IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller Add On?
FSUDAVE
post Nov 27 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,440

I've searched everywhere and still haven't found anyone who has successfully done this. Except for the guy who spent $1000 in parts. I just bought a 2011 Tahoe LT with trailer package but no controller. I'm hoping that since they are now available as an actual option, that most of the parts would be the same. It looks like you need the knee bolster, switch and brake relay. My only problem is that I can't locate the plug near the back that goes into the relay. So I'm thinking you may need a whole new wire harness?
Has anyone else come up with any new information? Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DragonballZ71
post Jan 24 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,921

QUOTE (FSUDAVE @ Nov 27 2011, 09:09 PM) *
I've searched everywhere and still haven't found anyone who has successfully done this. Except for the guy who spent $1000 in parts. I just bought a 2011 Tahoe LT with trailer package but no controller. I'm hoping that since they are now available as an actual option, that most of the parts would be the same. It looks like you need the knee bolster, switch and brake relay. My only problem is that I can't locate the plug near the back that goes into the relay. So I'm thinking you may need a whole new wire harness?

FSUDAVE,

You won't have to spend $1000s in parts to get a brake controller to function with your existing trailer package. Check out Etrailer.com. Scroll down and you'll find an installation video for a 2011 Chevy Silverado with a factory installed trailer package. The wires for connecting the trailer brake controller harness are located right above the brake pedal. Etrailer.com has a large selection of trailer brake controllers that include the necessary wiring harness to connect the brake controller to your trailer package. Hope this helps! thumbsup.png

DragonballZ71

This post has been edited by DragonballZ71: Jan 24 2012, 04:32 PM

--------------------

2003 Tahoe Z71, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar Winch Mount Bumper, Warn VR12000 Winch, Spectre CAI, Black Bear Tune, National Luna Split Charge System, 4Hi Headlight mod, Driving Lights, Peripheral I-pod Stereo adapter, RCI 2950DX w/Wilson5k Mag mount antenna, ORU Defender Roof Rack, Rear Roof Rack and Rear Bumper Mounted Back up lights, Catback exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series muffler & dual stainless exhaust tips, 6" Fabtech Suspension Lift w/Rancho shocks, Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars, 17X10.5 Raceline Wheels, 35" Toyo MTs

Mods to come: TAG Rear Bumper with swing out spare tire carrier, ORU defender light cage, LED Interior Lights, Projector headlight housings w/HID headlights, PIAA or KC Driving & Fog Lights, LED tail lights, Tail Light Guards, headers, E-fans....She's still a work in progress!

My Tahoe Z71 Garage
My Silverado Z71 Garage

+Quote Post
Rollin Thunder
post Jan 24 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Lug Nut

Member No.: 7,509

Unless to want the functionality and looks of a factory brake controller I'm going to reccommend you save your self the hassle and just go aftermarket. I really dislike my factory one. IMO my set up I had in my old truck where the controller applied the same amount of brake pressed as I had applied by foot to the truck. Much simpler and IMO worked better.

--------------------
2014 BMW 435I Coupe. 2014 Suburban LTZ 4x4. 2014 Chevy Silverado 6.2 High Country CCSB 4x4. 2013 BMW x5 Diesel 4x4 2007 corvette vert, not 4x4.

+Quote Post
Goose2448
post Jan 28 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Bronze Member

Member No.: 13,865

I'd just go aftermarket. Faster install, works better. My uncle has the integrated one in his 2011 2500HD, works ok. I have a drawtight, in the F550, and its slow to hit the brakes on the trailer. I also have limited adjustment with it. Being able to choose more than .5 settings would be nice.

But whatever you decide to do, take lots of pics.

