Reply to this topicStart new topic
Service Tire Monitor?
JH3Z71
post Feb 16 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #1

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,287

ok everybody Ive got some annoying message Displaying Service Tire Monitor that keeps comming up.....It probably because I just got new BFG AT 285's....but i put plenty of air in them.....I keep them around 50 psi....but will someone help me out and tell me what this means and how i fix it.....my owners manual says its a sensor...which would make sense becasue they are new....but i need help!

--------------------
Westin Brush guard and Taillight guards 6 Whelen 90w strobes 4 Split Albe 2 slim lights Garman street pilot GPS Cobra Cb Motorola UHF Scanner Streamlight Ultrastinger Tigerlight Surefire 8NX Hella FF1000's Hella optilux angle eyes KC 126 series reverse lights rear LED blinkers and running lights 285 BFG AT dorf Keys 5% tint Ipod Browning go-light Avalanche floor mats Optima Yellow top Wig-Wags Whelen Airhorn dual 21inch lopro antennas XM comander silverstars amber drl's
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blacktexasZ
post Feb 16 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Silver Member

Member No.: 909

QUOTE (JH3Z71 @ Feb 16 2006, 11:43 PM)
ok everybody Ive got some annoying message Displaying Service Tire Monitor that keeps comming up.....It probably because I just got new BFG AT 285's....but i put plenty of air in them.....I keep them around 50 psi....but will someone help me out and tell me what this means and how i fix it.....my owners manual says its a sensor...which would make sense becasue they are new....but i need help!

50?! Wow... I run like 35-40 and I thought that was rough. I don't have those sensors but I'm sure posting what year model and all would help us help you wink.gif

--------------------
Rockford Fosgate System / Pioneer HU + iPod Direct, Nitto, Limo Tint, Corsa Sport, AEM, Ranch Hands Front & Back
Texas A&M
My Garage

+Quote Post
dave237
post Feb 17 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,034

Did you get new wheels also or just fresh skins??? Take it to the dealership for them to plug in the tach 2 computer and reset the sensor's. It takes about 5 min.

--------------------
"All men are created equal, then a few become Chevy owners."
Pic's of the Burb

+Quote Post
2005SummitWhite
post Feb 17 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #4

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,672

Mine says this all the time, on every start up. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the sensors are not in my tires. Well they are in my tires actually, that are on my stock rims, that are in my garage. unsure.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 17 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

QUOTE (dave237 @ Feb 17 2006, 03:03 AM)
Did you get new wheels also or just fresh skins??? Take it to the dealership for them to plug in the tach 2 computer and reset the sensor's. It takes about 5 min.

No need to use the Tech2. If the wheel positions weren't registered when the tires were put back on, then do the sensor reset procedure:

1 - Put on the parking brake and turn the key to run, but don't start it.

2 - Flip the headlights on and off 4 times inside of 3 seconds and the horn will give 2 short beeps, also the Tire Pressure warning will flash until you are done.

3 - Now increase or decrease the tire pressure for 10 seconds on the drivers side front tire. The horn should beep once, if not then re-try. Once it beeps, move to the passenger side front tire, then passenger side rear tire and last driver side rear tire. then fill all your tires back up and the warning should go away.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
jmbaker
post Feb 17 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #6

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,698

JH3:

Dude, 285's on the factory wheel (if that's what you have? If you have an 8" or wider wheel this is less of an issue) at 50psi is going to wear the middle 1/3 your new treads about twice as fast as the tire as a whole. Not to mention significantly deminshed traction results from over inflation. If you are doing it to save fuel, forget it. Tire replacement will cost more than the gas saved

Unless you are carrying really heavy loads on 'em, you really might want to drop the pressure to 32-36psi range.

Just my $.02

--------------------
'00 OBS Z Hoe (Sold 1/17/06)
'06 Z Hoe

+Quote Post
midlothiantexan
post Feb 17 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 358

QUOTE (jmbaker @ Feb 17 2006, 11:13 AM)
JH3:

Dude, 285's on the factory wheel (if that's what you have? If you have an 8" or wider wheel this is less of an issue) at 50psi is going to wear the middle 1/3 your new treads about twice as fast as the tire as a whole. Not to mention significantly deminshed traction results from over inflation. If you are doing it to save fuel, forget it. Tire replacement will cost more than the gas saved

Unless you are carrying really heavy loads on 'em, you really might want to drop the pressure to 32-36psi range.

