post Jul 9 2004, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Here is the complete procedure

This post has been edited by carguru: Nov 16 2004, 01:51 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  gm_steering_intermediate_shaft_lube_procedure.pdf ( 439.36K ) Number of downloads: 7274

--------------------
DC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jul 9 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #2

Platinum Member

Member No.: 4

carguru,

I must say that is a wonderful write up you have done! Very impressive!! I have had this performed twice by the dealers, now I would feel comfortable doing it myself. Thanks again for the fantastic post!!! biggrin.gif

~bekind

--------------------
Gone but not forgotten...
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 Summit White, 5.3L
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

Replaced with 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser all stock

+Quote Post
JOCWW
post Jul 27 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

what sucks is that it isnt covered under warranty and ther is no recall on it. i think thats total bs we spend this much for our suvs and they cant fix it. this has been done to our hoe 2x and its a 02 wtf is up with gm mad.gif

--------------------
2002 LT 4x4 2500 Dirty MAX ccsb full floater black Silverado custom port and polish intake tube, dual optimas, 5in exhaust, cb radio, above mirror guages, black out front/rear end, Go Rhino 6 step side bars .
2002 z71 Tahoe champagne clear corners speed grill silverstars and 20 in palmettos with 295 r 50s thanks cortney for the hookup" Powdercoated black stock rims shod with 305s and a big red 5 ft cb antenna out back with a bearcat cb in dash
2004 z71 Tahoe black all stock
some people never grow up.... and your living proof. Thanks dad I love you too

I love having the last word.... my dad will tell you.
for you myspace people girlscuddlebug69 Facebook jocww@aol.com
My Myspace page
I miss you already mom, I love you.
Your son Jon

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jul 28 2004, 05:40 AM
Post #4

Platinum Member

JOCCW,

This fix is absolutely covered under warrenty. This is a huge widespread issue. There is even a Tech. Service Bulletin for the fix. I have had mine fixed twice under warrenty no questions asked. If your dealer denied you the warrenty work, I would be taking my recipts back to them and demanding a refund, or open a case with GM. There should be no questions asked...

~bekind

--------------------
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 28 2004, 07:21 AM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

As long as bumper to bumper is still in effect (or GM extended warranty or in your's and bekind's case, documented by previous repairs) this repair is covered (unless you've really burned your bridges with the dealership that did the service). If you read in part 1, the TSB number is included. I did this to my Silverado almost 7 months ago and many miles later, the symptoms haven't returned.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
JOCWW
post Jul 28 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #6

Bronze Member

warranty is over 84000 miles on the clock and we got the car used so we dont have the recipets but i had teh guy run a vis and he said it was repaired once be4 i was like so why dont u guys just fix it again for me because obviously it didnt work to well

--------------------
2002 LT 4x4 2500 Dirty MAX ccsb full floater black Silverado custom port and polish intake tube, dual optimas, 5in exhaust, cb radio, above mirror guages, black out front/rear end, Go Rhino 6 step side bars .
2002 z71 Tahoe champagne clear corners speed grill silverstars and 20 in palmettos with 295 r 50s thanks cortney for the hookup" Powdercoated black stock rims shod with 305s and a big red 5 ft cb antenna out back with a bearcat cb in dash

My Myspace page
Your son Jon

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 29 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #7

Needs a Life!

Well, all stuff will eventually break. I doesn't matter what it is or how much it is. I fixed my '02 Silverado with only 14k miles. It hasn't returned since. This is a common problem, not only on GM vehicles, but on many other makes also. This design is a safety feature so the steering column collapses in a collision. There is likely not going to be any kind of recall since this is not a safety issue, it is more of an annoyance.

As I said before, if you have warranty or a very good relationship with the dealership, they will likely fix it for gratis. Otherwise, I posted this guide to help others out in case they want to tackle this themselves. If you do it yourself, it will cost no more than $20 and about 1 hour of your time, tops. If you have warranty, take it back and have the dealer fix it. Otherwise, just deal with it. tongue.gif

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
JOCWW
post Jul 29 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #8

Bronze Member

the kit they were trying to sell me was for 110.00 ohmy.gif

--------------------

My Myspace page
Your son Jon

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 29 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #9

Needs a Life!

