Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock sub
Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Z71 Tahoe Suburban Care, Maintenance, Modifications, & Product Reviews > Audio / Video / Navigation
paramediclane
i have replaced the front door speakers in my 02 suburban. the whole system sounds great, but i would like more bass. (dont we all). im thinking about replacing the factory sub in the rear with an aftermarket and an amp hidden in the rear panel. i dont want a box of any kind sitting in the back of the truck. factory location is where i would like everything to stay. the stereo like it is has great sound quality and a decent amount of bass. im trying to weigh out my options. should i change out the sub and use the factory amp, or aftermarket sub with aftermarket amp, or factory highpass crossover bypass. i have tried to find enclosures for the factory rear panel, but no luck. so im thinking about using the factory size. i just know that sometimes the stock stuff sounds better than aftermarket stuff, and i dont want to be dissapointed in my decision.
Lopez05
There's no way you'll be disappointed if you pick a good aftermarket sub. Buy an after market amp too. I hate the way that stock 8 sounded so I just disconnected it when I added my system.
BLWright
make sure you get a sub that has a shallow mounting depth. and run an external amp. it'll be to your advantage.
Mgexsa
Please keep us updated as to what you did. There are alot of people interested in this.
Lopez05
The stock box is pretty decent. All you would have to do is seal the whole where the factory wires go inside. Measure the air space and find a sub that will work with it. If you add an aftermarket sub you definitley want to go with a new amp.
Soulshine
i installed an 8" Rockford Fosgate P2 sub in my '02 Z71 Tahoe last week. the difference is quite noticable. its still on the factory amp because i havent had the time to locate it yet but it still sounds good. job took about an hour. the wires were too short in the box and i had to extend them. other than that it was an easy task. any assistance on the amp subject would be well appriciated
FishNJ
there was a good writeup here a while ago on the factory amp bypass. see if you can dig that up. turns out the factory amp isnt really an amp at all, just a low pass filter. get the parts and do the bypass. then install an aftermarket amp. i actually hid the amp in the open space beneath the front/center console, just forward of the cupholders. wires easy to the head unit, then you can just run the wires from the amp to the pick up from the factory amp and use the factory wires that are already run to the rear sub box. worked out great with a JL 8w in the factory box and 250W pioneer amp. just enough bump without drowning you in bass.
Matt
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=37

Here is the link mentioned above.
paramediclane
QUOTE (FishNJ @ Aug 18 2005, 11:48 AM)
there was a good writeup here a while ago on the factory amp bypass. see if you can dig that up. turns out the factory amp isnt really an amp at all, just a low pass filter. get the parts and do the bypass. then install an aftermarket amp. i actually hid the amp in the open space beneath the front/center console, just forward of the cupholders. wires easy to the head unit, then you can just run the wires from the amp to the pick up from the factory amp and use the factory wires that are already run to the rear sub box. worked out great with a JL 8w in the factory box and 250W pioneer amp. just enough bump without drowning you in bass.

im trying to find someone to do the bypass procedure. im scared to mess with all this factory shoot by myself. im going to try that first, then report my findings. then i may go the aftermarket route. im pretty happy with the over all system as it is, im just wanting to get more out of it. i replaced the front speakers with kicker 2 ways, and they scream. now i need some more bass to help out. im just trying not to put a speaker box in the back. i want everything to stay in factory locations if at all possible. i even thought about putting new sub in the rear stock location, and getting a new front console that has the sub in it, then running enough wattage to both from one amp. im still juggling ideas right now. if the factory bypass mod makes the system jam, then i will be happy with that, but i dont want to be dissapointed.
Mgexsa
I have an 02, non-bose.

I just upgraded the stock sub with the JL8WO-8, its the 8-ohm version but they have a 4 too. The JL requires .75cu.ft, I think the stock box is almost that. I also added a rockford fosgate amp 2X90watts, bridged that and was 'good to go. I had to turn the amp way down, but it now sounds awesome! It s definately not like haveing a 10 or 12 in a nice box, but its sounds so much better, sometimes I have to turn it down! wacko.gif

It is definately worth the money, except now I want to change out the rest of the speakers to compensate for all that bass laugh.gif
Mgexsa
QUOTE (Soulshine @ Aug 16 2005, 12:08 AM)
i installed an 8" Rockford Fosgate P2 sub in my '02 Z71 Tahoe last week. the difference is quite noticable. its still on the factory amp because i havent had the time to locate it yet but it still sounds good. job took about an hour. the wires were too short in the box and i had to extend them. other than that it was an easy task. any assistance on the amp subject would be well appriciated

If you want to add an amp, this is what I did:

Get a highpass to low pass adapter from your local car audio place, while you're there get an amp install kit as well and RCA cables

Open up the plastic cover around the stock box

Get the wires going into the sub and add the highpass lowpass to those wires

Run RCA cables from there to amp (I Mounted my amp under 2row bench behind driver)

Run Wires from Amp back to Speaker

There might be a better way to do this, but his was pretty easy.
HTownZ
I highly reccomend stuffing a JL Audio 8W0 in the stock sub box. It'll blow you away at what a difference a few extra bucks will get you. There is no question that the stock sub sucks. THe 8W0 is not going to be competition worthy but then no single 8" sub would be.

One thing to note:
Once you replace your stock sub, you'll be addicted to the results. You might just think about skipping the factory look install and go straight to a larger 10" or 12" back there in the same location but with a custom enclosure. HAve fun.
Carlitos
I skimmed over these posts, but no one has mentioned this....

when you remove the stock sub, you'll notice the shallow-mounted stock sub has a spacer ring around it, so the sub will fit flush with the speaker grille, that is integrated to the rear panel... if you remove that spacer ring (and destroying the stock speaker), with a little ingenuity you can fashion a spacer ring between the speaker and the sub-enclosure, allowing you to install a speaker ONE INCH deeper than the stock speaker....
Carlitos
speaker after 'ring'/spacer removal
Carlitos
And then, using the ring as a spacer BETWEEN speaker and enclosure (need foam tape, adhesive, and longer screws... I also replaced the stuffing too...

DMarts10
would the sub box from an 02 fit in the back pannel for an 04? i would like to get rid of my aftermarket sub box and run the front sub and a rear (in the stock location for an 02).
Ripped
[quote name='Soulshine' date='Aug 16 2005, 01:08 AM' post='30144']
[/quote

Post Some Picks Please
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.