Reply to this topicStart new topic
Service 4wd Message On Dic
soldier74
post Nov 8 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Silver Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 12,022

As I was heading up to Fort Worth yesterday, the truck was doing great, with the seafoam treatment, fuel treatment, and the throttle body cleaned up she was sounding and accelearating great (with an exception of my cluster f***ing up as usual). Out of nowhere this message comes on my DIC "Service 4WD"

What needs to happen when this message comes up? I checked the manual and the only thing I can find is info about the transfer case and when to change out the fluids.

I also noticed the transfer case went into Neutral cause the LED was on neutral on the dash. I got freaked out being that Im not that experienced with the 4WD system. It's always been on 2HI whenever I just drive normally. And whenever I do use the 4WD it switches over peacefully and easily and I have never had problems with it. 4WD is still just as functional right now.

Do I need to just change out the fluids or get it looked at?

Thanks for your help

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Nov 8 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 731

Most likely your encoder motor, could be the switch. There is a fix for the switch in the how to section. As for the encoder motor you can replace it yourself if your'e good with tools.

--------------------

2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
HokieNav
post Nov 8 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #3

Needs a Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,665

My Tahoe did that twice in the 6 years I owned it (about 2 or 3 days apart). If it doesn't come back, don't worry about it. If it does, Eppie nailed it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
soldier74
post Nov 8 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Silver Member

Yeah I figured as much. It hasn't come back on since so Im just gonna switch out the fluids just so I can sleep easy and just leave it alone.

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4

+Quote Post
soldier74
post Nov 8 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #5

Silver Member

Oh yeah I almost forgot......do any of your guy's dash get really warm/hot when you're driving. I noticed this as I was trying to adjust the temperature on my dashboard and the whole dash just felt really hot for some reason. I didn't have the heater on at all. I have the digital climate controls on mine. Sometimes when I have to disconnect my battery to zero out my cluster my AC will blow hot as h3ll even when I turn it down to 60. It will eventually go back to normal though, so its not too much of a concern. Just want to know if anybody else had this problem

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4

+Quote Post
subman
post Nov 20 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,972

Mine comes on once in awhile. When it does, it's usually have I go over a bump. It only happens a few times per month.

--------------------

2005 Suburban Z-71 - Ford keys, 1.5" spacers, Bilsteins, 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, K-Source towing mirrors, 6000K HID high beams, low beams and fog lights, , 20% tinted front sides, double tinted back windows, rebuilt transmission.

SOLD!!!

+Quote Post
soldier74
post Nov 20 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Silver Member

Good to know. That may be the case judging from these "great" texas roads.

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4

+Quote Post
jfsuper@ameritec...
post Dec 13 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,745

I have the service 4wd light on now and cant get any button to operate in the drive selection. Mine is a 2001 tahoe and this happened yesterday and then came back on. Thought it had gone away. By the way its 8 degrees outside. Any suggestions Help

+Quote Post
alphagtp
post Dec 30 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Bronze Member

Member No.: 11,276

so.....

This exact same thing happen to my wife a while ago, the service awd came on and the truck was stuck on 4H or 4L (idk exactly my wife was driving and I got the "call" but she couldn't tell what she was on) anyway when I got home I turned the truck on and everything was fine/normal. Toady I was driving it and the DIC showed "check pressure system" or something like that, related to the tpms and also the "service awd" the kept blinking one after the other one. I got home and turned the truck back on and the "service awd" was still there and on the 4wd panel/buttons there was no light, you know the one that tells you what mode you are on, but the truck was on 2wd, after turning the truck off and back on and the little light came on and evrything seemed normal again.

By reading this whole thread I think that is hte same probllem with the switch or the encoder, my question is: the transmission is completely fine? is just the 'electrical'?? Does the tpms message has something to do with this things too??

--------------------
2005 Tahoe z71
Keys & Spacers/ 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers/ Debadged/ Black Projector Headlights/ Black LED Turn Signals/ Lows & Fogs HID's/ Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light/ Smoked LED Taillights/ All Exterior LED's/ Window Tint "All" Around/ Smittybilt Bullbar/ Rear Bumper Guard/ Front Tow Hitch/ Plasit-Dipped Wheels/ Black Exhaust Tip/ Black Valance & Cladding/ Magnaflow/ Corvette Servo/ K&N CAI/ BB Tune/ MSDS wires/ All Interior LED's/ White Face Gauges/ Pillar Gauges Pod/ Articulated Headrests/ Full Custom Interior/ Sound System/ Excalibur Alarm System/ More to come...

+Quote Post
alphagtp
post Jan 15 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #10

Bronze Member

okay so going back into this, I went a looked at the selector switch and it looks just fine, all of the joints were/are perfect. I guess my problem is the actual switch now and I need to order it, where is it cheaper? I found that the item number for my 05' is #15136039, at gmpartsdirect is at $57.27, anybody knows anywhere cheaper?

--------------------
2005 Tahoe z71
Keys & Spacers/ 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers/ Debadged/ Black Projector Headlights/ Black LED Turn Signals/ Lows & Fogs HID's/ Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light/ Smoked LED Taillights/ All Exterior LED's/ Window Tint "All" Around/ Smittybilt Bullbar/ Rear Bumper Guard/ Front Tow Hitch/ Plasit-Dipped Wheels/ Black Exhaust Tip/ Black Valance & Cladding/ Magnaflow/ Corvette Servo/ K&N CAI/ BB Tune/ MSDS wires/ All Interior LED's/ White Face Gauges/ Pillar Gauges Pod/ Articulated Headrests/ Full Custom Interior/ Sound System/ Excalibur Alarm System/ More to come...

