at? the owners manual sucks. a repair guide , maybe a chiltons?

Did you happen to see the company that can repair your radio? Its posted above, they will even return your CD's
Beastie
roup Whoa ! , very timely. This past weekend I popped in 2 CD's for a drive south and when I went to remove 1 the same things happened.
The CD that I believe caused the jam is one I bought at a charity event for a musical group from a local college. I believe the CD they sold has a label as was mentioned here. I will try the fixes from above.
Thanks
soldier74
Yeah my Bose 6 changer has its days. When the truck is cold it will let me skip to whatever song I want. After its been warm and driven around, it will stall and eject the cd out.

Whatever, I'll just stick to my XM radio till I get my hands on a pioneer head unit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.