0.4 hours for labor (+0.2 hours with adjustable pedals) plus kit, shop charges and taxes. I can see it being $110. A little bit on the high side, but I can see it.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
JOCWW
post Jul 30 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #10

Bronze Member

no 110 for parts 115 for labor for 225 hell no not unless its gonna make it so i cant stear

--------------------

My Myspace page
Your son Jon

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 30 2004, 06:21 AM
Post #11

Needs a Life!

I see what they are doing. They are charging you for the intermediate shaft replacement. If they only replaced the shaft previously, the problem definitely comes back. That cost is about right for the shaft replacement. Labor is a bit high, but I suspected that with your previous post.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Cliff
post Jul 30 2004, 07:56 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 72

Can you describe the symptoms?

Thanks,
-Cliff

PS: Great phots and detailed descriptions!

This post has been edited by Cliff: Jul 30 2004, 07:58 AM

--------------------
2004 Z71 Suburban - Summit White
www.JulyFirst.com - Winning Business Solutions
user posted image

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jul 30 2004, 08:55 AM
Post #13

Platinum Member

Symptoms, from my experience anyway, were a slight cluncking when going around sweeping turns both left and right. You can feel the clunking through the steering wheel. For one reason or another I noticed that when it was really humid or wet out, it did it worse. Either way, when they perform the TSB it was back to new...

~bekind

--------------------

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 30 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #14

Needs a Life!

The symptoms are if you are turning (usually slow speeds), you feel a dull thump in the steering wheel. Sometimes if it is real quiet you could hear a slight faint clunk.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Cliff
post Jul 30 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 72

I may have experienced this so I want to confirm. Is it just one thump or multiple thumps and is it as you turn the steering wheel or after the steering wheel is in the turned position? sharp or mild turns?

I've have thump right at the end of the steering wheel range but didn't perceive it as a problem. What happens if this goes untreated?

Thanks,
-Cliff

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jul 30 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #16

Platinum Member

It could be a combination of what you described. In my case it was a mild thumping when the wheel was turned a bit, not necessarily all the way turned. If it goes un treadted, I do not believe that it will be a safety risk, but just annoying really. I could feel multiple thumps ar ratteling.

~bekind

--------------------

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 30 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #17

Needs a Life!

Like bekind just said, it can be one or multiple thumps. I've only felt it when I have the wheel just turned slightly. There shouldn't be much more wear than normal if untreated, but it is a nuisance.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
beach
post Oct 28 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 194

Happened to our '02 Av very slightly too, and the dealer fixed it with lube.

The new '04 Suburban steering has a much more noticeable clunk (and can really hear a bang too, if you turn it all the way to the left and move forward), but hasn't been taken in yet. Hope to get this and the popcorn popper exhaust sound fixed soon.

--------------------
IPB Image

'04 Suburban LS 2wd: All stock with 6-CD BOSE, cloth buckets, power pedals, Homelink, OWL tires, full roof rack, and locking rear differential.

The successor to the legendary '02 Avalanche 2wd Z66...

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 29 2004, 07:53 AM
Post #19

Needs a Life!

There is a newer TSB out that actually covers the 2wd trucks also. I believe it is revision F. It calls for the replacement of the upper intermediate shaft. Just out of curiosity, what is the build date on the 'burb? (It should be on the sticker on the door jamb)

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
beach
post Oct 29 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 194

QUOTE (carguru @ Oct 29 2004, 08:53 AM)
There is a newer TSB out that actually covers the 2wd trucks also. I believe it is revision F. It calls for the replacement of the upper intermediate shaft. Just out of curiosity, what is the build date on the 'burb? (It should be on the sticker on the door jamb)

Well, the build date of ours probably affects a few issues with it, because it was one of the very first '04s to roll off the line, in 08/03. Plus, it's 2wd, so the new upper shaft probably would fix the issue. At first just noticed the clunk, but then started to hear the loud bang noise it also made with a tight turn and moving.

--------------------
IPB Image

'04 Suburban LS 2wd: All stock with 6-CD BOSE, cloth buckets, power pedals, Homelink, OWL tires, full roof rack, and locking rear differential.

The successor to the legendary '02 Avalanche 2wd Z66...

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 02:45 PM