IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Photobucket Does A Dumb Move, charges $$$$ to link your photos to 3rd party site
02TahoeMD
post Jun 30 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,406

So, apparently Photobucket now wants about $400 a year to host photos on their site that you, in turn, share on other forums. DUMB move. I can not imagine the amount of information out on the internet that has now been corrupted and made almost unusable without the photos long since referenced on Photobucket. annoyed.gif bashing.gif mad.gif

Scott, any idea how many threads on this forum are affected?

Anyone have any suggestions on other sites to do remote image linking?

--------------------

" I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? "
~ E. Hemingway

Z71 T-S Build Thread
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simantic
post Jul 1 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 20,578

Wow. That's one of the most dirtbag moves ever! No warning, just cut off linking access on a holiday weekend. They know that people won't want to deal with it on a holiday weekend, so they'll be more likely to pay them at least once to get through the weekend...and then maybe stay afterwards. Dirt. Bags.

I've been thinking about kicking the Bucket for awhile now since the ads have just made it miserable to use. The most popular options are Flickr and Imgur. I've tried Flickr, and while it works, they make it unnecessarily difficult to obtain the links for sharing images online; not on purpose I think, just not very user friendly. I'm gonna try Imgur...when I get back after the holiday weekend, anyway. It seems to be a bit more user-friendly, and zero laggy ads!

--------------------
2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71

Keys, 2-in Spacers, 295/70R17 Hankook DynaPro AT-m, K&N CAI, BBP Tune
Building Bucky Burban

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 5 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #3

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (02TahoeMD @ Jun 30 2017, 08:27 PM) *
So, apparently Photobucket now wants about $400 a year to host photos on their site that you, in turn, share on other forums. DUMB move. I can not imagine the amount of information out on the internet that has now been corrupted and made almost unusable without the photos long since referenced on Photobucket. annoyed.gif bashing.gif mad.gif

Scott, any idea how many threads on this forum are affected?

Anyone have any suggestions on other sites to do remote image linking?

That is one of the reasons why I always encouraged folks to upload here. I don't mind paying the extra cost of storage. We are already to 18 GB, and that's fine to me to ensure pics stay intact. The reality is, over the years, people change services, or things change and the links break. There is just nothing I can do on my end to repair them.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
duntov
post Jul 5 2017, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Platinum Member

Member No.: 9,080

QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 5 2017, 10:18 AM) *
That is one of the reasons why I always encouraged folks to upload here.

That is the real solution. I remember linking all my pics with GoDaddy and then they shut me down for breaking the EULA. All my threads now are worthless without the photos. Any chance on allowing larger photo file sizes?

--------------------
John
2003 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer, 416 ci, Whipple 2.9L, ARH, 4.10 ratio, progressive body lift.

Become a supporting member of Z71T-S.com>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 5 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (duntov @ Jul 5 2017, 10:25 AM) *
QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 5 2017, 10:18 AM) *
That is one of the reasons why I always encouraged folks to upload here.

That is the real solution. I remember linking all my pics with GoDaddy and then they shut me down for breaking the EULA. All my threads now are worthless without the photos. Any chance on allowing larger photo file sizes?

I did recently increase the size a bit. However, as mentioned 18GB is alot, and as a result I cannot get too crazy with this.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
02TahoeMD
post Jul 6 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,406

While I certainly recognize it would be best to post / host my images on each forum that I have belonged to, for me the fastest and easiest way to post photos with my forum entries were with the IMG coding on my Photobucket account. Mind you, I have not made one cent off of my forum entries and the sharing of my projects, and to now get charged $400 a year so I can keep sharing my experience with other hobbyists is NOT worth it. At all. dry.gif

I did a google search today and the phrase " Photobucket Ransom" has over 450,000 entries, many of them news stories from places like BBC, NBC, The Guardian, etc. It seems the backlash against Photobucket has been quite large. I am curious as to what they will have to say. I am sure they have permanently lost many thousands of users who would not come back under any circumstances.

I personally would pay a nominal fee to keep my photo links intact. But $400 a year? Not. EVER.

--------------------

" I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? "
~ E. Hemingway

Z71 T-S Build Thread

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 7 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #7

Needs a Life!

Yeah, it's interesting how this is playing out. Pretty crappy business plan to allow for years free linking so people are hopelessly entangled, they drop this bomb. Imho, they fully planned to eventually offer a reasonable fee, but dropped the $400 bomb first so they can come off like nice guys by later lowering it to something more in the $20 range - which was the original plan in the first place. I mean did they really think $400 out of the blue would be happily accepted with open arms? Crappy all together.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
92DakotaHD
post Jul 10 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Silver Member

Member No.: 6,240

I gave up on photobucket years ago. First it was free, then they charged and I actually paid for it for a bit. Then it went back to free, then paid again I think. The back and forth was frustrating so I stopped using it.

--------------------
Zach
1992 Dodge Dakota CC 2WD with a 2001 5.9L V8<<--My Baby
2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Bermuda Blue <<-- New to the House!
2001 VW Beetle TDi <<-- Wife's Ride!

New and eager to learn!

+Quote Post
acanfield
post Jul 26 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,411

So what is the recommended solution? This is a common thread across the Chevy and Jeep forums and I haven't seen a solution yet.

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 27 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #10

Needs a Life!

I always recommend uploading the photos to the forum directly, instead of linking. As long as the forum still exists, the photos are safe.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 27 2017, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

I use imgur.com a lot. This is still free.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
jipioneer07
post Jul 27 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,596

postimages.org is tailored for forums and lets you select to keep your photos up forever. It's free and doesn't even force you to create an account.

This post has been edited by jipioneer07: Jul 27 2017, 06:42 PM

--------------------
2005 z71 Tahoe 4x4 Black - Leveled, Trail Grapplers, CB, LEDs/HIDs, & more

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 28 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #13

Needs a Life!

The problem with outside sites is, well, just look at the Photobucket situation. Things change, and then what? You can certainly use outside sites to store images, but it's always good to upload a separate copy to the forum that you are posting to.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 28 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #14

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Yep, that is the best option. The outside sites definitely can change their terms of use in a heartbeat.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
gothoe?
post Sep 26 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,134

Amazon S3. I hear its pretty cheap. I got a dollar I'm willing to pitch in. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Scott
post Sep 27 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #16

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (gothoe? @ Sep 26 2017, 11:43 PM) *
Amazon S3. I hear its pretty cheap. I got a dollar I'm willing to pitch in. biggrin.gif

I don't understand? Amazon S3 is a personal cloud solution, which is a play to play thing. As mentioned before, we always recommend uploading the photos here so they are safeguarded from people closing or changing personal accts and breaking the links. Using a different service won't change the underlying logic.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 05:02 AM