Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tahoe Suburban DRL's with High Beams Mod
Scott
post Jul 11 2004, 01:40 AM
Post #1

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

4 Ways & DRL's Done! Write up forthcoming.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  4way_DRLs.jpg ( 22.45K ) Number of downloads: 350

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 11 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Write up complete!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DRLs_on_with_High_Beams_Mod.pdf ( 77.98K ) Number of downloads: 2170

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 11 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Scott, when you get the fogs wired in, that is gonna be one bright truck coming down the road. laugh.gif Might just need a couple of daylighters just in case someone doesn't see you. unsure.gif

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 11 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

Actually, the DRL's are considerably dimmer and are totally overwhlemed by the high and low beams - but they do help fill the picture. wink.gif

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
JOCWW
post Jul 22 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #5

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

drls are daytime driving lights rite

--------------------
2002 LT 4x4 2500 Dirty MAX ccsb full floater black Silverado custom port and polish intake tube, dual optimas, 5in exhaust, cb radio, above mirror guages, black out front/rear end, Go Rhino 6 step side bars .
2002 z71 Tahoe champagne clear corners speed grill silverstars and 20 in palmettos with 295 r 50s thanks cortney for the hookup" Powdercoated black stock rims shod with 305s and a big red 5 ft cb antenna out back with a bearcat cb in dash
2004 z71 Tahoe black all stock
some people never grow up.... and your living proof. Thanks dad I love you too

I love having the last word.... my dad will tell you.
for you myspace people girlscuddlebug69 Facebook jocww@aol.com
My Myspace page
I miss you already mom, I love you.
Your son Jon

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jul 22 2004, 06:12 AM
Post #6

Platinum Member

Member No.: 4

Correct, Daytime Running Lights...

~bekind

--------------------
Gone but not forgotten...
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 Summit White, 5.3L
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

Replaced with 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser all stock

+Quote Post
BLWright
post Jul 28 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #7

The Mod Squad

Member No.: 31

scott, the relay you're using. is it just a regular SPDT?

--------------------
If I want any of your lip, I'll jiggle my zipper.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 28 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #8

Needs a Life!

Hi BL,

Yes, you could use a SPDT or SPST - NO (Normally Open), but I would highly recommend using the weather-proof versions of either Hella or Bosch in the 30a variety.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
BLWright
post Jul 28 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #9

The Mod Squad

Member No.: 31

Thanks.

--------------------
If I want any of your lip, I'll jiggle my zipper.

+Quote Post
03blackburb
post Aug 21 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 119

Here is a much simplier and cheaper way to do this using a 12 volt diode.
If you hook up the pins 85 on the high and low beam relays with a straight wire, you are providing "turn on" voltage to the two relays, and any other relays you want to turn on.
But, these relays (high beam AND low beam) will ALWAYS kick on as soon as your lights are commanded to turn on, both high and low. BAD IDEA. Nobody will like you anymore. Hence the need for the diode.
What the diode does (just a very cheap diode. Radio Shack. 12 volt works fine) is pass voltage in only a single direction. So, when you flick your brights on, voltage is passed from the high-beam relays, through the diode, to the low-beam relay, just as if you were using a straight wire with no diode. When you flick your lights to low beams, the diode BLOCKS the voltage traveling back to the high beam relay. That is why this works. This is also why the low-beam does NOT dim when you flick the high beams on with the diode installed as what happens with older, yet similar, modifications. When the relay kicks in, it is connecting a high current path for the lights. That part of the supply current is not affected by the modification. It is not even touched by the modification. A relay is used to keep the high current away from any controlling switch.
You can also add a wire from the lowbeam side of the diode to pin 85 on the DLR relay. This will keep the the DLRs on also. Another plus with this is that the fog lights will now work with out the headlights on.
Have my 03 sub wired like this for over a year with no problems.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Aug 21 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #11

Needs a Life!

Hi Blackburb,

Thanks for your feedback. I actually am running an integrated set up with a set of diodes that incorporates the highbeam, fog light and DRL in one fell swoop, while retaining all of the factory operation in non-highbeam situations.

The objective of these individual writes ups is to allow folks an ala carte install for each of the combinations individually so people can pick and choose a bit.

I'm actually slowly working through a write up that would accomplish all of the same, in any combination, without any relays at all. I'm sure you can guess what route I'm headed, but I'm really going back and forth over my preference of running thicker gauge at least to the headlights, which would require at least one relay.

Keep the ideas flowing - That's what it's all about!

