Reply to this topicStart new topic
Backlight Behind Defroster, Replacement How To
TellschZ71
post Dec 18 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 85

I finally got some time to pull out the HVAC control module and replace the backlight behind the defroster button. The project was not to bad at all. However, I will warn you that the light bulbs are soldered in and not screw in.

Once you pull out the HVAC control module, pull out on the two knobs used for setting the temp - they are on pretty good, but keep pulling straight out and they will come. Then there are qty 4 3/16" screws that will need to come out (I used a nut driver) that holds the case together.

Once you open it up, you will see two green boards connected via a wiring harness, you do not need to disconnect the harness. All of the bulbs are covered with a blue/green cover - pull the cover off of the bulb you want to replace. Be careful though, you will need to reuse it.

Once the cover is off, heat up the solder joints used to hold the bulb to the board while gently pulling the bulb out. Reverse the process to install the new bulb. I used RadioShack part number 272-1154 as the replacement bulb and it matches the existing bulbs pretty dam close, if not dead on.

Go out to the truck and plug the harness back in and make sure everything works. Once it does, put the bulb cover back on, screw it together and rock and roll!

Here are the specs on the bulb I used as a replacement:
Voltage: 12volt
Current: 50mA
Light Output: 0.12MSCP
Bulb Type: T-1

Good Luck!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt
post Dec 19 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #2

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Good info! I recently noticed the back light for my recirc air button is dead. Will have to take a peek soon...

--------------------
Gone but not forgotten...
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 Summit White, 5.3L
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

Replaced with 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser all stock

+Quote Post
VortecV8~5.3L
post Jan 30 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,027

is this the same for an non-Z71 2002 tahoe LS?

--------------------
IPB Image

Ford keys, BFG 285/75/16 Mud-Terrains, Z71 Silverado rims, 6000k 50Watt HID kit, Tinted windshield 30% side windows 15%, Hi/Lo beam mod, Removed sidesteps, Kenwood 891 Headunit with ipod hookup, MB Quart Q Line componets in front and MBQ Premium components in rear with a Rockford T600-4, Rockford T1500-1 & 2 Rockford T2 15's, 250 AMP HO Alternator, Optima RedTop under hood, Northstar Battery in rear, Big 3, Deadened doors and trunk, RainX wiper blades, descreened MAF, K&N air and oil filters, Aimsoil Fully Sythetic oil, Throttle Body Bypass Mod, Cut Muffler.

+Quote Post
texman99
post Feb 7 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,970

I fried my board, now all my lights are toast.

I had no problem getting the lights out, but putting them back in was near impossible. The metal would not heat up enough to pass the wire through.

Does anyone know what the part number is for a HVAC control unit complete digital? 2005 Tahoe.

Frustrating

+Quote Post
Redline Whiine
post Apr 28 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,709

QUOTE (texman99 @ Feb 7 2010, 05:40 PM) *

I had no problem getting the lights out, but putting them back in was near impossible. The metal would not heat up enough to pass the wire through.

Does anyone know what the part number is for a HVAC control unit complete digital? 2005 Tahoe.

Frustrating

now im debating if i would like to do it aswell if that happened to you. my passenger climate light is out and my "1" fan speed doesnt work but 2-5 do. how do i fix the fan speed?

--------------------
-Ford torsion keys - 1.5 rear coil spacers - 295/70/17

+Quote Post
HokieNav
post Apr 28 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #6

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 3,665

QUOTE (Redline Whiine @ Apr 28 2010, 06:41 PM) *
my "1" fan speed doesnt work but 2-5 do. how do i fix the fan speed?
Resistor pack.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Apr 29 2010, 04:35 AM
Post #7

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (HokieNav @ Apr 28 2010, 10:23 PM) *
Resistor pack.

iagree.gif , At first, you'll notice it's only one speed that does not work, but if you let it go, pretty soon another speed will stop working! It's a pretty common issue, and fortunately, not too bad to replace the resistor pack. thumbsup.png

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Joe1129uscg
post Apr 30 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Gold Member

Member No.: 10,158

QUOTE (Gary P @ Apr 29 2010, 05:35 AM) *
QUOTE (HokieNav @ Apr 28 2010, 10:23 PM) *
Resistor pack.

iagree.gif , At first, you'll notice it's only one speed that does not work, but if you let it go, pretty soon another speed will stop working! It's a pretty common issue, and fortunately, not too bad to replace the resistor pack. thumbsup.png

If you wait too long the connector will melt...and for some reason the General sells the connector for MORE than the resitor!

--------------------
QUOTE (1badburb @ Dec, 17th 2011, HWY 114 & 35W)
"I don't drive like this all the time, I just know that you guys can appreciate the sound"
The "sound" 6.2 380HP full throttle w/K&N Intake, 7-10 runs in a 6 hour span...

