Reply to this topicStart new topic
Towing 4-5k W/ No Tow/haul Mode
BMRisko
post Feb 11 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,440

I need to tow a 4-5k U-Haul trailer about 120 miles and no longer have my tow/haul function as I had Justin make the button 100% TM removed "turbo speed." biggrin2.gif

Is this going to pose a problem? From past towing experiences, I guess the T/H button just raises the shift points a bit...anything I should watch out for or will I be good to go?

This post has been edited by BMRisko: Feb 11 2010, 09:44 AM

--------------------
-Brandon-
'04 Z71 - AEM, Corsa Sport, Blackbear Tune, E-fans, Tru-cool 40k Transmission Cooler, Ford Keys & Spacers, 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, MB Gunner 6's, NNBS brakes w/ Power Slot & Hawk LTS, Eibach Rear Swaybar, Bilstein 5100s, 4300k HIDs in DEPO Projectors, DB Electrical 250a Alt, Big 3 wiring, JL 250/1 & Stealthbox
Previously a caged & locked Grand Cherokee on 35s...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carsport
post Feb 11 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #2

Platinum Member

Member No.: 8,922

QUOTE (BMRisko @ Feb 11 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I need to tow a 4-5k U-Haul trailer about 120 miles and no longer have my tow/haul function as I had Justin make the button 100% TM removed "turbo speed." biggrin2.gif

Is this going to pose a problem? From past towing experiences, I guess the T/H button just raises the shift points a bit...anything I should watch out for or will I be good to go?

Brandon, I had the same concerns as you, so I had Justin leave my button alone...A couple of weeks ago I pulled a trailer about one and a half times the size of the UHaul's biggest bumper pull, and I never even had to think about my tow/haul mode. The truck is soo much better all-around that it will be fine. (FWIW I was doing 80 with the cruise set quite a bit and the truck performed nicely)

You'll be fine. Good luck and be safe!!

Edit: I guess I didn't make it too clear that I didn't use Tow/Haul mode on my trip. Didn't need to. The thought actually went through my head that it might make driving worse (and I used to use it almost daily).

This post has been edited by carsport: Feb 11 2010, 10:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Z71Bowtie
post Feb 11 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #3

Silver Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 8,822

Great info. I haven't towed anything massive yet, but it is coming late this up coming summer. Was most of your hauling highway then carsport?

+Quote Post
BMRisko
post Feb 11 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #4

Platinum Member

QUOTE (carsport @ Feb 11 2010, 11:09 AM) *
Brandon, I had the same concerns as you, so I had Justin leave my button alone...A couple of weeks ago I pulled a trailer about one and a half times the size of the UHaul's biggest bumper pull, and I never even had to think about my tow/haul mode. The truck is soo much better all-around that it will be fine. (FWIW I was doing 80 with the cruise set quite a bit and the truck performed nicely)

You'll be fine. Good luck and be safe!!

Edit: I guess I didn't make it too clear that I didn't use Tow/Haul mode on my trip. Didn't need to. The thought actually went through my head that it might make driving worse (and I used to use it almost daily).

Thanks, that eases my nerves... thumbsup.png

--------------------
-Brandon-
'04 Z71 - AEM, Corsa Sport, Blackbear Tune, E-fans, Tru-cool 40k Transmission Cooler, Ford Keys & Spacers, 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, MB Gunner 6's, NNBS brakes w/ Power Slot & Hawk LTS, Eibach Rear Swaybar, Bilstein 5100s, 4300k HIDs in DEPO Projectors, DB Electrical 250a Alt, Big 3 wiring, JL 250/1 & Stealthbox

+Quote Post
carsport
post Feb 11 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Platinum Member

Member No.: 8,922

QUOTE (Z71Bowtie @ Feb 11 2010, 10:14 AM) *
Great info. I haven't towed anything massive yet, but it is coming late this up coming summer. Was most of your hauling highway then carsport?

A lot of it, but not all of it. I did drag it around here in rush hour Dallas a bit, but since I didn't have the brake controller installed yet I didn't joy ride. And before you worry too much Brandon, you should be fine without a brake controller w/ that uHaul. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of room to stop and it'll be alright. It's the rush hour slam on your brakes and pray around here that requires one. (That and our trailer is quite a bit bigger).

To make things more clear, if I could go back in time, I'd make my tow mode a "racing mode" with Justin. And I tow ALL of the time.

Arrrrrrrrr. pirate2.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BMRisko
post Feb 11 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #6

Platinum Member

QUOTE (carsport @ Feb 11 2010, 11:20 AM) *
To make things more clear, if I could go back in time, I'd make my tow mode a "racing mode" with Justin. And I tow ALL of the time.

Arrrrrrrrr. pirate2.gif wink.gif

It is definitely fun when you feel like toying w/ someone at a stop light. Not that I would advocate such behavior. biggrin2.gif

I have towed the 6x12' U-Hauls in the past and they are actually really nice towing trailers w/ the surge brakes, but a bit heavy unloaded. However, they are the only equipment I have ever had success with from U-Haul, but that is an entirely different discussion.

--------------------
-Brandon-

+Quote Post
BMRisko
post Feb 15 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #7

Platinum Member

Well, I had no problem towing the trailer...it was probably a hair over 4,500# and the hoe pulled it like a dream. I still had plenty of passing power and hills were no issue. Not bad for a motor and tranny w/ over 150k miles, although the motor is starting to burn more oil than I'd like. mad.gif

This post has been edited by BMRisko: Feb 15 2010, 09:10 AM

--------------------
-Brandon-

+Quote Post
Kerr
post Feb 18 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,307

i still want to delete all my tm...

To be honest with you im still not sure what to haul does... all ive noticed is it stays in each gear a lot longer and seem like the tq locks up sooner. In brads truck 8.1L with the allison.. it will down shift when you touch the breaks but other than that im not sure it really does anything special

--------------------
496ci, 4l80E, 78mm turbo, 60lb injectors, walbro 400 pump.. cam, and now broken :)

+Quote Post
92DakotaHD
post Feb 18 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #9

Silver Member

Member No.: 6,240

QUOTE (Kerr @ Feb 18 2010, 02:44 PM) *
i still want to delete all my tm...

To be honest with you im still not sure what to haul does... all ive noticed is it stays in each gear a lot longer and seem like the tq locks up sooner. In brads truck 8.1L with the allison.. it will down shift when you touch the breaks but other than that im not sure it really does anything special

Holds out shifts, particularly 2nd (mine won't hit 3rd until 60mph) and shifts more firmly all round. It's probably not really needed most of the time and I've even gone a few miles with my 6K Travel Trailer in tow without noticing. But when merging on the interstate it's handy to hold 2nd till you let off.

--------------------
Zach
1992 Dodge Dakota CC 2WD with a 2001 5.9L V8<<--My Baby
2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Bermuda Blue <<-- New to the House!
2001 VW Beetle TDi <<-- Wife's Ride!

New and eager to learn!

+Quote Post
sixstringhotshot
post Jun 6 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,389

T/H mode just changes the shift-points. I had Justin leave mine alone "just in case", and I sorta regret it. The regular mode with in-person BB tune ended up almost identical to the factory T/H shift points, but it's far more responsive. If I give it any more than "just a little" gas with a big load it will downshift without hesistation. Factory T/H is a little slow on the downshift, and generally you have to give it more gas than you really want to get it to drop down a gear.

I never use T/H any more.

--------------------
03 Suburban 2500 6.0L, Banks CAI, Black Bear tune, e-fans, Bilsteins, General HTS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 10:11 AM