Thx!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
rlarson
post Jan 5 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,527

I would like some clarification on the simple diode setup. Which way should the diode be set up? Cathode to the lights or to the power? I am no electrician so it would be nice to have some additional info on how to do this. I would also like to know if you can but a switch in this setup so you can switch on and off the full time lights if you like.

I'll bet there will be a time when having all lights on is not a good thing. Maybe during heavy fog???

Thanks
RLarson

--------------------
RLarson
Waco, TX
2003 Z71 Suburban

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jan 5 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #13

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 18

Cathode pointing towards the light and anode towards the power. That way the current is not flowing back towards the power side.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
rlarson
post Mar 18 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,527

I completed the driving light upgrade using the single diode and I have a question.

I noticed that when I pulled the relay and looked on the bottom of the relay that the numbers didn't correlate to the Pin setup shown on the fuse block cover. For instance, the pin on the relay showed 86 and not 85 as I would have thought. Any comments on this?

The lights work great and it was much easier than I thought.

--------------------
RLarson
Waco, TX
2003 Z71 Suburban

+Quote Post
greez
post May 5 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #15

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,696

Is it possible to do the 4-way mod and then wire both the fog lights and the DRL's into the low beams so I would have both on whenever my lights were on?

--------------------
IPB Image

02 Z71 Tahoe - Alpine CDE-9852 headunit, JL 12W7, JL 1000/1V2 amp, Alpine fullspeed Ipod connect, JL Audio TR component speakers, Viper SST security system, Cobra 19DXIV CB, 25 watt PA speaker, 300amp HO alternator, Roofrack lights, Ford keys, 285/70/17 Buckshot Mudders, AEM intake, Spintech Sportsman XL muffler with dual 4' black tips, TJM bumper, FF75 hella fog lamps, Warn SDB-120s, Warn SDB-160s, Warn 9000k winch, Yakima mega warrior rack, 4 KC daylighters, 6 walmart flood lights, 5% tint all around with a 7'
eyebrow strip

Garage

+Quote Post
Scott
post May 6 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #16

Needs a Life!

rlarson - Sorry I missed you question earlier. Swapping 85 & 86 doesn't really make a difference.

greez - Yes, but you do not want the DRL's on with the LB. Firstly, the bulb will wear out much quicker, and second, it's again the law to run more than 4 front facing lamps. As such, in LB mode I run the fogs and LBs - which is legal. Then in HB mode, I run the HB, LB, DRL's and Fogs - All on. This way, if I see another vehicle I turn them off quickly and go back to legal mode. That's a better scheme.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
ccoder32
post May 8 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #17

Silver Member

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (Scott @ May 6 2006, 08:53 AM)
rlarson - Sorry I missed you question earlier. Swapping 85 & 86 doesn't really make a difference.

greez - Yes, but you do not want the DRL's on with the LB. Firstly, the bulb will wear out much quicker, and second, it's again the law to run more than 4 front facing lamps. As such, in LB mode I run the fogs and LBs - which is legal. Then in HB mode, I run the HB, LB, DRL's and Fogs - All on. This way, if I see another vehicle I turn them off quickly and go back to legal mode. That's a better scheme.

I bet with your high beams on it looks a like a wall of head lights!
wink.gif

--------------------
Lots of mods -
Garage Photos

[this space for rent]

+Quote Post
Scott
post May 9 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #18

Needs a Life!

Spector did it with sound - I did it with lights! Yep, it's pretty bright.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  All_Lights_on.jpg ( 25.22K ) Number of downloads: 69

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
kbnana5
post Sep 28 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,031

I am contemplating the DRLs mod, but with a bit of a twist: I'd like mine to fire with the fog lights rather than the high beams. (I have amber DRLs and very pale yellow bulbs in my fogs -- and am trying to discipline myself to only use the fogs when it's actually foggy or rainy.)

I am thinking that I can follow the same directions as the high beams/DRLs mod, except I would tap into the purple wire of the fogs instead of tapping into the *blank* color wire of the high beams (wires on my truck are orange & yellow) . . . . . . right ?

I actually need to resolve an issue with the low/high, and fogs/high mods I tried to do yesterday, but this mod will be next. Should work, shouldn't it ?

--------------------
D. Phillips
'00 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS
'10 Volkswagen Jetta TDi

+Quote Post
Scott
post Sep 28 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #20

Needs a Life!

Please read my reply in the 4-way thread. Essentially what you have to do is reverse everything for each circuit as the earlier models switched the ground.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 12:48 AM