Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hello From Dfw - 05 Z71
Johnny--2k
post Jun 9 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,693

Just picked this up as a daily/second vehicle. 05 Z71 2WD. Always had a soft spot for these. This is my 4th GM Truck after having a 99 Tahoe, 96 Tahoe, and an 04 Denali, all as 2nd vehicles when I lived in the bitter cold of Wisconsin. Now, I'm just trying to keep miles off my other car since it's leased and I have an 80 mile round trip to work and back and I just bought a house, so hauling stuff in my car is not very convenient. Anyways, nothing major planned. Cluster repair in progress now, needs a new front right hub and an A/C recharge but otherwise it's in great shape!

Any must-do mods for these trucks? Would definitely like a leveling kit for the front as I hate the raked look.

Here she is along with my other car...

--------------------
05 Z71 2WD for every day
16 ATS-V for fun
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Jun 9 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 731

welcomesign.gif Aboard!!

CTSV, nice thumbsup.png

--------------------

2017 Audi Q7 Presitge
2014 Corvette C7 Premier Edition, 434 of 500
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4, Beater....
2012 Lexus GX460, Sold 08/16
2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.(Sold 6/15)
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jun 11 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #3

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Welcome!

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 12 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Imho, the most common mods are:

1. Ford Keys to raise the front a bit - But don't go overboard.
2. By now, you probably need new shocks. Bilstein 5100's do well
3. Blackbear tune!
4. Cold Air Intake
5. Catback Exhaust.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Jun 13 2017, 05:38 AM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

Nice find. WELCOME to the forum! welcome-z71ts.gif

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Johnny--2k
post Jun 15 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #6

Thanks! Actually, my other car is the ATS-V. I really wanted a 6-speed and on top of that couldn't bring myself to cough up nearly $100k for the CTS-V! blink.gif

As far as the ford keys, I take it that's a pretty easy/cheap fix? Also, I had one person tell me instead of going up in the front, to go down in the rear, and level it out that way. What are my options if I decide to go that route? I know the 4wd guys can move to the 2wd springs, but what choices do I have on mine?

--------------------
05 Z71 2WD for every day
16 ATS-V for fun

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 15 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Needs a Life!

Imho, the easy route is to just get the Ford keys and bring the front up an inch or so and be done. It doesn't take much, but you still want a bit of a rake so it's not nose high with a heavier load.

That's probably going to be less costly than changing the rear springs. Plus, you really need the clearance in the back, if you will ever do any towing or offroading. You don't want them any softer either.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Johnny--2k
post Jun 16 2017, 09:40 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Scott @ Jun 15 2017, 02:33 PM) *
Imho, the easy route is to just get the Ford keys and bring the front up an inch or so and be done. It doesn't take much, but you still want a bit of a rake so it's not nose high with a heavier load.

That's probably going to be less costly than changing the rear springs. Plus, you really need the clearance in the back, if you will ever do any towing or offroading. You don't want them any softer either.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to check out how easy the keys are to do. If it's an easy/quick fix, then I may go that route sooner rather than later.

--------------------
05 Z71 2WD for every day
16 ATS-V for fun

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 16 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (Johnny--2k @ Jun 16 2017, 10:40 AM) *

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to check out how easy the keys are to do. If it's an easy/quick fix, then I may go that route sooner rather than later.

It is easy, but you should use a torsion bar tool to be safe. Then after you as satisfied with the result, get a front end alignment.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Johnny--2k
post Jun 20 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Scott @ Jun 16 2017, 02:39 PM) *

It is easy, but you should use a torsion bar tool to be safe. Then after you as satisfied with the result, get a front end alignment.

I've seen a few threads mention that you can crank the stock keys. Would this allow for enough to level out the front with the rear or is it really not recommended? I may just end up finding a shop to do it all since time is a big issue for me with my work schedule. I'm constantly traveling for work, so my time home is limited unfortunately.

Thanks again for the info guys, and sorry for all the questions. New to the GM truck world, always done work on cars and a lot of imports but GM is a new venture for me.

--------------------
05 Z71 2WD for every day
16 ATS-V for fun

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 20 2017, 08:25 AM
Post #11

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (Johnny--2k @ Jun 20 2017, 07:45 AM) *
QUOTE (Scott @ Jun 16 2017, 02:39 PM) *

I've seen a few threads mention that you can crank the stock keys. Would this allow for enough to level out the front with the rear or is it really not recommended? I may just end up finding a shop to do it all since time is a big issue for me with my work schedule. I'm constantly traveling for work, so my time home is limited unfortunately.

Thanks again for the info guys, and sorry for all the questions. New to the GM truck world, always done work on cars and a lot of imports but GM is a new venture for me.

You can absolutely try to use what's left in the stock keys. Just find the keys in the cross member, raise the front wheels so the suspension is unloaded, then turn the bolts to the right the same number of turns. Pretty easy. However, if it's a rust belt truck, you might want to spray some penetrating oil on the key bolts the day before.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
02burgundybeast
post Jun 20 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #12

Platinum Member

Member No.: 9,862

welcome! nice v btw. I will have one in my stable in the next couple years.

--------------------
2002 GMC Yukon - Sold (04/12)
2005 Ford F250 - Sold (10/12)
2007 GMC Yukon Denali - Sold (2/16)
2004 GMC Yukon
2002 Yukon GARAGE
2005 F250 GARAGE
2007 Denali GARAGE
2004 Yukon GARAGE

+Quote Post
Johnny--2k
post Jun 22 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Scott @ Jun 20 2017, 09:25 AM) *
You can absolutely try to use what's left in the stock keys. Just find the keys in the cross member, raise the front wheels so the suspension is unloaded, then turn the bolts to the right the same number of turns. Pretty easy. However, if it's a rust belt truck, you might want to spray some penetrating oil on the key bolts the day before.

Gotcha! Thanks!

QUOTE (02burgundybeast @ Jun 20 2017, 07:05 PM) *
welcome! nice v btw. I will have one in my stable in the next couple years.

Thank you!

--------------------
05 Z71 2WD for every day
16 ATS-V for fun

+Quote Post
06tahoez
post Jun 25 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #14

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,874