Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rear Climate Control
DanM64
post Oct 7 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,812

My rear climate control doesn't seem to change temperature, just stays at a constant. I've tried with both the overhead control and the Aux control, it doesn' make a difference. I assume it's the temp control actuator or whatever it's called in the back beind the interior panel, right? If not, what else could it be, and if so, what's the best way to test to be sure that's the problem, it's getting to be colder, and I love having rear heat even when it's only me in it because the truck will warm up much faster!

--------------------

2008 Avalanche LTZ Graystone Metallic. Mods- Airaid Jr. CAI, AlphaTherm AT-37GM heated windshield washer system, WeatherTech Digital Fit floormats. Future Mods- BlackBear Tune, CAI, Nitto TG's. My Garage
2003 Tahoe Z71 Black. Mods- BlackBear Tune, Magnaflow cat-back, Volant CAI, E-fans, Silverado SS gauges, Ipod2Car adapter, Z71t-s.com stickers, Amber DRLs. R.I.P. Old Friend. My Garage
1995 Caprice 9C1 White. LT1. Retired Orland Park, IL P.D. Unit #7211.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 7 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Definitely check the rear blend actuator. This is probably your culprit.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
DanM64
post Oct 7 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Silver Member

CG, what is the proper way to check it? Should I just pick up a new one and see it that solves my problem, or is there an easy way to bench test it?

--------------------

2008 Avalanche LTZ Graystone Metallic. Mods- Airaid Jr. CAI, AlphaTherm AT-37GM heated windshield washer system, WeatherTech Digital Fit floormats. Future Mods- BlackBear Tune, CAI, Nitto TG's. My Garage
2003 Tahoe Z71 Black. Mods- BlackBear Tune, Magnaflow cat-back, Volant CAI, E-fans, Silverado SS gauges, Ipod2Car adapter, Z71t-s.com stickers, Amber DRLs. R.I.P. Old Friend. My Garage

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 7 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

If you unscrew it and have the electrical connections connected, you should be able to rotate the blend control (set the front to Aux control if you use the rear controller) and watch it move. It may be easier if you have someone else help turn the knob.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
DanM64
post Oct 8 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Silver Member

Thanks CG, I'll hopefully get to it in the next week or so. I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
cdarnell
post Oct 13 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,017

Could be the actuator but more likely the Aux HVAC control module (GM part # 15832319). I just went through this on my 06 Tahoe Z71 and replacing the module fixed the problem. TSB covering the problem, with part numbers, listed below:

#06-01-39-015A: Unable to Control Rear HVAC Temperature or Modes, Intermittent Ticking Noise from Rear HVAC Actuators or Rear HVAC DTCs B0434 or B3764 (Replace Auxiliary HVAC Control Module) - (Jan 12, 2007)

Subject: Unable To Control Rear HVAC Temperature Or Modes, Intermittent Ticking Noise From Rear HVAC Actuators Or Rear HVAC DTCs B0434 Or B3764 (Replace Auxiliary HVAC Control Module)

Models: 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2006 GMC Yukon Models

with Automatic Control HVAC System and Rear A/C (RPOs CJ2 and C69)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to correct one of the blower motor control module part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-01-39-015 (Section 01 -- HVAC).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

An intermittent ticking/clicking noise from the rear Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system.

Unable to control rear HVAC system temperature.

Unable to change rear HVAC system modes.

Technicians may find that Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B0434 and/or B3764 have been set.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by HVAC actuators that hunt for the correct position. This cycling may cause a clicking or ticking noise.

An overtravel of the HVAC system control doors may cause one or more of the above system conditions. If an overtravel occurs, a DTC will be set, and the door will go to a preset default position.

When a system door defaults, that door will stay at the default position until the DTC is cleared. Clearing the DTC will allow the door to operate properly until the overtravel condition reoccurs. The following table lists the DTCs that may have been set and the door that is associated with that code.

