Reply to this topicStart new topic
Suggested Maintenance Schedule
blindmouse
post Oct 1 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,161

Well, I pieced together some stuff from a few repair manuals, and came up with this maintenance schedule. This may be helpful for some, others may already know.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  GM_Maint_Sched.pdf ( 28.01K ) Number of downloads: 1996

--------------------
IPB Image
^^ Out-Of-Date Picture

2001 Tahoe LS, 3" BL, 3" Lift Spindles, Key Crank, 4.56s, 35" ATZs, 18x9 KMC Rockstars, Spintech, Ranch Hand Full Replacement Front End, Black Rear Bumper, Tinted Tails, Tint, '07 Black Chrome Badges

My Garage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Offtrac
post Oct 30 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Poser

Member No.: 3,321

This was helpful to me.....

Couple of questions though....

Spark PLugs every 30k? Is this right?

Also, Diff fluid every 60? Can I get away with this or should I do it now? (44k miles)

--------------------

2006 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L L33 High Output
BlackBear 93 Tune, 285 BFG AT's, Smitty Built Bull Bar, Westin Running Boards,
Tow Mirrors, PIA 520's behind grill, 5000k HIDs,4 High Mod, SPECTRE CAI, V1

+Quote Post
blindmouse
post Oct 30 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #3

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,161

the delco spark plugs are rated for 30K...if you pull em out and they arent discolored and the end is still fairly square, you're good. platinum/iridium plugs are rated at like 90K, but I ran my stock plugs to 88K with no probs and only switched them to avoid potential hassle down the road.

if you dont tow frequently, haven't driven through deep water, and your temps are usually below 90 degrees, youre okay with going a little over 60K, but if youre driving in high temps for more than a few days out of the year, I'd change earlier. I would do mine here in TX at 30-40K.

--------------------
IPB Image
^^ Out-Of-Date Picture

2001 Tahoe LS, 3" BL, 3" Lift Spindles, Key Crank, 4.56s, 35" ATZs, 18x9 KMC Rockstars, Spintech, Ranch Hand Full Replacement Front End, Black Rear Bumper, Tinted Tails, Tint, '07 Black Chrome Badges

My Garage

+Quote Post
Offtrac
post Oct 30 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Poser

Ok, Ill add that to my to do list before leaving for Texas....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Offtrac
post Oct 30 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #5

Poser

Anyone want to give me detailed instructions on changing my plugs?

Im weird like that, I work on multi million dollar aircraft but i am reluctant to tear into my own vehicle.... ( i tried a search here but didnt turn up much)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken
post Oct 30 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #6

Platinum Member

Member No.: 988

A while back there was some talk about changing plugs - one of the rear ones can be a bit tricky to get to.

As long as the engine is cool it should be a simple process of twisiting them out with a socket them putting back in. Getting the wires off can be a challenge too, but not that bad.

edit - try this link http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....44&hl=plugs

This post has been edited by Ken: Oct 30 2006, 09:07 PM

--------------------
Pretentious Black 14 Escalade, like those 6.2 Liters!

Black 05 Z71 Burb 3.42s Sold 10/2016
Magnaflow Corsa Sport Catback, 50W fogs - Sylv 885, US Flag Bowtie
Bilsteins, Escalade 18s
20% Tint
Tuned by Justin - two thumbs up!

Garage | Ken_Z71-05 on Yahoo!

2002 Red Tahoe - nice truck but a bit too short. Sold to a friend in 2005.

+Quote Post
kutscher
post Nov 10 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #7

Bronze Member

Member No.: 167

QUOTE(blindmouse @ Oct 1 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]99888[/snapback]

Well, I pieced together some stuff from a few repair manuals, and came up with this maintenance schedule. This may be helpful for some, others may already know.

Did I miss something or is this for all year models and conditions.

I have been using my gmlink to keep track of my service and the intervals recommended here are much earlier than listed on the gm page?

E

This post has been edited by kutscher: Nov 10 2006, 05:53 PM

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe, 20" rims with nitto terra grapplers, blackbear tune (very nice), airraid MIT, Capt chairs, DVD player, cranked keys (1/2 way up).

+Quote Post
kutscher
post Jan 28 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #8

Bronze Member

QUOTE(kutscher @ Nov 10 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]105975[/snapback]

QUOTE(blindmouse @ Oct 1 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]99888[/snapback]

Did I miss something or is this for all year models and conditions.

I have been using my gmlink to keep track of my service and the intervals recommended here are much earlier than listed on the gm page?

E

So I just hit 33,500 miles, I want to get everything I need done before 36k, what should I do. I tow a trailer about every other weekend in the summer. Otherwise just normal city drving, not much stop and go.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe, 20" rims with nitto terra grapplers, blackbear tune (very nice), airraid MIT, Capt chairs, DVD player, cranked keys (1/2 way up).

+Quote Post
kutscher
post Feb 19 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #9

Bronze Member

So I am currently at the dealer. I used this service schedule and they told me it is incorrect. They suggest the following in addition which seems to match what was posted here. Seems like much more vs. mygmlink which the dealer said is not correct and the manual is not correct they said.

every 15k to replace the fuel filter and clean fuel system, every 30k replace tranny fluid and filter, at 50K replace coolant and powersteering fluid, replace brake fluid, replace all differential fluids.

