Encoder Motor Replacement
Rating 5 V

taylorjm
post Dec 27 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #41

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,979

Just a side note when you replace yours. I did mine without removing the driveshaft. You have to use an end wrench for one bolt and do the quarter turn at a time thing, but there was enough clearance to get the encoder motor out without removing the driveshaft.

--------------------
2003 Z71. Spectre CAI, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrl112
post Dec 27 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #42

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,915

QUOTE (lancedriskell @ Dec 27 2012, 09:15 AM) *
Can I get a PDF of this because these pics are not showing up? Thanks man... Gonna try this tonight.

I never did a PDF, let me see if I can get you the pictures.

EDIT - Here's a link with all the pictures, you have to look through them, but they're labeled Encoder 1-8, and they're in the order of the missing image

#2 - Forgot to add the link. Search mrl_112 on Flickr, or Google "Encoder 1" and it should come up.

This post has been edited by mrl112: Dec 27 2012, 01:35 PM

--------------------
04 Sport Red ZHoe (Gone) -Matt- Times featured in garage: 5
9/11/01 4/16/07 R.I.P. #21

"I was an American born, I'm American bred, and when I die, I'll be an American dead."
"...and everyday I'm giving all I can, 'cause I'm damn proud to be American!"
How to Donate to Z71T-S.com: Click Here
Stock Sucks

+Quote Post
lancedriskell
post Dec 27 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 17,464

Very useful!! The less i have to remove, the less I screw up!! A mechanic I am not...

QUOTE (taylorjm @ Dec 27 2012, 09:45 AM) *
Just a side note when you replace yours. I did mine without removing the driveshaft. You have to use an end wrench for one bolt and do the quarter turn at a time thing, but there was enough clearance to get the encoder motor out without removing the driveshaft.

QUOTE (mrl112 @ Dec 27 2012, 01:00 PM) *
Can I get a PDF of this because these pics are not showing up? Thanks man... Gonna try this tonight.

EDIT - Here's a link with all the pictures, you have to look through them, but they're labeled Encoder 1-8, and they're in the order of the missing image

#2 - Forgot to add the link. Search mrl_112 on Flickr, or Google "Encoder 1" and it should come up.

Gonna look now! Thanks a lot!

--------------------
2006 Tahoe Z71 - NO MOD!!

+Quote Post
lancedriskell
post Dec 28 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (mrl112 @ Dec 27 2012, 01:00 PM) *

Did this in about 1.5 hour! Great help, no way I could have done this without your help!! Thanks!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
hdwrench99
post Dec 28 2012, 06:35 AM
Post #45

Platinum Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 12,723

Did it fix the problem?

--------------------
Black '04 Tahoe keys and 1" spacers 285/70-17 BFG AT KO's Goodyear Duratracs
Black Bear Tune and E-Fans. GMT900 brake upgrade. My Garage

"Its not about the number of merit badges earned or the revenue... it's about the memories made." - Rev. Tim Lehman Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation Camp Director

QUOTE (JimB204 @ Apr 27 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Now that you found this site, you will never be content with your truck..

How To Donate to Z71T-S.com: CLICK HERE!

+Quote Post
lancedriskell
post Dec 28 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #46

QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Dec 28 2012, 06:35 AM) *
Did it fix the problem?

From what I can tell yes. Now I have an airbag sensor to fix. The rear heat. And another engine light is on even after I changed the evap canister. Slowly but surely I'm getting the bugs worked out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taylorjm
post Dec 28 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #47

Silver Member

Member No.: 13,979

Did you remove the driveshaft?

--------------------
2003 Z71. Spectre CAI, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

+Quote Post
lancedriskell
post Dec 28 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #48

QUOTE (taylorjm @ Dec 28 2012, 10:29 AM) *
Did you remove the driveshaft?

thats a negative... its a little cumbersome but i believe ahelluvalot easier than dropping the drive shaft...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Troy TrackBeast
post Jan 28 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (mrl112 @ Sep 28 2008, 04:31 PM) *
Encoder Motor Replacement
2004 Z71 Tahoe 4X4

Tools Needed-1/2” rachet
-15mm socket
-7/16” socket
-1/2” drive, 3” extension
-Flat head screwdriver
-Sharpie (or awl, or small paint brush and paint)
-Torque wrench
-Needle nose pliers
-Blue Loc-tite
-Gloves (Mechanix or similar)
-Saftey Glasses

Background
Replacing the encoder motor is a possible solution to the notorious “Service 4WD” message that appears in the DIC. It was a second step for me, after I had replaced my 4WD dash switch. The encoder motor bolts to the driver’s side of the transfer case, but its position on the truck puts it in a position that the front drive shaft must be removed to access the encoder motor.

