Reply to this topicStart new topic
Blower Motor Resistor, Installation
Rating 5 V

team D.A.T.A.
post Mar 7 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,313

New guy here. The wife just bought a used 2004 Z71 Suburban. The battery died yesterday. With the dead battery and the keys out of the ignition, the blowers in the front of the cab still continued to run. I removed the 40A fuse from under hood. With the fuse removed, the blower does not run.

I bought a new Blower Motor Resistor. I understand it to be located behind the glove box or behind the black foot panel. I have removed both items. I cannot find anything resembling the part I got.

Where does the blower motor resistor get installed?

Thanks.

The FNG

This post has been edited by team D.A.T.A.: Mar 7 2008, 09:14 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bluesplash
post Mar 9 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,365

Not sure if this is the same problem I had last year, Ignition off, AC / Heater fan always on. I have a post here. Yes it was the resistor pack. Could not do it then because it was toooooo cold outside. Cost $$$

Here is the picture http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....ic=4741&hl=

For NBS with cabin filter, you need to remove the bottom panel like replacing the cabin filter.

I would follow the blower motor wires and go from there. Can you put a follow up post how this

worked out for you. I am about to replace this again, only position 5 works right now.

+Quote Post
team D.A.T.A.
post Mar 9 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #3

That's it. I just couldn't find anything under there that resembled the new part. I will follow this tomorrow with some pics of my own and see how things go. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Blk Eyes
post Mar 10 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 95

QUOTE(team D.A.T.A. @ Mar 9 2008, 09:20 PM) [snapback]176032[/snapback]

That's it. I just couldn't find anything under there that resembled the new part. I will follow this tomorrow with some pics of my own and see how things go. Thanks.

How did the install go? I need to replace this part also.

+Quote Post
team D.A.T.A.
post Mar 10 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #5

OK, the part I received from CarQuest matches the part in the write-up with photos. Problem now is I don't have an existing part like that under the dash. My part has two aluminum looking flat pieces. Is it possible the 2004 has a '03 part?

+Quote Post
team D.A.T.A.
post Mar 12 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #6

OK, finally found the right part and installed it today. The fans appear to be working in all increments. My Z71 Suburban has the Auto Climate Control option installed and that is why the resistor did not work. Mine does not have the resistor, but instead, has a module. I think it is called the A/C Heater Control Module. For the Auto Climate Control, the correct part number is 89018778. A part looking almost identical to it does not work because of the screw hole mounts. That part number is 93803635. Here are some photos:

Step #1: Remove the kick plate. It has 4 screws but only the two on the right need removed.

Step #2: Remove the bad module located right in front. You can't miss it.

Step #3: Ensure you have the correct part. Part number is 89018778. Notice the screw hole mounts.

Step#4: The wrong part. This module part number is 93803635. Notice the screw hole mounts.

Step #5: Disconnect existing bad module from blower motor. It is located in back of motor.

Step #6: Installed new correct module.

Thanks for help getting me there. I tried adding photos from Photobucket, but it wouldn't allow dynamic pages. I used the add file attachments but really have no idea what that does.

This post has been edited by Scott: Mar 15 2008, 08:38 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  KickPlate_002.jpg ( 35.45K ) Number of downloads: 162
Attached File  CorrectModule_002.jpg ( 50.13K ) Number of downloads: 203
Attached File  Module_001.jpg ( 41.92K ) Number of downloads: 135
Attached File  WrongModule_001.jpg ( 47.81K ) Number of downloads: 223
Attached File  Motor_001.jpg ( 31.11K ) Number of downloads: 120
Attached File  CorrectModule_001.jpg ( 25.7K ) Number of downloads: 208

+Quote Post
Scott
post Mar 15 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #7

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Nice post - Thanks!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
team D.A.T.A.
post Mar 15 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #8

Thanks for adding the pics. They are in the right order.

+Quote Post
bluesplash
post Mar 17 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,365

Additional Notes: I replaced the blower resistor on my Tahoe 02-LS yesterday, something different...

1. The lower panel cover have 4 screws needed 7 mm socket.

2. The Cabin Filter housing cover and the Resistor module screws needed 5.5 mm socket.

3. The Blower resistor is just to the right of the cabin filter housing cover. There will be a heavy
gauge Black and Red Wire for the motor, I think it is a 12 gauge wire. If this is your first time
to do this, it might help if you have the part on hand to recognize the shape and form.

4. There may be a motor housing cover that will make it difficult to remove the blower motor connector.
I removed another 7 mm screw to loosen the cover, so I can just see where the connector is.
Then with a long flat blade screwdriver, pushed on the connector tab with my right hand and pulled the
wire with the left hand. This is the part that delayed me until I figured out the cover. The screw is right there in front. You don't need to drop the blower motor cover.

5. The blower resistor assembly I pulled out (which was replaced by a dealer last Feb 07) looks
exactly the same as the one I got from my local auto parts store for $26.00. Markings and all
including what country it was made from in Central Europe. Now, I wonder if it will last just as long.

6. Yes, I replaced the cabin filter. We don't take the truck off road but I was surprised to see
how bad and dirty it looks with less than 10K miles on the filter. You may want to brush off left over
dirt in the filter housing with an old tooth brush or vacuum it out.

Otherwise, the instructions presented on this thread is just like it is.

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Mar 30 2008, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

Just a few words of thanks... notworthy.gif . The "step-by-step" directions in this post made the job REAL easy! thumbsup.png

I finally got around to changing out my blower motor resistor (the low speed was not working). I thought I could just let it go, but it was bugging me, so I replaced it, along with the cabin air filter.

