Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rear Quarter Panel Damage, Time to learn some body repair skills
acanfield
post Jul 26 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,411

Well hey all--I think this is my first visit to this sub-forum.

Someone scraped and dented the left rear quarter-panel on our faithful Suburban. Other than some scrapes on the front bumper I was proud that the body was original and the paint is good.

Attached File  Suburban_left_rear_dent_SMALL.jpg ( 117.65K ) Number of downloads: 3

They obviously got into it good since it scraped to the metal then dented the panel. It happened at work, but I haven't been able to track down the culprit.

What do you all think this would run at a body shop? $100? $200? I imagine they have a minimum amount to even make it worth their while.

Since it's isolated to the lower portion of the panel I was thinking I might be able to hammer, sand, bondo, and paint the section myself. Any suggestions or quick pointers?

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 26 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Good body shop will likely run $500-600. That is a lot of manual labor in that creased sheet metal. Try to get a painless dent repair guy to look at it. It may not fully straighten out, but they might be able to do a miracle on the cheap. Even if they don't take out all the creases, you will have a much better starting point with minimal filler.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
acanfield
post Jul 26 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,411

QUOTE (carguru @ Jul 26 2017, 05:17 PM) *
Good body shop will likely run $500-600. That is a lot of manual labor in that creased sheet metal. Try to get a painless dent repair guy to look at it. It may not fully straighten out, but they might be able to do a miracle on the cheap. Even if they don't take out all the creases, you will have a much better starting point with minimal filler.

Thanks for the solid feedback. I figured it wasn't as simple as I hoped.

This only reinforces the aggravation factor, but I have to remind myself there is a reason I drive my clean "older" used cars. If this was a new Suburban I'd be really bent.

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

+Quote Post
jipioneer07
post Sep 15 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,596

The bottom part of the quarter panel is really thick. I had worse damage from jackknifing a trailer but in the same spot, took it to a trusted local guy who charged me $500 cash out the door. He even popped the door dings out for me. Since my Tahoe is 14ish years old I didn't think it would be worth it to go to a bigger shop that was notoriously more expensive because they mostly do insurance claims.

--------------------
2005 z71 Tahoe 4x4 Black - Leveled, Trail Grapplers, CB, LEDs/HIDs, & more

+Quote Post
Kerr
post Nov 28 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #5

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,307

you got lucky, i did the same thing but with one of my trailers, it has a perfect cut down the side..

--------------------
496ci, 4l80E, 78mm turbo, 60lb injectors, walbro 400 pump.. cam, and now broken :)

+Quote Post
Andrew
post Nov 30 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #6

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 702

A well-experienced paintless dent repair tech can straighten that sheet metal out to almost perfect. If you don't want to try tackling it yourself, that would be my first move. When the PDR guy is done with it, then you can decide whether or not it is worth a couple hundred to take to the body shop and have it repainted.

Of course, there is always the option of caking on 2lbs of body filler. tongue.gif I've done that when I didn't have time to do the metal work, just to make it look good at 60mph in the dark. :roll eyes:

--------------------

Tahoe's Garage
Jeep's Garage

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns." --Colonel Jessep

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:28 PM