Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2002 speaker sizes, looking to upgrade
chazzo
post Dec 5 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 267

I have a 2002 Tahoe Z71 and would like to upgrade the speakers, since I blew the current ones. I have no clue as to what size the speakers are and how to get the panels off to look at them. For now, I am going to keep the factory receiver and just replace the speakers.

Thanks,

Chazzo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Dec 5 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Front or rears? Bose or no Bose? 6-1/2" will fit the doors. If Bose, the amp will cause some complications with just speaker replacement. You'll likely have to disconnect the pillar speakers and the tweeters in the front door. See this thread for door panel removal to get to the speakers.

Door Panel Removal

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
chazzo
post Dec 5 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Probably all the speakers. This is not a Bose system. I think there are 2 speakers in the front door, one in the middle, 2 small speakers in D post and a subwoofer. I think the diagram will be useful, Thanks. By chance is there a diagram for the rear area (subwoofer, etc.)

Thanks,

Chazzo

+Quote Post
carguru
post Dec 6 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

What leads you to believe you blew all the speakers? It is a very common problem with the GM trucks to have the speakers fall out and rattle as they are held in place with clips. The ones in the front door are very prone to this. I would check these first. With that said, for a non-Bose system, component speakers make a great addition to the stock radio. The great thing is these aftermarket speakers (including a subwoofer) can be a stealth install.

The rear door panels come off in a similar fashion to the fronts.
Pull out the handle bezel
Remove the lock bezel
Remove the screws
Lift up on the door panel
Disconnect the electrical connectors
The rear door speakers are held in with screws

To get to the subwoofer in the rear cargo area:
Remove the third row seat (if equipped)
Remove the third pillar trim (where rear seat belt is)
Remove the rear garnish moulding (where rear speakers are) by pulling down carefully to release the clips.
Remove the cargo door/liftgate door sill by releasing the clips.
Remove the screws from the quarter panel and lift to remove.
The subwoofer box will be held with 2 screws. The box will lift up to release from bracket.

Hope that helps

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
chazzo
post Dec 8 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the info, i will try and get to this, this week end and let you know how bad I tore things up. As for the front speaker, its sounds real bad. Almost a cracking noise. I like loud music, so I figure I better replace all of them before I blow all of them.

Chazzo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:06 AM