--------------------
2005 Chevy Suburban Z71-sold 1-2-13
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 Druamax 4x4 DRW

+Quote Post
carsport
post Jan 28 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #5

Platinum Member

Member No.: 8,922

QUOTE (DragonballZ71 @ Jan 24 2012, 03:52 PM) *

FSUDAVE,

You won't have to spend $1000s in parts to get a brake controller to function with your existing trailer package. Check out Etrailer.com. Scroll down and you'll find an installation video for a 2011 Chevy Silverado with a factory installed trailer package. The wires for connecting the trailer brake controller harness are located right above the brake pedal. Etrailer.com has a large selection of trailer brake controllers that include the necessary wiring harness to connect the brake controller to your trailer package. Hope this helps! thumbsup.png

DragonballZ71

You realize he wanted the factory integrated controller right?

--------------------
"If anyone buys a GM anything this year then they're a f****** retard." -RollinThunder (immediately before buying a 2013 Sierra)

2002 Quadrasteer Sierra Denali

SOLD 2003 Z71 Tahoe
SOLD 2001 Yukon XL 2500 4x4

+Quote Post
DragonballZ71
post Feb 8 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,921

QUOTE (carsport @ Jan 28 2012, 05:43 PM) *
QUOTE (DragonballZ71 @ Jan 24 2012, 03:52 PM) *

FSUDAVE,

DragonballZ71

You realize he wanted the factory integrated controller right?

I don't see where he said he wanted a "Factory" brake controller. He asked for information and I gave it to him. Besides, it's not that difficult to hook up the brake controller of HIS choice. His truck is already pre-wired to add the brake controller since he got it with the trailer package. dry.gif

DBZ71

This post has been edited by DragonballZ71: Feb 8 2012, 11:51 AM

--------------------

2003 Tahoe Z71, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar Winch Mount Bumper, Warn VR12000 Winch, Spectre CAI, Black Bear Tune, National Luna Split Charge System, 4Hi Headlight mod, Driving Lights, Peripheral I-pod Stereo adapter, RCI 2950DX w/Wilson5k Mag mount antenna, ORU Defender Roof Rack, Rear Roof Rack and Rear Bumper Mounted Back up lights, Catback exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series muffler & dual stainless exhaust tips, 6" Fabtech Suspension Lift w/Rancho shocks, Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars, 17X10.5 Raceline Wheels, 35" Toyo MTs

Mods to come: TAG Rear Bumper with swing out spare tire carrier, ORU defender light cage, LED Interior Lights, Projector headlight housings w/HID headlights, PIAA or KC Driving & Fog Lights, LED tail lights, Tail Light Guards, headers, E-fans....She's still a work in progress!

My Tahoe Z71 Garage
My Silverado Z71 Garage

+Quote Post
carsport
post Feb 8 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #7

Platinum Member

Member No.: 8,922

QUOTE (DragonballZ71 @ Feb 8 2012, 11:48 AM) *
I don't see where he said he wanted a "Factory" brake controller. He asked for information and I gave it to him. Besides, it's not that difficult to hook up the brake controller of HIS choice. His truck is already pre-wired to add the brake controller since he got it with the trailer package. dry.gif

DBZ71

I'm hoping that since they are now available as an actual option, that most of the parts would be the same. It looks like you need the knee bolster, switch and brake relay.

Why would he think he would need a new knee bolster if he wanted an aftermarket brake controller?

I highly recommend a Tekonsha Prodigy (I think the P3) were aftermarket to be one of his options. Just be sure to mount it level so the internal gyroscope doesn't activate the brakes automatically.

Some people just try to keep everything stock. I do really like how OEM the integrated controller looks.

----

On the other hand, if price is an issue - you can pick up a decent brake controller for under $50. I had to get one in a pinch for this truck and went that route.

This post has been edited by carsport: Feb 8 2012, 12:34 PM

--------------------
"If anyone buys a GM anything this year then they're a f****** retard." -RollinThunder (immediately before buying a 2013 Sierra)

2002 Quadrasteer Sierra Denali

SOLD 2003 Z71 Tahoe
SOLD 2001 Yukon XL 2500 4x4

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 07:02 PM