Overtravel DTC
System Door Affected

B0434
Auxiliary (rear) Air Temperature Actuator

B3764
Auxiliary (rear) Mode Actuator

Correction
Technicians are to replace the auxiliary (rear) HVAC control module with the part number listed in the table below. Refer to the Auxiliary Heater and Air Conditioning Control Module Replacement procedure in SI for more information. This module contains a new calibration to compensate for the actuator overtravel condition and the hunting/clicking noises. The new calibration effectively eliminates DTCs B0434 and B3764. The new control module also eliminates the default position of the doors associated with the DTC. The new control module will allow door travel from counts 0 to 255 without setting a DTC or defaulting the door.

The new auxiliary HVAC control module is compatible with either the first or second design blower motor control module. When using the new auxiliary HVAC control module, the customer may notice a slight increase in the rear blower motor speed (approximately 50 rpm) at a given setting, as compared to the blower motor speed at the same setting with the original HVAC control module. If the customer comments that the increase in blower speed at a given setting is objectionable, the blower motor control module may be replaced with the second design part listed below to correct the slight increase in speed.

The revised auxiliary HVAC control module should not be used unless one or both of the DTCs are set or one or more of the conditions listed above are present. The revised auxiliary HVAC control module will not correct any other DTC or Air Conditioning (A/C) performance concern.

Parts Information
Auxiliary HVAC Control Module Part Number
Description
Qty

Module Assembly-Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control

The blower motor control modules listed below should not be used unless the customer finds the change in blower speeds between the original and the new auxiliary HVAC control modules objectionable.

Blower Motor Control Modules Part Number
Part Description
Vehicle Application
Quantity

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control (Auxiliary Blower Motor Control Module) (Second Design)
Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon (vehicles with a short wheelbase)

Module Assembly, Auxiliary Heater & A/C Control (Auxiliary Blower Motor Control Module) (Second Design)
Escalade ESV, Suburban, Yukon XL (vehicles with a long wheelbase)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

D0901
Module, HVAC Control-Auxiliary - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add
With Third Row Seat

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

--------------------
2006 Z71 Tahoe
Wichita, KS

+Quote Post
snarkes
post Oct 13 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #7

Silver Member

Member No.: 8,177

Crap... My truck started doing the clicking sound in the rear... dry.gif

"• An intermittent ticking/clicking noise from the rear Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system."

Hey Cdarnell

how hard is this unit to replace?

This post has been edited by snarkes: Oct 13 2009, 03:17 PM

--------------------

-Grant-
2004 Z71 Tahoe - Ford Keys, 2" Spacers, 285 BFGs, 5100 Bils, Spectre CAI, 5000K HIDs, Black Bear Performance Tune, Magnaflow XL Turbo, Taylor Thundervolts, PIAA 510 Covers, Aries Brushguard, DEPO Projectors, Clear Corners
Sold - 1998 Tahoe - 4" Rancho Lift, Nerf Bars, Polar Bear Brush Guard, Pro Comp 17" Series 1079 Wheels, X-terrains, Dual FM Exhaust, JET Chip, K&N CAI, Billet Bowtie, Clear Corners and Headlights, Stampede Bug Deflector

+Quote Post
east302
post Oct 20 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,505

QUOTE (snarkes @ Oct 13 2009, 03:00 PM) *
Crap... My truck started doing the clicking sound in the rear... dry.gif

" An intermittent ticking/clicking noise from the rear Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system."

Hey Cdarnell

how hard is this unit to replace?

Take off the rear passenger side panel in the cargo area and the control module is right there. It has two blue clips where the wiring connects. Easy swap.

Here's a link with a picture...

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....showtopic=14892

+Quote Post
snarkes
post Oct 20 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #9

Silver Member

QUOTE (east302 @ Oct 20 2009, 09:24 PM) *
Take off the rear passenger side panel in the cargo area and the control module is right there. It has two blue clips where the wiring connects. Easy swap.

AMAZING! so this stopped that clicking/whirring/buzzing sound that was coming from back there? from the looks of your picture I'd say the trouble module is number 2 like it was for you (at least thats the area that the sound is coming from on mine).

I see you had issues when you went to replace it with it not working properly. What did you end up doing to make it work?

