Transfer Case Fluid
Dusty
post Sep 17 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #1

Silver Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 423

[soapbox]

I changed the fluid a couple weeks ago, but I never got around to asking the questions on the forum.

I purchased the autotrac II fluid from the dealer. My service manuals says it takes two quarts. I pulled the bottom bolt, drained it for 15 minutes. I could only stuff about 1.1 quarts into the thing. I was so certain that it would take two quarts that I ended up overflowing the heck out of the thing and got myself quite messy. Has anyone else changed this fluid and found that it takes fluid less than expected? And does everyone agree that it's a PITA to fill? And it would be easier if it were in a gear oil bottle instead of a engine oil container. My twist tube doesn't seal well on those containers.

Maybe one of you guys have a better method?

mad.gif

[/soapbox]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 17 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

I did mine on the 'rado a while back. It was a PITA. I have one of the twist tube things with the funnel. It worked better. Next time I'll probably force feed it with the Mity-vac. I used about 1-1/2 quarts on mine.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
99Z71Tahoe
post Sep 20 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 813

courtesy of Fly-N-Hi offroad website....
Don't know if this helps or not....

"If you are tired of making messes when filling your differentials. transmissions or transfer cases, take a dishwashing liquid bottle top and screw it on the bottle of gear lube."

or...

"When changing the axle, transfer case and transmission fluids in my truck, I use an angle spark plug boot, clamp, and a fuel line hose to get the oil in difficult to reach fill holes. The angle spark plug boot keeps the line from kinking."

Other helpful hints see...

Fly-N-Hi Tech tips....

--------------------
Big boy toys, motors and lights
Knobs and switches and four-wheel-drive...

user posted image

+Quote Post
jburban
post Sep 20 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,005

I like those tips. Never knew that gas didn't disolve soap. I will have to try that.

+Quote Post
99Z71Tahoe
post Sep 21 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 813

QUOTE (jburban @ Sep 20 2005, 10:58 AM)
I like those tips. Never knew that gas didn't disolve soap. I will have to try that.

Hopefully you'll never have to....

--------------------
Big boy toys, motors and lights
Knobs and switches and four-wheel-drive...

user posted image

+Quote Post
threadcutter
post Apr 5 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,666

QUOTE(Dusty @ Sep 17 2005, 03:26 PM) [snapback]38028[/snapback]

[soapbox]

I changed the fluid a couple weeks ago, but I never got around to asking the questions on the forum.

I purchased the autotrac II fluid from the dealer. My service manuals says it takes two quarts. I pulled the bottom bolt, drained it for 15 minutes. I could only stuff about 1.1 quarts into the thing. I was so certain that it would take two quarts that I ended up overflowing the heck out of the thing and got myself quite messy. Has anyone else changed this fluid and found that it takes fluid less than expected? And does everyone agree that it's a PITA to fill? And it would be easier if it were in a gear oil bottle instead of a engine oil container. My twist tube doesn't seal well on those containers.

Maybe one of you guys have a better method?

mad.gif

[/soapbox]

Buy a cheap version of the squeeze bulb like what is used on an outboard motor fuel can line. It'll have barbs on both ends, so a piece of rubber hose, cut to length for each end will do the trick. On the end that goes into the fluid container, cut a couple of "tent notches" in the end so that it won't try to suck up the bottom of the container.

Works like a champ.

+Quote Post
Dave in Mpls
post Apr 7 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,587

Good grief!!!

Spend the $5 and pick up one of these or similar. Works great for transfer cases and front differentials.

The New Venture 246 tranfer case in these trucks takes just shy of 2 quarts to fill. If you only got 1.1 quarts into it, either not all the fluid got drained or it isn't full.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  55_001__Small_.jpeg ( 19.99K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
'04 Z71 Suburban
'02 LT Suburban

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 12:27 AM