Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Adding Rear Aux A/c Controls
da_raabi
post May 9 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,647

My 2006 Suburban does not have auxiliary HVAC controls above the middle seats. It only has the front aux controls up by the windshield. Is there any way to add these controls? I have found a replacement front aux HVAC switch that has the "AUX" setting on it, as well as a new rear control unit on ebay. My problem is that I found no wiring or bracketry behind the dome light that might allow me to add this new aux controller. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Your help is much appreciated!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott
post May 9 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (da_raabi @ May 9 2017, 09:19 AM) *
My 2006 Suburban does not have auxiliary HVAC controls above the middle seats. It only has the front aux controls up by the windshield. Is there any way to add these controls? I have found a replacement front aux HVAC switch that has the "AUX" setting on it, as well as a new rear control unit on ebay. My problem is that I found no wiring or bracketry behind the dome light that might allow me to add this new aux controller. Does anyone know how I can do this?

I might be misreading your question, but on my Tahoe, the rear HVAC/Radio controls were on the back of the front center console. The only thing on the 2nd rwo roof is the rear entertainment dvd system. That said, I would suspect this mod to fully integrate rear controls would be a rather big job, and quite costly unless you can read wiring schematics, and you have access to a scanner for programming so you can handle this all yourself.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
da_raabi
post May 9 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Scott @ May 9 2017, 10:30 AM) *
QUOTE (da_raabi @ May 9 2017, 09:19 AM) *

I might be misreading your question, but on my Tahoe, the rear HVAC/Radio controls were on the back of the front center console. The only thing on the 2nd rwo roof is the rear entertainment dvd system. That said, I would suspect this mod to fully integrate rear controls would be a rather big job, and quite costly unless you can read wiring schematics, and you have access to a scanner for programming so you can handle this all yourself.

Ok I guess I should clarify. My burb is not a Z71 (I know, I'm sorry) and has the split bench front seats with no center console. So the rear aux controls are on the roof, when they are present. Like this (from another site, not mine):

Front

Rear:

+Quote Post
Scott
post May 9 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Thanks for those pics. My front is the same as your first pic, but I have spots for the Auto Mode. I have not however seen a setup with the 2nd row roof controls. However, while it certainly is doable, the best bet would be if you could find a donor vehicle so you can swap out what you need for a DIY project. I'm not sure if BCM programming would be necessary for a Manual system, but for the Auto systems, I would think so. I've never seen this mod done, and can't help much, but it will be a pricy one if you can't DIY and have access to the needed components relatively inexpensively. Good luck!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post May 9 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

There are going to have to be quite a few things involved in your swap. The front/rear switch will require that you cut out the headliner. It should have a screw and hooks into holes that exists in your roof sheet metal already. Once you get that in, you are likely going to have to get a new main control head that supports the second set of controls. As long as you are staying with the same setup and not attempting the auto controls at the same time. That by itself will be a major feat. I'll take a double look at the harness schematics later to confirm this.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
da_raabi
post May 10 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (carguru @ May 9 2017, 03:44 PM) *
There are going to have to be quite a few things involved in your swap. The front/rear switch will require that you cut out the headliner. It should have a screw and hooks into holes that exists in your roof sheet metal already. Once you get that in, you are likely going to have to get a new main control head that supports the second set of controls. As long as you are staying with the same setup and not attempting the auto controls at the same time. That by itself will be a major feat. I'll take a double look at the harness schematics later to confirm this.

That would be awesome. I can get the forward control switch with the aux spot on the knob on ebay for a decent price. They even come with the homelink buttons! I can also get the rear aux control, housing etc. I would just need to source the roof bracket for the new controls and then the hard part... wiring. I can't find any info anywhere about how the wiring is supposed to go. I think Scott is on the right track about finding a donor or something. A vehicle I can take apart and understand how everything goes together. My local you-pull-it yard brings in 'burbs every once in a while - I just hope I can find one with these controls in it (which does seem more rare than the center console controls).

I'm not looking to switch to auto controls, which should help.

+Quote Post
carguru
post May 10 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

You don't need a roof mount. The holes should already be there. Headliner needs to be cut. The middle control will have the hooks to mount to the roof holes. Those controls usually come from the manual AC controllers on the trucks with no sunroof. That might help narrow your search.

I looked at the schematics and it looks like there are additional lines to handle the pass through controls. Let me dig a little deeper on whether the control head can handle this.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
da_raabi
post May 12 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (carguru @ May 10 2017, 06:38 PM) *
You don't need a roof mount. The holes should already be there. Headliner needs to be cut. The middle control will have the hooks to mount to the roof holes. Those controls usually come from the manual AC controllers on the trucks with no sunroof. That might help narrow your search.

I looked at the schematics and it looks like there are additional lines to handle the pass through controls. Let me dig a little deeper on whether the control head can handle this.

Ok cool, so that's one less part I need to worry about. I guess it's just down to figuring out the wiring. I'm hoping it's just a spliced-in harness and not a whole different harness all the way to the blower resistor etc!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 04:24 PM