Rating 5 V

Gary P
post Sep 14 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #41

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (carguru @ Sep 13 2005, 10:10 PM)
Glad you got it!  Did you get the one with the rubber bushing?

Hmmm, not really sure. The new one looked like it had an additional seal of some sort near the spline end, but I didn't really see what I would call a rubber bushing. huh.gif

Hope I got the correct (updated) shaft. In any case, it works well. My parts guy told me the part went through severl revisions, so I think he knows wht he's talking about. He told me to save the receipt, just in case it ever turns into an official recall, to at least get the cost of the part back. I'm not too worried about that, I just want the fix to work. I'm happy with it now.... biggrin.gif

Carguru - Thanks again for your help!

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chuckee98
post Sep 14 2005, 07:08 AM
Post #42

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 677

hmm, did some digging..... p/n: 88965505 is a remanufactured intermediate steering shaft. Apparently GM is now having an outside source remanufacture their steering shafts because they (GM) still couldn't get it right. Supposedly there's a $5 core charge for the old shaft removed from the vehicle when replaced with the remanufactured part. The redesigned part number 88963611, which I believe was supposed to be a new shaft, was superseded by the remanufactured 88965505 part number on the latest TSB. Let's hope this new iteration fixes the problem.

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 14 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #43

Needs a Life!

Chuckee.... Yes, you're right. The new number is a re-manufactured one. My parts guy told me it was supposed to be better than the original (and we all know how good they were.... ). I hope the re-man unit does the trick. For now, it's rock solid, the way they are supposed to be!

I'm probably not going to return the old one for the $5 core charge. Why? I dunno.... maybe I'll see about drilling it for a grease fitting? At least that way, I'd have a spare shaft already greased and ready to go if this replacement ever fails... Maybe that's not such a good idea, to drill and tap the shaft? What do you think? It would be a snap to re-lube it....

This post has been edited by Gary P: Sep 14 2005, 07:55 AM

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!

+Quote Post
stukesmd
post Sep 14 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 457

I just pulled the original work order where the dealer ordered a new steering shaft last October and it showed part number 88963611. The work order from this past February when they finally got the part and installed it shows that part number 88965505 was installed and shows a core return.

The bad news is that after 9,000 miles, the problem has re-occurred. These parts carry a 12/12 warranty so I am going back to delaer to see what they will do before I lube it myself.

Steve

--------------------
2007 Yukon Denali XL : Still on MOD probation

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 14 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #45

Needs a Life!

Stukes - DARN! Only 9000 miles and it returned. ohmy.gif sad.gif

Those are the same part numbers I was given.... I went in asking for p/n 88963611, and was told it had been "upgraded" to p/n 88965505. That's what I got, part number 88965505. I have not returned my core, and probably won't. I will probably try to "fix" it by tapping it for a zerk grease fitting so I will have a ready replacement if/when the new one fails. Then it can become part of my routine lube and oil change services.

Anybody else have a failure of the "new and improved" shaft?

--------------------

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 14 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #46

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Grease zerk won't work. Here is why:

1. Because of the splines on the shaft, the grease won't go all the way around the shaft.
2. The location for a zerk to be effective, will cause binding against the firewall and will be covered by the rubber boot.

There was a revised TSB issued earlier this year. GM released 2 new, different shafts. One with a rubber damper, the other without. I posted the part numbers on one of the numerous posts on this issue.

On my Silverado, I still have the original shaft. The knock has not returned in the 18k miles I've put on since I originally wrote the procedure. On the Tahoe, it only does it slightly when it is real cold out--and only before the vehicle is warmed up.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 14 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #47

Needs a Life!

CG - Makes sense what you wrote about the splines not working with a zerk fitting. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll just get the lube kit and re-lube the old one for a spare?

I'll be seeing my parts guy at the drags this week-end, and I'll ask him a few more questions about all of the revised p/n's, and which ones he's had returns on and which ones worked well.

Can anyone say "aftermarket opportunity"??? I usually stick with GM parts, but if there is a known replacement that's proven itself, and it's not priced way out of sight, I'd go for that.

This post has been edited by Gary P: Sep 14 2005, 09:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 14 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #48

Needs a Life!

Chuckee98 tested an aftermarket shaft, but it gave him some probs.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
ChevroletGuy
post Oct 3 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 1,587

I just joined this site so I'm a little new. I've got an 01 3/4 suburban with the exact same clunking problem that everyone is talking about. It has 112000 miles on it and I don't know if the upper shaft has been replaced or not blink.gif . Do you think I should replace it or just try to lube it up and hope that will fix it? Any advice would be helpful!
-ChevroletGuy

--------------------
- 04 K1500 Suburban
- 99 Cadillac Deville
- 93 Cadillac Sixty Special
- 92 C1500 Silverado 5.7

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 4 2005, 06:32 AM
Post #50

Needs a Life!