Removal
1. Shift the transfer case into Neutral.
a. Chock the tires (I chocked in front of the fronts and behind the rears, so it couldn’t roll either way.)
b. Set the parking brake.
c. Turn the ignition to RUN.
d. Shift the transmission into Neutral.
e. Push and hold the 2HI and 4LO buttons for ten (10) seconds. (The red Neutral light should come on.)
f. Shift the transmission into Reverse for one (1) second, then into Drive for one (1) second.
g. Turn the ignition to LOCK.
h. Shift the transmission into Park.

2. Remove four (4) 15mm bolts from the transfer case skid plate.

3. Loosen the hose clamp on the transfer case side of the rubber boot. Pry the clamp loose, moving it forward towards the front of the truck.

4. Mark the relationship of the front drive shaft to the front axle using the Sharpie.

5. Remove four (4) 7/16” cap bolts.

6. Knock the front U joint loose.

7. Slide the front drive shaft towards the rear of the truck, swing the front of the front drive shaft down, then slide the entire front drive shaft forward and remove.

8. Remove three (3) 15mm bolts from the encoder motor.

9. Unplug the electrical connector. The connector is attached to the truck using one of those little plastic clips that breaks when you try to remove them. Pinch the sides of the clip together using needle nose pliers or your fingers, if you have hands, not huge bear paws.

10. Remove the encoder motor.

11. Inspect the black gasket. If it’s damaged, replace.

12. Transfer the gasket from the old encoder motor to the new encoder motor.

Reinstallation
13. Reconnect the electrical connector.

14. Reinstall the encoder motor.

15. Put Loc-tite on the three (3) 15mm bolts that connect the encoder motor to the transfer case.

16. Reinstall the three (3) 15mm bolts into the encoder motor.

17. Shift the transfer case into 2HI.

18. Slide the front drive shaft into the transfer case.

19. Line up the marks on the front drive shaft and the front axle.

20. Reinstall the four (4) 7/16” cap bolts and straps onto the front U joint.

21. Retighten the rubber boot’s hose clamp onto the transfer case.

22. Reinstall the skid plate with the four (4) 15mm bolts.

Disclaimer
I am by no means a mechanic, and I make no claims that this will correct your problem. If you are worried about completing this process, take your vehicle to a professional. Encoder motor replacement completed at your own risk, the author takes no responsibilities.

Copyright mrl112, September 28, 2008

I'll be sending Scott the original file so that it can be loaded as a PDF for anyone that would rather print it out than lug their computer out to the driveway when it's time to do this fix. thumbsup.png

I will be doing this install soon. i went ahead and embedded the correct pictures like they were in the original post

+Quote Post
aplagens
post Feb 17 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 17,688

Drafted a PDF for everyone. I'm also in the process of determining my issues. How difficult is the sensor change? I'm having trouble finding the guide on the forum.

My issue: Truck is in 4Hi, wont change to anything but Auto 4WD. Tried pulling fuses, but it didnt help. Still in 4 Hi. Keeping fuses out for now. Will this damage the T-case? Or is it okay to have an engaged t-case with no auto trac electronics going?

Thanks again guys. This site helped me save quite a bit of cash already!

This post has been edited by aplagens: Feb 17 2013, 09:31 PM

+Quote Post
mrl112
post Feb 18 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #51

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,915

QUOTE (aplagens @ Feb 17 2013, 10:30 PM) *
Drafted a PDF for everyone. I'm also in the process of determining my issues. How difficult is the sensor change? I'm having trouble finding the guide on the forum.

My issue: Truck is in 4Hi, wont change to anything but Auto 4WD. Tried pulling fuses, but it didnt help. Still in 4 Hi. Keeping fuses out for now. Will this damage the T-case? Or is it okay to have an engaged t-case with no auto trac electronics going?

Thanks again guys. This site helped me save quite a bit of cash already!

Are you sure you're in 4HI? Mine said 4HI, but when I was on dirt and floored it, only the rears spun.