+Quote Post
SteveWCJ
post Nov 27 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 187

Did it...WORKS GREAT!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

+Quote Post
Mo-Hoe
post Mar 27 2013, 11:31 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,589

QUOTE (TellschZ71 @ Dec 18 2007, 04:52 PM) *
I finally got some time to pull out the HVAC control module and replace the backlight behind the defroster button. The project was not to bad at all. However, I will warn you that the light bulbs are soldered in and not screw in.

Once you pull out the HVAC control module, pull out on the two knobs used for setting the temp - they are on pretty good, but keep pulling straight out and they will come. Then there are qty 4 3/16" screws that will need to come out (I used a nut driver) that holds the case together.

Once you open it up, you will see two green boards connected via a wiring harness, you do not need to disconnect the harness. All of the bulbs are covered with a blue/green cover - pull the cover off of the bulb you want to replace. Be careful though, you will need to reuse it.

Once the cover is off, heat up the solder joints used to hold the bulb to the board while gently pulling the bulb out. Reverse the process to install the new bulb. I used RadioShack part number 272-1154 as the replacement bulb and it matches the existing bulbs pretty dam close, if not dead on.

Go out to the truck and plug the harness back in and make sure everything works. Once it does, put the bulb cover back on, screw it together and rock and roll!

Good Luck!

Thank you for the tip! followed your instructions and everything worked great! changed out all 11 lamps in the HVAC mod. Thanks Again!

--------------------
Mo-Hoe

+Quote Post
carlos75
post Apr 27 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,837

QUOTE (Mo-Hoe @ Mar 27 2013, 01:31 PM) *
QUOTE (TellschZ71 @ Dec 18 2007, 04:52 PM) *

Good Luck!

Thank you for the tip! followed your instructions and everything worked great! changed out all 11 lamps in the HVAC mod. Thanks Again!

those are good on mine but the bigger led bulbs are out on the mixer control knob. do u know the part number for that led? i stole one out of a flashlight and soldered it in , but no luck. either the bulb was burned or just too much bulb for that spot in the pcb. the leds have a small heat jacket spacer between them and the printed circuit board. thanks for any help guys.

+Quote Post
thedeepfriedboot
post Apr 28 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #12

Silver Member

Member No.: 9,551

QUOTE (texman99 @ Feb 7 2010, 02:40 PM) *

Frustrating

Did you use flux and solder wick. Steps to make it easier.

1. Clean area with isopropyl then apply flux/rosin to joint you removed the light from.
2. Using good solder wick, remove any solder left in hole.
3. Clean up hole using isopropyl and a Q-tip to remove residue and burned flux.
4. Add a tiny bit of fresh flux/rosin, put in the bulb, and solder.
5. DONE!

--------------------
Electrical Engineering Graduate (Woo!) - University of Arizona
*To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)
*Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud, after a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.
My Projects/Mods:
Homelink Rewire (In Progress) | Old HID Install | A/C Control Blue LED Mod | VHF Ham Radio Install | 2nd Battery Install | Windows Vents | Roof Rack Light Wire Pass-through | Horn/PA Upgrade | SHIELD Response Vehicle

+Quote Post
carlos75
post May 25 2013, 04:57 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,837

QUOTE (thedeepfriedboot @ Apr 28 2013, 01:01 PM) *

Frustrating

1. Clean area with isopropyl then apply flux/rosin to joint you removed the light from.
5. DONE!

hey deep fried...i have an 02 suburban z. i pulled the ac controls and tooke the 4 bulbs out behind the mixer knobs. i changed them with leds and resistors. i did the door switches last week with no problem but the ac control wont set my lights off. i dont know if i got the polarity switched or what. have you done thiscircuit board switch yet? when im looking at the board, like i was driving i set all the positives on the left side. and all the neg on the right. do you remember which is positive on the circuit board? anyone?

+Quote Post
thedeepfriedboot
post May 27 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #14

Silver Member

Member No.: 9,551

QUOTE (carlos75 @ May 25 2013, 03:57 AM) *
QUOTE (thedeepfriedboot @ Apr 28 2013, 01:01 PM) *

Frustrating

5. DONE!

hey deep fried...i have an 02 suburban z. i pulled the ac controls and tooke the 4 bulbs out behind the mixer knobs. i changed them with leds and resistors. i did the door switches last week with no problem but the ac control wont set my lights off. i dont know if i got the polarity switched or what. have you done thiscircuit board switch yet? when im looking at the board, like i was driving i set all the positives on the left side. and all the neg on the right. do you remember which is positive on the circuit board? anyone?

The lights on the AC controls are in series, not parallel, so you will have 2 LEDs per chain. I do not remember which direction the LEDs get installed in, I just used my multimeter when I was poking around my panel.

--------------------
Electrical Engineering Graduate (Woo!) - University of Arizona
*To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)
*Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud, after a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.
My Projects/Mods:
Homelink Rewire (In Progress) | Old HID Install | A/C Control Blue LED Mod | VHF Ham Radio Install | 2nd Battery Install | Windows Vents | Roof Rack Light Wire Pass-through | Horn/PA Upgrade | SHIELD Response Vehicle

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 06:40 PM