Diamond Creek Road - Grand Canyon
arvetus
post Sep 30 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,350

Ok, here's a question.
How feasible is it to get a relatively stock Z71 GMT800 Suburban down the Diamond Creek Road into the Grand Canyon?
Stock suspension, no lifts and I run Cooper AT3, E-rated tires. Again, it is a Suburban...so a bit longer wheelbase.

While I know a stock Z71 can come nowhere near close to keeping up with some of the rock crawling capabilities of other off-road rigs, it is pretty capable for what it is. By the looks of it, Diamond Creek Road doesn't look any worse than some of the hunting roads and trails I traverse around here in East Texas.

Anyone done it?

I am thinking of a trip out to see my father out in Kingman, AZ next spring when the girls are out of school on spring break (mid March). Have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon and thought we'd spend a day at the South Rim at GCNP and maybe take another day and run down the Diamond Creek Road into the Indian Reservation and check it out. I realize it's two very different parts of the Canyon, but thought it might be a fun adventure for the fam if the vehicle was capable of it without tearing it up.

I've heard of people doing it in a Jeep Liberty, but said people like to brag up a little bit. Not sure how far I can throw them...

Thoughts?

This post has been edited by arvetus: Sep 30 2017, 12:52 PM

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71
BlackBear Performance Tune -- Dual Battery -- Efans / BBP Harness -- 285/70/17 Cooper AT3's -- 25% front / 5% rear tint -- Hellwig Sways -- Spohn Panhard Bar
Valentine 1 (1.85 (3.894)) -- iSimple Gateway
FCC Licensed Amateur Radio Operator - General Class -- ARES/RACES/Skywarn
Kenwood TM-v71a / Diamond SG7500NMO (2m/70cm)
Yaesu FT-2400 (2m / APRS)
Cobra 18WXSTII / Antennex C27
Icom 706 MKIIG (HF) / MFJ-945E (base and mobile)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 30 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Easy trails should be ok. Tight trails and obstacles would be tough for the Suburban. Jeep liberty has very short front and rear overhangs, short wheelbase and is relatively narrow. Suburban, not so much. Low difficulty trails should be fine as long as they arenít tight.

From experience, we were there about 15 years ago. Did this in a F250 crew. We stayed on the main unmaintained dirt road and it was fine. Some parts of the road was a little rough. Getting off the main trail would be a bit challenging as there are some spots with some nice size boulders that cans do some nice redecorating of the bodywork.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
arvetus
post Sep 30 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,350

Cool, thanks for the info.
If you could do it in a 3/4T crew cab, I should be able to do it in a burb. I have been looking at Google Earth views and also some of the pictures that folks upload to Google Maps. I am seeing 15 passenger vans and what looks like stock pickups down there next to the Colorado on the Diamond Creek road. Even an old bus in one of the photo shots.

I definitely wouldn't get off the main road, but even though it is not maintained, it looks like it's in fairly decent shape for most of it being a dry creek bed. I definitely wouldn't try to do anything too tight...I do know the limits of the vehicle. Just looks like it might be a neat family picnic down there. And although it's nowhere near as deep there as it is at the north and south rim, my girls could go back to school and say they drove to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

I might look into it further if the vehicle could handle it...

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71
BlackBear Performance Tune -- Dual Battery -- Efans / BBP Harness -- 285/70/17 Cooper AT3's -- 25% front / 5% rear tint -- Hellwig Sways -- Spohn Panhard Bar
Valentine 1 (1.85 (3.894)) -- iSimple Gateway
FCC Licensed Amateur Radio Operator - General Class -- ARES/RACES/Skywarn
Kenwood TM-v71a / Diamond SG7500NMO (2m/70cm)
Yaesu FT-2400 (2m / APRS)
Cobra 18WXSTII / Antennex C27
Icom 706 MKIIG (HF) / MFJ-945E (base and mobile)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 02:20 AM