Just my $.02

I am so glad this subject has come back up again. During the Christmas holidays, there was a huge discussion amongst the men in my family about tires and tire pressure. Let's just say that we agreed to disagree smile.gif I had my BFG's (285/70/17) installed at Discount Tire on my factory Z71 rims. They recommended running the tires at 50psi to promote even tread wear unsure.gif

During my last visit to Discount for rotation/balancing, I spoke with the store manager about his opinion and he confirmed that they send all vehicles with that particualr size BFG out the door at 50psi.

The tires are load range D and rated at 65psi maximum pressure. Are we comapring apples to oranges here, or do tire shops simply want you back for another purchase before maximizing the life of the tire?

We measured my tires that day, and the wear was even across the entire tire after 15K. I have them rotated and balanced every 5K, as it is free at Discount.

Just looking to protect my $900 investment as much as possible cool.gif Hope to hear from others who are riding on 285 BFG's/stock rims.

--------------------
2002 Z71 Suburban (5.3L flex-fuel engine + 4.10 rear end)

Intake: AirAid Modular Intake Tube + AirAid Filter
Exhaust: custom Magnaflow single in/dual out + passenger-side exits
Tires/Wheels: 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ + Pro Comp Xtreme 6089
PCM Tune: EFI Live by Black Bear Performance

+Quote Post
jmbaker
post Feb 17 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #8

Gold Member

midlothian,

Well, the last two sets of BFG AT TA's I had both were 265/75-16's-D Loads on my OBS w/stock wheels. I got 50K miles out of each set and ran them at 34-36#.

On the other hand I ran 32x11.50-15's (comparable size to 258/70/17's) on a K5 Blazer I used to have w/same width wheel and ran them at 45# per the tire stores recommendation. Center 1/3 of the tires were shot at 20-25K miles. 90% of those miles were 70-80mph freeway/highway driving too. So the constant centrifugal force of those speeds + the high pressure may have had something to do with it. My OBS Hoe was a better mixture of hwy/city driving (maybe 75/25)

With that said, if you getting even wear and are happy with the ride quality, keep doing what you're doing.

--------------------
'06 Z Hoe

+Quote Post
JH3Z71
post Feb 19 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #9

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,287

Ok so should I drop the tire pressure down to 34psi tomorrow.....They are somewhere around 50 now....of course thats what the tire store set it on....its all very interesting how that works out....I would love to squeeze 30-35k miles out of these.....with these particular tires I have heeard all kinds of "life stories"....everything from 20k- 50k.....I doubt that I could ever keep a set for 50k...I just would get tired......no pun intended.....of those things.....but anyways would it be highly advised to drop the psi down to 34 asap......thanks

--------------------
Westin Brush guard and Taillight guards 6 Whelen 90w strobes 4 Split Albe 2 slim lights Garman street pilot GPS Cobra Cb Motorola UHF Scanner Streamlight Ultrastinger Tigerlight Surefire 8NX Hella FF1000's Hella optilux angle eyes KC 126 series reverse lights rear LED blinkers and running lights 285 BFG AT dorf Keys 5% tint Ipod Browning go-light Avalanche floor mats Optima Yellow top Wig-Wags Whelen Airhorn dual 21inch lopro antennas XM comander silverstars amber drl's

+Quote Post
jmbaker
post Feb 19 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #10

Gold Member

It's up to you... Try 36 for a week and see what you think. You can always change it to something different anytime you like. cool.gif

As an alternate example. My '06 calls for 30 in the OE tires (felt like I was driving on marshmellos). I can't stand them at less than 34 or more than 38. Over 38 they start liking to follow the grooves in the freeway pavement which in one indication of over inflation (among other things like tread design). I've settled in at 35-36.

Just my 2 cents. wink.gif

--------------------
'06 Z Hoe

+Quote Post
dave237
post Feb 22 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,034

Like JMBAKER said...it is something that you personally have to use the old trial and error. you can start @ 35 and then go up 2 pounds say every week until you find the pressure you enjoy. everyone likes a different ride to their truck. some people keep it at one pressure for normal driving around town, and then when they have a heavy load on the truck and they are going for a long trip they change it to something else. I personally keep it @ 36 all year long. but once again it is a personal liking. Good luck on choosing yours.

--------------------
"All men are created equal, then a few become Chevy owners."
Pic's of the Burb

+Quote Post
Charlie
post Feb 22 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #12

Platinum Member

Member No.: 896

What's the lowest pressure you can have in before the pressure monitors go off?

--------------------
Resident hater.
4 America Bald Eagle Mud Monster Extreme Whiskey Ultra Terrain Pro Master Truck Monster Mud Commander Gun Shooter America NRA Mud Conquerer 38's.
Cranked Keys.

+Quote Post
jmbaker
post Feb 22 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #13

Gold Member

I've heard it's 26#, but I am not sure.

--------------------