--------------------
04 Sport Red ZHoe (Gone) -Matt- Times featured in garage: 5
9/11/01 4/16/07 R.I.P. #21

"I was an American born, I'm American bred, and when I die, I'll be an American dead."
"...and everyday I'm giving all I can, 'cause I'm damn proud to be American!"
How to Donate to Z71T-S.com: Click Here
Stock Sucks

+Quote Post
tombstn
post Mar 6 2013, 06:04 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 16,087

Help, I still have a problem, I replaced the encoder motor and switch, when I put it in 2wd, the truck is in neutral and won't go into drive, in 4wd auto it is still in 4wd all the time. Will not go into neutral when I hold the two buttons!! HELP

+Quote Post
JimB204
post Mar 13 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #53

Platinum Member

Member No.: 6,759

QUOTE (tombstn @ Mar 6 2013, 08:04 PM) *
Help, I still have a problem, I replaced the encoder motor and switch, when I put it in 2wd, the truck is in neutral and won't go into drive, in 4wd auto it is still in 4wd all the time. Will not go into neutral when I hold the two buttons!! HELP

If you've replaced the encoder motor and the switch already that only leaves a few things. It could be your Transfer Case Control Module(TCCM) or the wiring harness. Also could be a fuse or something else along the line..

--------------------

2008 Z71 Avalanche - 2004 Z71 Tahoe - Sold - 1994 Full Size Blazer - Sold

+Quote Post
Leedogg
post May 8 2013, 07:06 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,769

Replaced my encoder motor over the weekend...took about an hour. Getting the Bolts out was the worst part. They resisted the whole way out. Went back in alot easier. Done it with the driveshaft in the truck. No more Service 4wd lights yet....fingers crossed.

--------------------
2001 Suburban Z71 - 300k miles - fresh 5.3L - Moto Metal 958's - 35x12.5-17 Fierce M/T's - RCX NTD 6" Lift - RCX N2.0 Shocks - Hunter Bull Bar - 20" Tuff LED light bar - Black Depo's - Clear Black signals - Spec-D LED Tails - Pioneer H/U, Kicker Mids, Polk Sub, Stock Amp.
1996 Trans Am - 383 ci - McLoed Twin Disk Clutch - T56 - Midwest Fabricated 9" Rear - 408rwhp - 7.64 1/8th mile - Broke trans...
2001 Grand Vitara 4wd - 2.5L 6 Cyl - 5 Speed - Slightly larger tires - big sound system
1992 Silverado - 350 - 700r4 - 4/6 DJM drop - Been totalled and rebuilt twice. The OG.

+Quote Post
mag75
post Jun 28 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 9,988

Changed out the encoder motor and service light went away

This post has been edited by mag75: Jun 28 2014, 04:13 PM

+Quote Post
clvine1
post Oct 2 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 20,013

Guys, best forum for this problem I've seen thus far. I am having a problem...I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe that I bought recently with a bad motor in it. I bought it knowing the motor was bad and it had 191,000 miles on it. I bought a replacement 5.3 with 65,000 miles and got it installed a couple days ago. The engine swap went well and sounds perfect. The mechanic is a friend of mine and when I went down to his shop to check on the Tahoe, he told me that the only hiccup was that the service four wheel drive message had come on. He cleared the code several times and the truck would let you cycle through the 2wd, 4low, and 4hi several times before kicking the error again. When the error kicks, it just won't let you shift out of 2wd. Well he took it to lunch today and now the Service ABS light came on. Anyone have any ideas why this would be coinciding with the engine swap? Do you think it is a coincidence? He also said he was having a hard time pulling the codes at certain times. This is my second Z71 Tahoe but never done an engine swap.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 3 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #57

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (clvine1 @ Oct 2 2014, 08:16 PM) *
Guys, best forum for this problem I've seen thus far. I am having a problem...I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe that I bought recently with a bad motor in it. I bought it knowing the motor was bad and it had 191,000 miles on it. I bought a replacement 5.3 with 65,000 miles and got it installed a couple days ago. The engine swap went well and sounds perfect. The mechanic is a friend of mine and when I went down to his shop to check on the Tahoe, he told me that the only hiccup was that the service four wheel drive message had come on. He cleared the code several times and the truck would let you cycle through the 2wd, 4low, and 4hi several times before kicking the error again. When the error kicks, it just won't let you shift out of 2wd. Well he took it to lunch today and now the Service ABS light came on. Anyone have any ideas why this would be coinciding with the engine swap? Do you think it is a coincidence? He also said he was having a hard time pulling the codes at certain times. This is my second Z71 Tahoe but never done an engine swap.

Sounds like its the encoder sensor.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 08:26 AM