Welcome, ChevroletGuy. It depends on how much you are planning on spending. Replacing the shaft should make it much smoother, but it is costly. Lubing it is less costly, but also a temporary solution (probably last around 20k). How long have you had the vehicle? I would suspect that it had not been replaced with the latest revision from earlier this year.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
ChevroletGuy
post Oct 4 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #51

I bought it in about the middle of July and I nocticed the clunking as soon as I took it home. What is the life of these shafts? Are they suppossed to last as long as the vehicle does?

--------------------
- 04 K1500 Suburban
- 99 Cadillac Deville
- 92 C1500 Silverado 5.7

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 4 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #52

Needs a Life!

The shaft will last as long as the vehicle. The clunk is more of a nuisance than anything else.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
beach
post Oct 4 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 194

Our '04 Suburban would make a very loud pop/clunk when turned to lock and you'd then move forward (like you normally would when manuevering in or out of a spot), when only about a month or so old (bought it in June '04). Went on for a couple months, took it to the dealer--they said it was fine. I was at least expected them at that time to lube the shaft when we took it in, because when we mentioned a sort of clunk/rattle in the '02 Avalanche's steering, they lubed the shaft then, and it went away.

But then it went away on its own in the Suburban. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I got a call from my mother wanting to know what it was that they lubed when her Avalanche's steering was clunking, because that in her Suburban was now doing exactly the same thing. Told her, she called the dealer, asked about the problem and they basically said "Yes, we lube them when they do that". So, made an appointment for Thursday evening apparently, at which they're going to lube the shaft while she waits.

But, I still have a question--back when the Av's steering was clunking and the dealer was told and ended up lubing it, I never really heard about the steering shaft issue and didn't question it not being replaced. But now, with the Suburban, I do know full well about it, but am wondering why, after having problems twice, now just the clunking when turning again, why their common practice is still just to lube and not replace--any ideas? Does it seem, truthfully, that it's just about as worthwhile to lube them as to replace them anymore?

I only ask because our dealer, to this day, still seems to know very little of ever having replaced one for the problem, but is more than experienced in lubing them.

--------------------
IPB Image

'04 Suburban LS 2wd: All stock with 6-CD BOSE, cloth buckets, power pedals, Homelink, OWL tires, full roof rack, and locking rear differential.

The successor to the legendary '02 Avalanche 2wd Z66...

+Quote Post
ChevroletGuy
post Oct 4 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #54

How long after they lubed it the first time did it start clunking again for you?? I just lubed mine up today and it stopped clunking, should I expect it fairly soon to start up again? Or was it around 20,000 miles?

--------------------
- 04 K1500 Suburban
- 99 Cadillac Deville
- 92 C1500 Silverado 5.7

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 5 2005, 06:18 AM
Post #55

Needs a Life!

I originally did the write up on the lube back in Feb. 2003--some 25k miles ago and the clunk hasn't come back yet. Others have experienced having the clunk back anywhere from 5k-20k. I believe it is very dependent on how the shaft was lubed.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
chuckee98
post Oct 5 2005, 07:03 AM
Post #56

Bronze Member

Member No.: 677

Back when GM "discovered" that they had this problem, the fix was to lube the shaft. When they subsequently found out the the lube "fix" was only temporary, they then revised the shaft and made the replacement shaft the fix. Over time, it was discovered the the replacement shaft didn't really fix the problem, so they went back to lubing, and revised the shaft AGAIN. This has occurred over and over again. After multiple iterations of replacement intermediate shaft part numbers, the only constant is that the lube WORKS, but only for a period of time. That period of time is dependent only HOW diligent the technician is in terms of performing the lube (ensuring that the grease gets far enough past the splines when lubing), and probably the tolerances on the shaft itself or how worn it is (the larger the clearances or more worn it is, the quicker the looseness will reappear again).

Bottom line? Until GM finds a REAL fix to the problem, the only temporary cure is the lube. I think of it as regular maintenance now, much like greasing the zerks every oil change (what the hell is that? My Acura has sealed joints, and doesn't require ANY periodic greasing). If you can change your oil yourself then go through the lubing procedure yourself, and you'll find that it is very easy to do, and may actually take less time than the oil change. Plus, the lube kit costs less than an oil filter and the oil.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 5 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #57

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

You guys gave me an idea. While I haven't done this lube yet, I wonder If it would be possible to drill, tap, and install a zerk that can be lubed from time to time that might avoid the alternative. CG - Thoughts?

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 5 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #58

Needs a Life!

Nope. Not possible. Already answered 12 posts up. biggrin.gif