IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2002 Factory High Pass Crossover Bypass, Step by Step directions to bypassing the
Rating 5 V

Matt
post Jun 18 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #1

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

I have heard many complaints concerning the lack of Bass with the Factory sub and amp. This walk through shows you how to avoid the factory crossover and get that much desired Bass. Keep in mind that these intructions have only been performed on the 02 models and I do not think it iwll work on the 03's and up since the electronics changed considerably during the 03 year...

~bekind

(All rights reserved to the original unidentified author.)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Factory_High_Pass_Crossover_Bypass_Tahoe_02.pdf ( 149.09K ) Number of downloads: 2663

--------------------
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 Summit White, 5.3L
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
01burb
post Aug 12 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

I have a 01 suburban with AM/FM/CD, external cass, 9 speaker system with sub and rear audio. Will this 2002 factory high pass crossover bypass work on mine? I looked at the schematics for my 01 and all the wires match. Except the radio output is called low level audio signal. Is this a amplified signal that can bypass the amp or not. Any info will be great as it sounds like a great upgrade. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Matt
post Aug 13 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #3

Platinum Member

Just to be honest, I truley have no idea if this will work on an 01. I hope another member could chime in with some experience or something. I will try to do a little research and see what I can find out.

~Matt

--------------------
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

+Quote Post
carguru
post Aug 15 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 18

It will work for an '01. Just won't work for the '03 and newer.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
01burb
post Aug 15 2004, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 107

Thanks I will try it.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Aug 16 2004, 08:50 AM
Post #6

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hi 01Burb,

I have a 04 so I apologize I couldn't chime in with any accuracy, but please share your progress and results when you're done. I'm sure there are a number of others who would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
zwc94
post Jun 2 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 822

I did this mod a couple weekends back per your instructions for my '02z...MAN the sound is GREAT. No way I'd be able to talk my wife into an amp, speakers, etc...

Cost was ~$30 for the male and female connectors online with shipping. I went by a local car/stereo shop and showed the guy what I wanted to do and he GAVE me a 70-2002 he'd cut out of another vehicle...saved $15. Best Buy didn't have the parts so I got them here:

http://www.thezeb.com/Search.aspx?Keyword=71-2002

http://www.thezeb.com/Search.aspx?Keyword=70-2002

oh yeah one 70-2002 doesn't have enough wires anymore like you said would happen.

anyways, thanks for the mod.

--------------------
'02Z, couple of mods -Rick

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jun 2 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Platinum Member

Glad it worked out for you! Do you notice much distortion when you push the volume?

~Matt

--------------------

+Quote Post
zwc94
post Jun 2 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #9

At normal listening levels I don't have any distortion at all, when I really crank it on FM radio I get some if the bass/treble are maxed. If I'm listening to a CD I don't get any unless the song has a LOT of bass in it.

Before I would always leave the head-unit's EQ on the C/W setting (country western) and now I'm putting it on Pop. With the EQ off I now have the bass around 45% and the treble about 70%+. Before the mod I'd crank both the bass/treble to 90% and just leave them there.

Of course being able to crank them both to 100% now and have full range is really sweet..

Rick

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonota
post Jun 5 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #10

Bronze Member

Member No.: 918

This sounds interesting, could someone enlighten me as to exactly what this is all about??? I still have the factory amp and sub, but I am running a panasonic head unit and kenwood components in the stock locations. I get a bit of bass, and enough to be happy I suppose, but I would like some more. Although, it sounds like I am maxing out the stock sub already... I have wondered about putting in a better 8" to replace it, or if a 10" or 12" box and sub would fit in the stock location... any inputs???

Jonota

--------------------
2010 Suburban 5.3 LT K1500

+Quote Post
zwc94
post Jun 6 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #11

Basically all the wiring harness does is route the sound from the headunit directly to the door speakers. The three speakers in the rear (two on the pillar and the sub) are still routed through the amp.

The pdf explains it, but in a nutshell:

Sound goes from the headunit to the amp. Inside the amp, the low frequencies are pulled out of the audio stream for the door speakers. This sound now goes to the door speakers. It is not amplified but has much of its bass removed. Sound also goes from the amp to the rear three speakers and is amplified but the two tweeters only get highs, sub only gets lows.