As I said, with the step by step directions, along with the correct head sizes for the small screws, it was a breeze. Now all of the 5 speeds work again! notworthy.gif I was surprised at how much crap was on the cabin filter! ohmy.gif Heck, I had never changed it before, and since I bought the truck used several years ago, it was overdue.

Thanks again thumbsup.png . I love this forum!!! wub.gif biggrin2.gif

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Wildcathoe
post Jul 28 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,964

thumbsup.png Thanks for the discussion. I'm a newby with an 01 tahoe and it was very helpful.

+Quote Post
Andrew
post Jul 28 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 702

so, i repaired the resistor on my dad's 03 'rado yesterday...... one of the little u-shaped wires had broken away from the solder joints and only high was working. i simply soldered it back on and aba-ca-dabra.... she works perfectly!

just figured that might be a little cheaper than replacing the entire unit....

--------------------

Tahoe's Garage
Jeep's Garage

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns." --Colonel Jessep

+Quote Post
johnnyleo11
post Jul 28 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #13

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,523

Now you can just charge your dad $20 and tell him he saved $5 on the part...

--------------------

-R.I.P. ME3 Shaun Lin, USCG-

+Quote Post
scrnchr
post Jan 15 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,947

wow, team data, great post! our tahoe blower settings 1 thru 4 haven't worked for over a year, but now i'm gonna give this a shot!

+Quote Post
mattbvt
post Feb 10 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,144

QUOTE(Gary P @ Mar 30 2008, 10:35 AM) [snapback]180879[/snapback]

Just a few words of thanks... notworthy.gif . The "step-by-step" directions in this post made the job REAL easy! thumbsup.png

I finally got around to changing out my blower motor resistor (the low speed was not working). I thought I could just let it go, but it was bugging me, so I replaced it, along with the cabin air filter.

As I said, with the step by step directions, along with the correct head sizes for the small screws, it was a breeze. Now all of the 5 speeds work again! notworthy.gif I was surprised at how much crap was on the cabin filter! ohmy.gif Heck, I had never changed it before, and since I bought the truck used several years ago, it was overdue.

Thanks again thumbsup.png . I love this forum!!! wub.gif biggrin2.gif

Hi new to the forum and am hoping for some help/guidance. I have a similar problem with my 2004 Avalanche (not climate control equipped). Setting 5 worked for a few days and now the blower will not run at all. Can someone tell me what is wrong the part number I would need (assuming resister pack as above) and basic process to change it out?"

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 10 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #16

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Welcome. Sounds very much like your resistor pack is toast. Same basic procedure.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
mattbvt
post Feb 10 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(carguru @ Feb 10 2009, 05:20 PM) [snapback]255366[/snapback]

Welcome. Sounds very much like your resistor pack is toast. Same basic procedure.

Thanks! Any idea what part number I would need for an 04 Avalanche? I can print the pictures as a guide if I know what part I need to get.

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 10 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #18

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

89018596 for '03 and newer manual control. Hope that helps.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
mattbvt
post Feb 11 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(carguru @ Feb 10 2009, 11:15 PM) [snapback]255506[/snapback]

89018596 for '03 and newer manual control. Hope that helps.

THANKS! I am sure it will - but will let you know for sure early next week.

Thanks again,

Matt

+Quote Post
scrnchr
post Feb 12 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,947

Finally had time to get er done. Dropped the two right hand screws for the cover. Bent the cover down and removed the two screws for the module. Just like bluesplash said, could not get the doggone motor connector plug out--wasted 45 minutes. Some moronic GM engineer set things up so the plug is at the back of the motor (front of the truck). So I cut the wires to get the part in my hand and headed off to NAPA. They said they had the right part for $28, but it was the wrong bolt hole pattern, same issue as teamdata had. They told me to "just drill some new holes". Uh, thanks but no thanks. Called Carquest, "we'll have it here tomorrow, $35", but they couldn't guarantee the bolt hole pattern. Enough already. Called the GM dealer, they had the correct superceded part, $60. Went there and bought it. They printed out six pages of instructions for me, covering how to drop the cover, change the resistor, even remove the blower motor if needed. Now that I could see the connector I could see where to push on it with a screwdriver to get the old one out. But I had to remove the other two cover screws and pull the cover out of there. Had my 10 yr old son crawl under and presto the connector was out. Plugged in the new connector, attached the wiring harness to the new resistor receptacle and mounted it with the two screws. Tested the blower settings and all worked. Slid the cover back in and got 3 of 4 screws in place right away. Then wasted over an hour trying to get the 4th screw in. Another stupid design--the 2nd screw from the left is recessed deeply into the cover, and line up with the hump in the floor. You have very little room to work a socket ratchet under there, and it's very difficult to align the holes and get the screw started. Anyway got the screw started and turned in about 1/3 of the way and couldn't get any more. Other 3 were tight. So now all blower settings work and the wife is happy.

The new parts (wrong bolt hole pattern at NAPA and the GM dealer part (which btw has dual bolt hole patterns, i.e. is universal)) do not have the "circuit board resistor" look of the old part--they have a sort of "tower" of a resistor bundle which is wrapped with some protective material. They told me it's supposed to handle high heat better, without burning out all the time.

btw, the reason the board is stuck up into the blower airstream is because it runs very, very hot and without some airflow to pull the heat it would fry itself all the time.

So thanks for the advice and directions. In the end, with running around for parts, it took me 4 hours to do the whole thing. It's done!! Time to go have a beer and celebrate. clapping1.gif

This post has been edited by scrnchr: Feb 13 2009, 05:52 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 12:08 AM