Reply to this topicStart new topic
Max Tongue Weight Factory Hitch
Brian_D
post Jul 7 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #21

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,169

I went through there and did in fact see a couple of threads with hitch failures. surprising to say the least. However, if this was a frequent occurrence, with the number of tahoes / yukons / suburbans / yukon xl / etc out there, I'd imagine there would be a class action lawsuit or a very very big recall in effect. But good info to know anyhow.

--------------------
Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
92DakotaHD
post Jul 7 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #22

Silver Member

Member No.: 6,240

QUOTE(BlkHoe03 @ Jul 7 2008, 05:09 PM) [snapback]202416[/snapback]

I went through there and did in fact see a couple of threads with hitch failures. surprising to say the least. However, if this was a frequent occurrence, with the number of tahoes / yukons / suburbans / yukon xl / etc out there, I'd imagine there would be a class action lawsuit or a very very big recall in effect. But good info to know anyhow.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to happen to anyone just for towing. And while it may be a very small percentage total. It's a pretty well-known topic and seems to be pretty prevalent among those of us that tow regularly. A significant problem? Maybe not but if you consider the number who've had problems that actually tow, it may be more of a problem. I bet a huge number of Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans and XL's never even get hooked up to a trailer more than a few hundred pounds. Those won't fail and to say that speaks well for the hitch is misleading as well. Numbers need to be figured amongst those that tow real trailers with their rigs. Too many Soccer Moms can skew the numbers.

--------------------
Zach
1992 Dodge Dakota CC 2WD with a 2001 5.9L V8<<--My Baby
2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Bermuda Blue <<-- New to the House!
2001 VW Beetle TDi <<-- Wife's Ride!

New and eager to learn!

+Quote Post
Brian_D
post Jul 8 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #23

Gold Member

QUOTE(92DakotaHD @ Jul 7 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]202471[/snapback]

QUOTE(BlkHoe03 @ Jul 7 2008, 05:09 PM) [snapback]202416[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to happen to anyone just for towing. And while it may be a very small percentage total. It's a pretty well-known topic and seems to be pretty prevalent among those of us that tow regularly. A significant problem? Maybe not but if you consider the number who've had problems that actually tow, it may be more of a problem. I bet a huge number of Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans and XL's never even get hooked up to a trailer more than a few hundred pounds. Those won't fail and to say that speaks well for the hitch is misleading as well. Numbers need to be figured amongst those that tow real trailers with their rigs. Too many Soccer Moms can skew the numbers.

so have you heard if any action or recourse has started on a large scale from all of these failures?

--------------------

+Quote Post
92DakotaHD
post Jul 8 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #24

Silver Member

QUOTE(BlkHoe03 @ Jul 8 2008, 11:11 AM) [snapback]202545[/snapback]

so have you heard if any action or recourse has started on a large scale from all of these failures?

NTSB is investigating a certain year of truck/SUV that I heard. I really think that so few people use them for towing that it'll never get to a LARGE scale.

--------------------
Zach

New and eager to learn!

+Quote Post
Ken
post Jul 8 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #25

Platinum Member

Member No.: 988

I see a lot of chevy trucks towing boats and trailers in my area. If the hitch has issues these guys would have started complaining, I would think.

--------------------
Pretentious Black 14 Escalade, like those 6.2 Liters!

Black 05 Z71 Burb 3.42s Sold 10/2016
Magnaflow Corsa Sport Catback, 50W fogs - Sylv 885, US Flag Bowtie
Bilsteins, Escalade 18s
20% Tint
Tuned by Justin - two thumbs up!

Garage | Ken_Z71-05 on Yahoo!

2002 Red Tahoe - nice truck but a bit too short. Sold to a friend in 2005.

+Quote Post
Brian_D
post Jul 8 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #26

Gold Member

QUOTE(Ken @ Jul 8 2008, 08:56 PM) [snapback]202688[/snapback]

I see a lot of chevy trucks towing boats and trailers in my area. If the hitch has issues these guys would have started complaining, I would think.

this is where I'm stuck on this...I read that in 2004, GM recalled over 4 million p/u (silverado, sierra, avalanche, escalade) due to the tailgate cable. If I guessed 1 SUV for each P/U, then that's another 4 million SUVs. But that's only to 2004, extrapolate that out to 2008, you're somewhere in the ballpark of 16 million SUV/trucks. Admittedly this isn't exact, but I'd guess it's in the ballpark. I'd guess that most would have the hitches on them, so that means that there are ALOT of hitches out there that are potentially bad. Even if a small percentage of owners haul, that's still a lot of hitches at risk. When looking at the total number of SUVs & trucks out there hauling, if there was a faulty hitch issue, there would be failures all over the place. And we all know how the media loves to call out big business on something like this...ex: Ford Explorers & the dangerous tires. Ralph Nader would be all over it!