Probably this would work for you with a different head-unit/speakers as long as you're using the factory wiring (you probably have an adapter that plugs the headunit into the factory wiring. ) Your audio is still hitting the factory amp so still getting the low frequencies pulled out of the door speakers. Don't know about a larger sub in the stock location. If you find out let me know that'd be pretty cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mgexsa
post Jun 7 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 877

Forgive my ignorance please. Right now everything is stock in 02 non BOSE. I went to Best buy to get the harnesses (which they had), and explained what I was trying to do. He said that it seemed like a lot of work, for not alot of gain. His recommendation was for a new HU. If I got a new one (Pioneer that fits in the 1.5DIN) would that run to the stock crossover / amp? If so how would that benefit the sound?

+Quote Post
zwc94
post Jun 7 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #13

I did this mod based on cost; $30-$40 is a lot cheaper than a new head-unit.

But yes, the new Pioneer head-unit even if it has a higher speaker output, will still run through that factory amp and have its lows removed from the door speakers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chuckee98
post Jun 7 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #14

Bronze Member

Member No.: 677

QUOTE (Mgexsa @ Jun 7 2005, 03:00 AM)
He said that it seemed like a lot of work, for not alot of gain.

That's not true. It's a noticeable gain, without replacing the head unit. I did it in mine because I had no intention at that time in replacing my head unit because I did not want to lose the automatic sound compensation (or whatever it's called that adjusts the volume based on speed), and the rear seat audio (and I'm sure someone will tell me that there is an adapter for this). Volume is no longer a priority for me, since having kids dictates how loud you can play it, and the type of music you listen to blink.gif . Radio Disney AM doesn't have a lot of high fidelity in it. laugh.gif

By the way, the sales guy wouldn't be able to give you a true assessment, because I'm sure he hasn't experienced the before and after firsthand.

This post has been edited by chuckee98: Jun 7 2005, 01:52 PM

+Quote Post
Carlitos
post Aug 14 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #15

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,177

OK, just read the PDF file on this post, and I have a quick quesiton..if I replace the 2-ohm subwoofer with a 4 ohm subwoofer, what will happen? Do I need to unplug the rear tweeters from the cargo area?

The factory got replaced, but I'm leery on plugging it in until I'm sure it won't bust up...

Also, I removed the factory speaker enclosure filler (looks like the same mat they use under the carpet), and replaced with the polyester wadding..good idea, or pretty useless?

Thanks in advance!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CIMG0049.JPG ( 69.25K ) Number of downloads: 86

--------------------

+Quote Post
calcutta6
post Jan 18 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,996

[SIZE=7]Ok, here is my question. It seems that the dash size in the 02' and 03' are the same. what would it take to put the 03' air controls and cd player in an 02' dash?

If that is not possible, what kind of power does the stock sub have running to it right now anyway? is it posssible to upgrade the sub that is in there and get better sound?

--------------------
[SIZE=7][COLOR=red]

+Quote Post
Toasty
post Jan 18 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Gold Member

Member No.: 672

QUOTE (calcutta6 @ Jan 18 2006, 03:21 PM)
[SIZE=7]Ok, here is my question. It seems that the dash size in the 02' and 03' are the same. what would it take to put the 03' air controls and cd player in an 02' dash?

If that is not possible, what kind of power does the stock sub have running to it right now anyway? is it posssible to upgrade the sub that is in there and get better sound?

not gonna happen putting the 03 stuff in the 02, electrical system is totally different. sorry

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 18 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #18

Platinum Member

Agreed, no 03 in an 02.

Concerning the sub, I would say that by doing the bypass you will get cleaner power pushing the sub, but just replacing it will probably yield very little improvment. To get the best results you will want to add a new amp and sub.

--------------------

+Quote Post
calcutta6
post Jan 19 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,996

can i put my new sub in the old sub enclosure and is a place to mount the amp that noone including me can see it?

--------------------
[SIZE=7][COLOR=red]

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 19 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Platinum Member

You can put another 8" sub in the stock location. As for the amp mounting, you just need to be creative. Some have mounted under 2nd row seats. You could mount an amp in the compartment above the rear driver side wheel too.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 05:26 PM