Rating 4 V

Matt
post Jan 23 2015, 08:11 AM
Post #81

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Kharn @ Jan 22 2015, 10:33 PM) *
One thing to check on the new hub vs the old hub is the bolt holding the ABS sensor in place. I found that my replacement hub used a 5-sided tool when my original hub used a standard Allen wrench. I had to grind down another wrench to fit the 5-sided bolt's recessed head so I could remove the sensor and clean the mounting area when corrosion lifted the sensor out of position.

You might want to consider swapping the OEM bolt for the new one (or another bolt with a standard head) just in case you ever have to mess with the ABS sensor.

I'm gonna have to do this this weekend. Pretty much every stop is causing ABS to trigger. It's getting annoying. Now I'm anxious to see what kind of bolt is on my sensors.

--------------------
Gone but not forgotten...
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 Summit White, 5.3L
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

Replaced with 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser all stock
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Jan 24 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #82

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (Matt @ Jan 23 2015, 09:11 AM) *
QUOTE (Kharn @ Jan 22 2015, 10:33 PM) *
One thing to check on the new hub vs the old hub is the bolt holding the ABS sensor in place. I found that my replacement hub used a 5-sided tool when my original hub used a standard Allen wrench. I had to grind down another wrench to fit the 5-sided bolt's recessed head so I could remove the sensor and clean the mounting area when corrosion lifted the sensor out of position.

You might want to consider swapping the OEM bolt for the new one (or another bolt with a standard head) just in case you ever have to mess with the ABS sensor.

I'm gonna have to do this this weekend. Pretty much every stop is causing ABS to trigger. It's getting annoying. Now I'm anxious to see what kind of bolt is on my sensors.

Matt - Until you get to fix it, you could pull the ABS fuse. You would lose your cruise control too, but it will make it safer stopping!

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 26 2015, 06:21 AM
Post #83

Platinum Member

Good call Gary, I may try that.

I did pull apart my passenger side and the sensor was lifting due to corrosion. Was the allen bolt head. Came rightt off, used a chisel to clean the surface and put everything back together. I did undo the 2 caliper bolts so I could slide the rotor forward a few inches.

Anyway, too early to tell if this side was the problem child. We got a few inches of snow so I did drive the Tahoe today and didn't notice much ABS activity but it was present. Probably due to slippy roads though, or so I hope.

--------------------
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 26 2015, 11:53 AM
Post #84

Platinum Member

quick update, I ran some errands at lunch and no ABS! I guess I was just lucky as I only removed and cleaned the passenger sensor since I could do that while it was parked in the garage, couldn't get to driver side without moving a bunch of stuff.

So anyway fingers crossed, no more unwanted ABS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kharn
post Jan 26 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,976

Try doing a bunch of stops below 10mph to really ferret out ABS sensor issues.

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Jan 27 2015, 05:51 AM
Post #86

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (Kharn @ Jan 26 2015, 04:01 PM) *
Try doing a bunch of stops below 10mph to really ferret out ABS sensor issues.

Yep, that's the best way, under 10 MPH brings it out. Actually in my case, I think it was when I got down to about 4 - 5 mph when it was triggereing. Made for some very interesting maneuvering in a parking lot! ohmy.gif biggrin2.gif

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Matt
post Jan 27 2015, 06:29 AM
Post #87

Platinum Member

Agreed, sub 5mph and I always had to assume an extra 5 foot cushion. I could also slow way down, feel ABS engage, quickly lift off the brake pedal and back on and that usually eliminated the ABS. But again, added 5ft to my stopping distance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
acanfield
post May 27 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #88

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,411

Another bump and thanks for this post--bearing started grinding last night on the last stretch of a 3-hour drive to the inlaws. I swore it was the driver front but took folks advice and checked both--it was the right front.

After fighting with the top bolt, finally used to the torch to loosen it up. Came right out after that.

One thing Chevy could learn from Mopar--12-pt bolt heads in these high-torque locations. Never worried about stripping out the head on my Jeep Grand Cherokee hub bolts.

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 06:43 PM