Plus they would not rotate my tires since they are aftermarket.. what the heck. I am done with chevy, back to cadillac for service peiple that are nice.

This post has been edited by kutscher: Feb 19 2007, 09:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott
post Feb 19 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #10

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Krutcher,

It's hard for us to comment as to the differences in the schedules you are referring to as we can't see what you're looking at, but yes, when towing frequently you do need to be a bit more vigilant. If you review your owners manual section 6, it really only says to increase the frequency of the trans fluid from 100k to 50k.

However, I would definitely be more prompt with the oil and filter changes, and inspections. When you're miles from home, keeping ahead of the game with maintenance is good insurance.

As such, while again I can see what is bothering you with regards to the recommended maintenance, but I'd really recommend you read the owners manual closely and draw your own conclusion. While again I would pay closer attention, I don't see that this should be a substantial extra burden? I do however think ever 15K is a bit overboard on the fuel filter, depending on what you're running.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Ken
post Feb 19 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Platinum Member

Member No.: 988

There is a dealer here who "highly recomends" the service that kutscher's dealer is pushing. They also always find extra stuff that needs work while they have the car - they sound to shady for my bussines.

Ironically, they also just lost their Jeep franchise - seems that Jeep pulled it from them.

--------------------
Pretentious Black 14 Escalade, like those 6.2 Liters!

Black 05 Z71 Burb 3.42s Sold 10/2016
Magnaflow Corsa Sport Catback, 50W fogs - Sylv 885, US Flag Bowtie
Bilsteins, Escalade 18s
20% Tint
Tuned by Justin - two thumbs up!

Garage | Ken_Z71-05 on Yahoo!

2002 Red Tahoe - nice truck but a bit too short. Sold to a friend in 2005.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Feb 19 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #12

Needs a Life!

That's exactly why it makes alot of sense to educate yourself with the Mfr's published schedules. No doubt the dealers have a profit motive and some will take advantage if they can, so you have to be on your toes.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
kutscher
post Feb 19 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #13

Bronze Member

They tell me the owners manual is not correct and I should follow their schedule. Seems a bit much to me to change every fluid every 30k-oil every 3k including synthetics (this is how I read what they gave me for a schedule), and then the fuel filter every 15k. I follow the manual via the maint II or more severe schedule as I define it. Ihad been following what I got from the dealer when I purchased the truck, (now its different according to the sevice folks). https://www.mygmlink.com

This post has been edited by kutscher: Feb 19 2007, 05:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott
post Feb 20 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #14

Needs a Life!

Kutscher,

As I mentioned before, we cannot see your personalized maintence schedule that you have on mygmlink.

I would HIGHLY recommend you defer to the schedules GM publishes. It is pretty clear your dealer is being overly aggressive with his recommendations. You can either find a new dealer or demand to talk to a zone rep, to reconcile the differences.

Frankly, I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much as all you have to do is prove to the dealer you are familiar with the GM recommended Severe Duty schedules and unless there's a problem, that should be appropriate for your vehicle. I mean they can't force you to change a filter before you agree to pay for it, right? Let them recommend all they want.

YOU tell them what you want done and when.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 20 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #15

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

I'm sure that if you talked to sales instead of the service writers, they'd recommend trading the vehicle every couple years to make sure you have full effect of warranty--that way you don't have to worry about maintenence......

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
kutscher
post Feb 22 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #16

Bronze Member

QUOTE(Scott @ Feb 20 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]121591[/snapback]

Kutscher,

As I mentioned before, we cannot see your personalized maintence schedule that you have on mygmlink.

I would HIGHLY recommend you defer to the schedules GM publishes. It is pretty clear your dealer is being overly aggressive with his recommendations. You can either find a new dealer or demand to talk to a zone rep, to reconcile the differences.

Frankly, I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much as all you have to do is prove to the dealer you are familiar with the GM recommended Severe Duty schedules and unless there's a problem, that should be appropriate for your vehicle. I mean they can't force you to change a filter before you agree to pay for it, right? Let them recommend all they want.

YOU tell them what you want done and when.

Sorry I viewed my gmlink as just a copy of our manual recommendations vs specific for me.

When I told the service person I wanted these specific items done they actually said no, this is what we recommend and that list is wrong. I told them that this is what I need and that the cadillac dealer said they could do whatever service I needed, but I brought it to chevy since the warranty is almost up and I wanted a good inspection. The service person said then you should take your truck to the cadillac dealer as chevy will not allow us to do what you request.

I think it is bothering me since service like this makes GM look like crap. Heck toyota and lexus have never treated me like this and I have been to many of them over the years. They actually seem to appreciate my knowledge and questions when I go for service. One would think customer service would be the way to approach your customers, not just say whatever schedule you use is not correct and you should follow ours. In college I drove an s10 and in highschool a camaro and the dealers then were just as terrible. Remembering back when I purchased the z new, they had grease all over the seats and I had to clean it up, with no appologies from them.

Oh well I actually am over this, but I have decided no more chevy's for me and I will not use them ever again for service. Yes a drasitic move but I am all about respect and returning that respect.

This post has been edited by kutscher: Feb 23 2007, 07:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 06:42 PM