Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larger Tires - 1999 Z71 Tahoe
Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com > Z71 Tahoe Suburban Care, Maintenance, Modifications, & Product Reviews > Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels
rider90
I don't want to touch the keys, and I off road occasionally. The tires that I like are offered in both the factory size of 265/70/16 but I would like to get something taller.

275/70/16

OR

285/75/16

Bear in mind I may bottom out, and do not want to touch the bumper or anything around turns. I am thinking 275/70/16 is the safest upgrade without having to touch the keys or do any trimming.

I did a search and found lots of information on newer Tahoes but not so much for the older body style and wheel wells.

Does anyone have any advice? 1999 Tahoe... good.gif
deltaromeo
I have the 2000 OBS Z; before I cranked the keys and put two inch blocks out back, I ran the 285-75-16's with no problems. Right now, with the keys cranked and the 2 inch blocks, I am running the 295-75-16's with aftermarket 16x8 wheels.

Looking for a Volant cold air intake?? My neighbor just put one on his 1999 hoe with the 5.7 and he has now decided to buy a new hoe and is selling the Volant after only one day of running it. He purchased it for about 250 but is selling it for 200 plus shipping.
rider90
QUOTE(deltaromeo @ Nov 26 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]156049[/snapback]

I have the 2000 OBS Z; before I cranked the keys and put two inch blocks out back, I ran the 285-75-16's with no problems. Right now, with the keys cranked and the 2 inch blocks, I am running the 295-75-16's with aftermarket 16x8 wheels.

Looking for a Volant cold air intake?? My neighbor just put one on his 1999 hoe with the 5.7 and he has now decided to buy a new hoe and is selling the Volant after only one day of running it. He purchased it for about 250 but is selling it for 200 plus shipping.

Thank you for your feedback! Although I am not in the market for a CAI. Are there any other users of the 285/75/16 tire that can chime in?

Is it a close call, do you have pictures of what it looked like? I see in your garage, you mention the 285/75/16 tire size but it says you are also using blocks and keys. I'm not sure wacko.gif
deltaromeo
The pics in my garage are of my hoe with the 285-75-16's and American Racing Chamber wheels with the keys cranked and the 2 inch blocks out back over the springs. I have not yet updated my pics to show the new tires.
rider90
QUOTE(deltaromeo @ Nov 26 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]156054[/snapback]

The pics in my garage are of my hoe with the 285-75-16's and American Racing Chamber wheels with the keys cranked and the 2 inch blocks out back over the springs. I have not yet updated my pics to show the new tires.

So those pictures are with everything lifted, but the 285 tires? Looks like a close call if it were not lifted. You did not have any problems rubbing anywhere ever?

Thanks
deltaromeo
No problems rubbing with the 285-75-16's and stock level ride. However, I have heard of some OBS owners experiencing rubbing issues with other tire/wheel combos and stock ride.
rider90
Yeah I was looking at the Michelin LTX M/S Tires...Who knows if they'll be shorter or taller than the tires you had on...What will I get from a 275/70/16 compared to my current 265/70/16? 1/2" tops?
deltaromeo
Here's a handy tire calculator; compares current to anticipated sizes.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
rider90
Thank you
Andrew
i've got a 2/3 lift and clear some large 285's (compared to 2 other sets of 285's these were visibly larger) with lots of room to spare..... i would imagine that i would clear just fine at stock height, but it might be close when the suspension flexed a little.......
rider90
QUOTE(Andrew @ Nov 27 2007, 03:13 AM) [snapback]156117[/snapback]

i've got a 2/3 lift and clear some large 285's (compared to 2 other sets of 285's these were visibly larger) with lots of room to spare..... i would imagine that i would clear just fine at stock height, but it might be close when the suspension flexed a little.......

Thanks Andrew. Yes the suspension would flex quite a bit with how I use this truck, but I appreciate everyone's responses. I decided to play it safe and I ordered 275/70/16's. It may not be a huge difference, but I figure with the slightly larger tire and the fact that my tread is already 80% worn, it should be noticeable.

Thanks again thumbsup.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.