Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wheels
storeyr
post Sep 27 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,761

As usual, and as my wife says, I cant leave good enough alone. So......I just purchased my 2004 Tahoe although it has a lot of miles (199,000), it is in really good shape. I have already upgraded the stereo to a Pioneer unit with App radio, XM, and a back up camera. Now I am looking to make changes to the ride height, wheels and tires. this is what I have planned and need some advice/warnings from those who have been there done that:

1. 1.5 spacers for rear, ford keys in front. Should get me to about 39 inches from ground to bottom of fender.

2. 20 Fuel couplers with whatever size 20 inch tire that will get me to about a 33 x 11.50. I think that is about as large as I can go without having to cut, which I do not want to do.

My issue/question is this.... I have no freaking clue about offset. Going to 20 inch wheels, what offset do I need? Do I need any? Or should I just stay with 17 inch Fuel couplers instead of going to 20. I do very little off roading, and when I do it is usually just mud, nothing too extreme. Its my daily driver so I don't want issues down the road.

Any thoughts/help will be appreciated.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_1488.JPG ( 36.55K ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 27 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

What stance are you looking for? How large/wide of a tire do you want to go with? These will affect the choice of wheel and offset.

For example, you like the way the truck is now with the tires tucked slightly behind the fender flares, the 265 to 285 width is ok, then go with the 20" equivalent wheel, sticking to the OEM wheel 7.5" width and offset (31mm).

On the 20" OEM wheels, the width is 9" and they are using a 38mm offset. This will push the outside face of the wheel closer to even with the fender flares on your vehicle. And you are looking at tire sizes like 295/55R20 (33").

Of course with aftermarket wheels, I see that the offsets are going to be different (based on wheel design). You will want to see if you can try them on before buying...

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
storeyr
post Sep 27 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,761

Wheels I am looking at are 20x9. I want a little more aggressive stance, but I don't want 3-4 inches of tire outside the fenders and I don't want the ride to suffer. My original plans were to keep the stock wheels and go with 285/70-17, which I think are 33 and will not rub even on stock keys(at least thats what I have read), but I like the look of a larger wheel, and I would like it to look a little wider on the stance.....even though I'll rarely use it off road.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 06:02 PM