So I don't doubt for a second it has happened, I guess I'm not convinced it's a widespread issue. But who knows...time will tell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
92DakotaHD
post Jul 9 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #27

Silver Member

QUOTE(BlkHoe03 @ Jul 8 2008, 10:20 PM) [snapback]202694[/snapback]

QUOTE(Ken @ Jul 8 2008, 08:56 PM) [snapback]202688[/snapback]

this is where I'm stuck on this...I read that in 2004, GM recalled over 4 million p/u (silverado, sierra, avalanche, escalade) due to the tailgate cable. If I guessed 1 SUV for each P/U, then that's another 4 million SUVs. But that's only to 2004, extrapolate that out to 2008, you're somewhere in the ballpark of 16 million SUV/trucks. Admittedly this isn't exact, but I'd guess it's in the ballpark. I'd guess that most would have the hitches on them, so that means that there are ALOT of hitches out there that are potentially bad. Even if a small percentage of owners haul, that's still a lot of hitches at risk. When looking at the total number of SUVs & trucks out there hauling, if there was a faulty hitch issue, there would be failures all over the place. And we all know how the media loves to call out big business on something like this...ex: Ford Explorers & the dangerous tires. Ralph Nader would be all over it!

So I don't doubt for a second it has happened, I guess I'm not convinced it's a widespread issue. But who knows...time will tell.

I wouldn't say they are completely faulty. But if you plan on towing a 6,000# Travel trailer with a Weight distributing hitch, the word on the net is to keep an eye on the hitch.

--------------------
Zach

New and eager to learn!

+Quote Post
jjklongisland
post Jul 30 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #28

Silver Member

Member No.: 6,372

I go and pick up the coring machine tommorrow. I will try and take pics of the sag...

--------------------
2008 Nissan Armada - X Suburban Owner

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS

+Quote Post
jjklongisland
post Jul 31 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #29

Silver Member

Member No.: 6,372

It didnt sag that much at all, can hardly notice it has 480 pounds hanging off it...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------
2008 Nissan Armada - X Suburban Owner

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS

+Quote Post
Rocketfella
post Sep 2 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 22,809

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I have a variation on this question.

I want to put a motorcycle carrier on the back of the Avalanche. The carrier is rated for a 600 lb bike and weighs 97 pounds itself.

The bike I want to put on there is 485 fully fueled for a total weight of 582 after adding the carrier.

I know much is made about tongue weight when towing, but I'm not really towing in this case, it's really just a platform with a bike riding on it. Can I put this setup on an avalanche with a 500 lbs max tongue weight?

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 3 2017, 02:09 AM
Post #31

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

You should be ok, however, you need to check how much the front end is lifting. This will determine water it is safe or not

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Rocketfella
post Sep 3 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 22,809

I've since found out that the Escalade EXT is rated for 600... I doubt they would have used different hardware between those two trucks. So I'm thinking 85lbs over won't be an issue.

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 3 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #33

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Like I said, you should be fine. Just make sure it doesn't lift your front end up to where the truck doesn't handle well. If you have load leveling, it will help. Another thing to check for is make sure the welds on the hitch aren't rusty. The OEM design can be weak if the weld joints on the tube are rusty.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 5 2017, 04:55 AM
Post #34

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (carguru @ Sep 3 2017, 06:57 PM) *
.... If you have load leveling, it will help. Another thing to check for is make sure the welds on the hitch aren't rusty. The OEM design can be weak if the weld joints on the tube are rusty.

GOOD point, especially if the Avalanche is from the rust belt!

Also, I think a set of airbags woould help in this situation. We've used them and are very happy. Easy to install, handles the extra weight well, and without a load on you can maintain the same smooth ride.
Air bags...

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 02:12 AM