--------------------

-Grant-
2004 Z71 Tahoe - Ford Keys, 2" Spacers, 285 BFGs, 5100 Bils, Spectre CAI, 5000K HIDs, Black Bear Performance Tune, Magnaflow XL Turbo, Taylor Thundervolts, PIAA 510 Covers, Aries Brushguard, DEPO Projectors, Clear Corners
Sold - 1998 Tahoe - 4" Rancho Lift, Nerf Bars, Polar Bear Brush Guard, Pro Comp 17" Series 1079 Wheels, X-terrains, Dual FM Exhaust, JET Chip, K&N CAI, Billet Bowtie, Clear Corners and Headlights, Stampede Bug Deflector

+Quote Post
east302
post Oct 21 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,505

QUOTE (snarkes @ Oct 20 2009, 09:43 PM) *
QUOTE (east302 @ Oct 20 2009, 09:24 PM) *

AMAZING! so this stopped that clicking/whirring/buzzing sound that was coming from back there? from the looks of your picture I'd say the trouble module is number 2 like it was for you (at least thats the area that the sound is coming from on mine).

I see you had issues when you went to replace it with it not working properly. What did you end up doing to make it work?

My picture in that thread was a little hard to see. Here's a better one...

1- Hot/Cold actuator
2- Floor/Ceiling actuator
3- Control module #15832319 with the two blue clips

I first replaced the control module and the actuator quit hunting but stayed in one place. I then replaced the hot/cold actuator and it's been working ever since...knock on wood. I guess both parts were bad?? Dunno why it worked like that.

I do have another one of these actuators under my driver side dash that ticks when you select a floor/dash vent combination. It drives me nuts but looks like a real bear to get to so I haven't fooled with it.

This post has been edited by east302: Oct 21 2009, 08:28 AM

+Quote Post
snarkes
post Oct 21 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #11

Silver Member

QUOTE (east302 @ Oct 21 2009, 10:25 AM) *

1- Hot/Cold actuator

I first replaced the control module and the actuator quit hunting but stayed in one place. I then replaced the hot/cold actuator and it's been working ever since...knock on wood. I guess both parts were bad?? Dunno why it worked like that.

I do have another one of these actuators under my driver side dash that ticks when you select a floor/dash vent combination. It drives me nuts but looks like a real bear to get to so I haven't fooled with it.

That does clear things up a bit. So I'm fairly certain that I need to replace the control module (3)... does the module going bad make the actuator go bad as well? Looking at these it shouldnt be too hard to replace both and the part (at least the module) is only 70 bucks at gmpartsdirect.com

That hunting (whirs/buzzes/clicks) is just real annoying when theres no music on even though its pretty faint. I honestly havent even gotten in the back to see what if any issues my rear ac has.

--------------------

-Grant-

+Quote Post
04BlackZ71
post Aug 12 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Bronze Member

Member No.: 5,810

QUOTE (snarkes @ Oct 21 2009, 08:49 AM) *
QUOTE (east302 @ Oct 21 2009, 10:25 AM) *

1- Hot/Cold actuator

That does clear things up a bit. So I'm fairly certain that I need to replace the control module (3)... does the module going bad make the actuator go bad as well? Looking at these it shouldnt be too hard to replace both and the part (at least the module) is only 70 bucks at gmpartsdirect.com

That hunting (whirs/buzzes/clicks) is just real annoying when theres no music on even though its pretty faint. I honestly havent even gotten in the back to see what if any issues my rear ac has.

I replaced all three of these and it still doesnt work.

--------------------

'04 Black Z71 Tahoe pimpin 17's

'03 Blue BMW 745LI 155mph no problem

+Quote Post
HokieNav
post Aug 12 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #13

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 3,665

QUOTE (04BlackZ71 @ Aug 12 2010, 05:40 PM) *
I replaced all three of these and it still doesnt work.

QUOTE (cdarnell @ Oct 13 2009, 04:14 PM) *
When a system door defaults, that door will stay at the default position until the DTC is cleared. Clearing the DTC will allow the door to operate properly until the overtravel condition reoccurs. The following table lists the DTCs that may have been set and the door that is associated with that code.

Maybe try to disconnect the battery to clear the code.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patl
post Aug 16 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,634

Try this to re-calibrate. Worked for me to stop the ticking on the front actuator.

