Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Loud Bang In 4lo
darren509
post Nov 19 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,740

While in my drive way with the trans in neutral i pressed the 4 lo button and it goes in to low but with a loud bang. Shifts into 4hi nice and quietly but bangs hard everytime in 4lo. Could this be just a bad u joint or something in my transfer case.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Nov 20 2017, 05:34 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

I think it's pretty normal, depending on how LOUD the bang is. I mean, I can hear it on mine, and feel the bump too. I wish it were 'silent', but every 4WD truck I've had has done this, so I think you're OK. thumbsup.png

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
hdwrench99
post Nov 21 2017, 07:30 AM
Post #3

Platinum Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 12,723

I agree with Gary. Mine has very noticeable clunk when going into 4LO. It's hard to determine sounds over the internet, but more than likely, you're fine.

--------------------
Black '04 Tahoe keys and 1" spacers 285/70-17 BFG AT KO's Goodyear Duratracs
Black Bear Tune and E-Fans. GMT900 brake upgrade. My Garage

"Its not about the number of merit badges earned or the revenue... it's about the memories made." - Rev. Tim Lehman Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation Camp Director

QUOTE (JimB204 @ Apr 27 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Now that you found this site, you will never be content with your truck..

How To Donate to Z71T-S.com: CLICK HERE!

+Quote Post
darren509
post Nov 24 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Thanks guys. Ill replace the u joints and see if it wuiets doen or not

+Quote Post
Andrew
post Nov 25 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 702

It is not very likely that a u-joint is going to cause a banging sound, especially not simply shifting the transfer case. About the only thing that will "bang" while shifting is the high/low range sleeve. It has a brass synchronizer ring built into the sleeve. If that ring is excessively worn, then the sleeve will not smoothly slide over the splines like it is suppose to. The splines will misalign and hang up for a brief moment, then the splines will align and slam into place. That could be the source of your "bang". Even in normal operation it will make a noise, so you kind of have to have an experienced ear to tell whether or not something is wrong. As long as it shifts and functions through the ranges, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Chewed up brass isn't going to damage hardened bearings, chains, or gears. It COULD clog the oil pickup screen, so I would go ahead and change the fluid out. If the old fluid looks like Goldschlager, you've found your problem. If you see brass particulate, I'd run it a few thousand miles, then change it again and check for more debris. When you see clean fluid, you can stop worrying about it. Without the synchronizer, you may eventually see wear on the sleeve and shaft splines. You'll recognize this by having issues shifting through the ranges.

If you see silver metal in the fluid, you have a bigger problem and need to address it before you tear up expensive parts. There is a magnet in the bottom of the case next to the oil drain hole. You can stick your finger or a borescope in there and see if there is any steel stuck to it.

These transfer cases are tough as nails though. As long as they have fluid, they rarely have problems. The only exception to that is cases that have clutch packs in them (auto-trac). Those clutches eventually wear out and cause slipping and binding issues.

--------------------

Tahoe's Garage
Jeep's Garage

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns." --Colonel Jessep

+Quote Post
darren509
post Nov 25 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #6

Thank you Andrew. Ill check the fluid and see how it looks. Appreciate your help

+Quote Post
darren509
post Nov 25 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #7

I know this might not be the loud bang but after replacing my encoder sensor just now and looking under the truck i saw this on the passenger side. Looks like the axle is throwing grease? I cant drain the fluid in transfer case yet as my pan is full of oil from my other car. Is my axle shaft done for ?

Here is another picture
Attached File(s)
Attached File  F96CC56F_9B3E_4824_9D99_74407787A489.jpeg ( 72.35K ) Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  3D1C1B63_4E7C_49DC_BCA9_9D3E6941CA08.jpeg ( 66.34K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
Andrew
post Nov 30 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 702

Might just need a new boot depending on how long it ran without grease. Axle shafts are fairly inexpensive though, so I'd go ahead and replace it.

--------------------

Tahoe's Garage
Jeep's Garage

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns." --Colonel Jessep

+Quote Post
jipioneer07
post Dec 1 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,596

I snapped one of those shafts shifting into 4lo once. I doubt that has anything to do with your problem though.

--------------------
2005 z71 Tahoe 4x4 Black - Leveled, Trail Grapplers, CB, LEDs/HIDs, & more

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 06:48 AM