thedeepfriedboot
post Sep 27 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #121

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,551

QUOTE (tx tahoe z71 @ Sep 27 2011, 01:31 PM) *
QUOTE (thedeepfriedboot @ Sep 27 2011, 02:54 PM) *
Since you guys who want to do the diode mod found this topic, please read my post number 111 with a few concerns I had with diode connections, mainly jamming them into the back side of plugs or relay sockets. If you want to use a diode, make sure you have a secure solder, or at minimum a double crimp, connection as well as a fuse. Oh, and as mentioned, the wiring for different years vary greatly, so make sure to check a wiring diagram or ask us if you see a mod that does not list your year vehicle. Blowing up electrical equipment is only fun when intended (capacitors go big bada boom!), not when driving down the road.

I read post 111. However, please read the link in my post (as it has nothing to do with relays). If you overload the diode, it fails and allows current to flow both ways, meaning low beams will trigger high beams and high beams will trigger low beams, rather than just the latter. Easy to identify, easy to fix.

What you are talking about is called the Zener or avalanche breakdown effect, and that applies to "over-volting" the diode in reverse bias which basically causes the diode to allow current to flow in reverse beyond a certain breakdown voltage point. This is not what I was talking about since these "normal" diodes probably have breakdown voltages well above 12v. What I am concerned about is overloading the diode with too much current. If you do that, the diode will get very hot and possibly blow up. The p-n junction can only handle so much current before internal resistance and the resultant heating becomes a massive issue. This is why I recommend a fuse, they are more predictable than the diodes are in failure conditions.

This post has been edited by thedeepfriedboot: Sep 27 2011, 10:53 PM

--------------------
Electrical Engineering Graduate (Woo!) - University of Arizona
*To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)
*Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud, after a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.
My Projects/Mods:
Homelink Rewire (In Progress) | Old HID Install | A/C Control Blue LED Mod | VHF Ham Radio Install | 2nd Battery Install | Windows Vents | Roof Rack Light Wire Pass-through | Horn/PA Upgrade | SHIELD Response Vehicle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tx tahoe z71
post Sep 27 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #122

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,017

I see your point, very valid. I will have to do a bit of researching and see what I can turn up when I have some time.

--------------------
2003 Tahoe Z71 5.3 FlexFuel: Magnacharger Radix, 3.0", GT2-3 cam, CTS-V h/e, LPP LT's, KB BAP, 75# inj, Wheatley E85 tune, 40k cooler, servos, HD2, 05 fans, 22" Magnaflow, Hotchkis sways, panhard, trailing arms, Edelbrock IAS, hydroboost, 07 brakes, 3.73s, PPI amps, PPI components, JL sub, Alpine headunit, Dynamatted
Waiting to be installed: TrueTrac, FP gauge, Meziere i/c pump
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 12:01 PM