+Quote Post
2003_Z71
post Jan 20 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #11

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,021

If not the switch then try the sensor inside the encoder motor assembly. Part 88962315
Scan for current and history codes for C0327

--------------------
2003 Black Tahoe Z-71
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." -John Wayne in The Shootist

My Truckclick to view
2003 Tahoe
6" Skyjacker Lift
325/65/R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ's
18x9 Moto Metal 951 chrome wheels

+Quote Post
soldier74
post Jan 20 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #12

Silver Member

I'm waiting for my DIC to display "F**K YOU" before I start replacing anything. My 4WD worked fantastically last night as I helped pull a warrant officers mercedes out of the mud parking area at the .50 cal range.

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4

+Quote Post
2003_Z71
post Jan 20 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #13

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,021

QUOTE (soldier74 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:10 AM) *
I'm waiting for my DIC to display "F**K YOU" before I start replacing anything. My 4WD worked fantastically last night as I helped pull a warrant officers mercedes out of the mud parking area at the .50 cal range.

You're welcome. Glad I could help. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
2003 Black Tahoe Z-71
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." -John Wayne in The Shootist

My Truckclick to view
2003 Tahoe
6" Skyjacker Lift
325/65/R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ's
18x9 Moto Metal 951 chrome wheels

+Quote Post
soldier74
post Jan 20 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #14

Silver Member

QUOTE (2003_Z71 @ Jan 20 2011, 09:46 AM) *
QUOTE (soldier74 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:10 AM) *

You're welcome. Glad I could help. rolleyes.gif

Haha it was just sarcasm bud. It hasn't come back on in a while, it just seems whenever I get on the highway for an hour or more either the TPMS or the Service 4WD will go on and then go off.

I just figured my truck has a pissy attitude when it has to drive in cold weather for long periods of time.

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4

+Quote Post
alphagtp
post Feb 11 2011, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Bronze Member

So I don't think we need a new thread about this so here is the problem I'm having:

I started seeing the "service 4wd" message on my DIC so I went ahead and try to fix the 4x4 selector switch, didn't work. So I bought the new one from gmpartsdirect, I installed it and now the problem is back. The weird thing is that the actual selector would show that is in Neutral (red light) but the truck is just like normal (2wd and traction control on) it did that one time and another time it was on 4lo when we started it, once we pushed the 2wd it went right into it with no problem, so we are getting all kinds of crazy things going on, what else besides the 4x4 switch could be? I read that also the encoder could be the cause but If that was the case the actual gears would be messed up correct?

--------------------
2005 Tahoe z71

+Quote Post
soldier74
post Feb 11 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #16

Silver Member

Yeah I'm 90% sure its a bad encoder in my truck. The Service 4WD has come up on my DIC like ten times in the past two days. When the message isn't showing it shifts just fine. But when it comes up the transfer case won't let me get out of 2HI. The other night it went into auto 4 and wouldn't let me out.

--------------------

2005 Tahoe Z71 4X4

+Quote Post
alphagtp
post Feb 12 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #17

Bronze Member

see and the weird thing is that mine does that plus soemtimes the switch is in neutral and wont do anything but the truck is in normal gear and works just fine, so I'm driving around with the 4x4 switch in neutral. I should also mention that I noticed that all of this happens everytime I start the truck so I get a different thing each time boxed.gif

--------------------
2005 Tahoe z71

+Quote Post
GASouthernZ71
post Feb 12 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #18

Silver Member

Member No.: 9,781

Ok man I hate to jack your thread but my phone won't allow me to make a post in new topic.. There is no "post new topic button after I type everything out?

Anyways, I'm stranded on the side of the road.

I was tryin to head down to detail 08blackz71's truck and my CEL, abs, "brake", and service 4wd light came on with a bunch of beeps all at the same time. Pulled over and shut it off and now it won't start. I can put it in accessories and hear everything kick on but when I try to turn it past accessories (on) there is absolutely nothing. Not a noise from anywhere under the hood. Any ideas?

--------------------
Kyle

+Quote Post
alphagtp
post Feb 12 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #19

Bronze Member

QUOTE (GASouthernZ71 @ Feb 12 2011, 11:32 AM) *
Ok man I hate to jack your thread but my phone won't allow me to make a post in new topic.. There is no "post new topic button after I type everything out?

Anyways, I'm stranded on the side of the road.

I was tryin to head down to detail 08blackz71's truck and my CEL, abs, "brake", and service 4wd light came on with a bunch of beeps all at the same time. Pulled over and shut it off and now it won't start. I can put it in accessories and hear everything kick on but when I try to turn it past accessories (on) there is absolutely nothing. Not a noise from anywhere under the hood. Any ideas?

Hey I don't know if you were talking to me, but I just created a new thread on the 'problems, tsb, recalls' section for you so hopefully you will get help faster, If you don'yt want that let me know. I have no idea what your problem will be, mine doesnt do that

This post has been edited by alphagtp: Feb 12 2011, 11:44 AM

--------------------
2005 Tahoe z71

+Quote Post
GASouthernZ71
post Feb 12 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #20

Silver Member

Member No.: 9,781

I appreciate it man

--------------------
Kyle