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....st&p=373243

+Quote Post
arvetus
post Oct 27 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #15

Bronze Member

Member No.: 12,350

I'm also having the issue with the rear climate control. I can switch modes from floor to blend to ceiling, it's just the temp won't change. It just blows cold. I'm assuming that because I can switch modes, fan speeds, etc, the control module is still ok, just the hot/cold actuator has failed?

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71
BlackBear Performance Tune -- Dual Battery -- Efans / BBP Harness -- 285/70/17 Cooper AT3's -- 25% front / 5% rear tint -- Hellwig Sways -- Spohn Panhard Bar
Valentine 1 (1.85 (3.894)) -- iSimple Gateway
FCC Licensed Amateur Radio Operator - General Class -- ARES/RACES/Skywarn
Kenwood TM-v71a / Diamond SG7500NMO (2m/70cm)
Yaesu FT-2400 (2m / APRS)
Cobra 18WXSTII / Antennex C27
Icom 706 MKIIG (HF) / MFJ-945E (base and mobile)

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 27 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #16

Needs a Life!

That would be what I'd would check first if everything else works.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
arvetus
post Oct 27 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #17

Bronze Member

Cool, I'll give that a shot!!

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71
BlackBear Performance Tune -- Dual Battery -- Efans / BBP Harness -- 285/70/17 Cooper AT3's -- 25% front / 5% rear tint -- Hellwig Sways -- Spohn Panhard Bar

+Quote Post
arvetus
post Oct 29 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #18

Bronze Member

Well, got my new hot/cold actuator today and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. And as far as I can tell, it's not even moving, even the new one. Wonder if the control module is out. Would the module still have a chance of being the culprit even though I can switch other modes?

Also, since I have performed the calibration, I get the ticking noise in the front unit sad.gif

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71

+Quote Post
Joe1129uscg
post Oct 29 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #19

Gold Member

Member No.: 10,158

I hope you didnt plug the actuater in before you installed it on the AC box....for some reason they dont work when you do that (wont work ever again) I got lucky a couple times and the dealer exchanged them before I figured the error of my ways.

Does the ticking noise sound like its behind the steering wheel area? If yes there is yet another acuator there, its called the "Mode actuator" and it controls where the vents the air flow goes too. The mode actator is much cheaper than the temp actuators.

--------------------
QUOTE (1badburb @ Dec, 17th 2011, HWY 114 & 35W)
"I don't drive like this all the time, I just know that you guys can appreciate the sound"
The "sound" 6.2 380HP full throttle w/K&N Intake, 7-10 runs in a 6 hour span...

+Quote Post
arvetus
post Oct 29 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #20

Bronze Member

QUOTE (Joe1129uscg @ Oct 29 2010, 07:45 PM) *
I hope you didnt plug the actuater in before you installed it on the AC box....for some reason they dont work when you do that (wont work ever again) I got lucky a couple times and the dealer exchanged them before I figured the error of my ways.

Does the ticking noise sound like its behind the steering wheel area? If yes there is yet another acuator there, its called the "Mode actuator" and it controls where the vents the air flow goes too. The mode actator is much cheaper than the temp actuators.

I put the actuator in place, put the screws in and then plugged in the electrical harness. Then I went and pulled the under-hood HVAC/ECAS fuse for a little more than 10 seconds, plugged it back in, started the engine and let it run for a minute or so. Then I started adjusting the temps in the rear only to find nothing changed.

Then I disconnected the battery for about half an hour, hoping to clear any codes if any were set, and also perform another reset - still no dif.

As far as the clicking in the front, yes, that is where it is coming from. Also, it seems as if the driver side fan blows faster than the passenger fan.

I may end up just taking it in...I'm getting up against the wire when it comes to ordering parts over the internet and finding time in the evenings to install... Leaving to go "up north" (to Michigan) in a couple weeks. Would like to have heat in the back so my daughter doesn't get too cold. Last time we went up this time of year, it got COLD once we got out of Arkansas (15 degrees F and below!) The 'hoe is a big vehicle to heat, but might have to pack her an extra blanket smile.gif

This post has been edited by arvetus: Oct 29 2010, 09:39 PM

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 04:49 PM