Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt
post Oct 30 2004, 09:51 AM
Post #22

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Well, I am about to have my steering fixed again for the third time. The first to were just re-lubes because the replace method hadn't been released yet. Hopefully after the part is replaced this time it will be all good. I will keep ya posted...

~Matt

--------------------
Gone but not forgotten...
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 Summit White, 5.3L
mods: Taylor Thundervolts Wires, vent visors, F@rd keys, BFG All Terrain TA ko, Manik Brush Guard, Hellwig front and rear sways, VHT flat black wheel paint

Replaced with 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser all stock

+Quote Post
carguru
post Nov 9 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #23

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 18

Just for everyone's info, the G revision of the TSB has been released. This states that the lube procedure should be done as a temporary fix until there are enough supply of the intermediate shaft. unsure.gif

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
beach
post Nov 11 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 194

Just talked to my mother on the phone and she made an appointment to take the Suburban in on Tuesday. Mainly just needs the clunking steering checked, along with the tires rotated (non-related maintenance). I told her about how common the clunking is, but she said the service guy sounded like he had never heard about it on the phone....they fixed it on our Avalanche though in March, so I guess we'll see.

--------------------
IPB Image

'04 Suburban LS 2wd: All stock with 6-CD BOSE, cloth buckets, power pedals, Homelink, OWL tires, full roof rack, and locking rear differential.

The successor to the legendary '02 Avalanche 2wd Z66...

+Quote Post
carguru
post Nov 12 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #25

Needs a Life!

Also just a piece of info. The TSB covers up to 2003 only. The 2004 and up suppose to carry the new improved design already.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
aspenman
post Nov 13 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 227

I contacted my local dealer in southern CA, they have had these new shafts on back order for 3 months and I guess 15,000 are currently on order. At least two months before they get them, price on shaft is $110.00, lube kit is $10.00. They guess I will give the lube job a try using this Thanks everyone on this forum for all the useful info!

+Quote Post
Robert L
post Nov 28 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 253

The 2004 models still have this problem, or mine does anyway. I have only 5500 miles and its doing exactly what every one is describing. I'm also reading on other forums that the problem wasn't corrected in 2004.

So, does anyone really know if the new shaft is actually different that whats in the 2004 models? I'll not comment on what I think about GM letting this problem go on for so many years.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Nov 29 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #28

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hi Robert,

Carguru really is the expert on this one, but I thought I heard that the 2004 are supposed to have the redesigned part.

I will say that I have not experienced this with my 2004. I do get that slight pulsation at full lock, that some people confuse as this problem, but I do not get that clunk through the steering wheel when absorbing road imprefections.

Hopefully, CG will respond soon with a confirmation.

Thanks and welcome!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
carguru
post Nov 29 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #29

Needs a Life!

Whew, I just got back from my trip. Just spent the last 12 hours on the road. blink.gif

Some early 2004 may not have gotten the latest shaft. Since the TSB discussing replacing the shaft was first issued in April of 2004, I suspect that the shafts were probably not released to production until January or February of 2004. I suspect that there are probably some 2004 models that have the old design shaft. The dealer can punch in your VIN number and probably tell you which shaft is in there. I would just take it back to them and have them replace the part anyways.

On a side note, I just took my 'rado in for a suspension clunk that felt a little like the steering shaft problem. I did check the truck out before I brought it in. It clunked every time the truck hit a bump. It turned out to be 2 problems. 1. The crappy red Tennecos were leaking. The dealer replaced the front ones with a set of Bilstiens biggrin.gif 2. One of my torsion bar keys had a fracture which in turn fractured the crossmember. These pieces are backordered, so I have to probably bring my truck back in later this week when they get the parts in. These were the reasons that I felt a dull thump in the steering.

Also FYI, the steering shaft clunk is not exclusive to GM and not exclusive to the trucks. Some of the other manufacturers (Ford, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota) have been having the same problem. It is due to the design of the shaft which is made to collapse in an crash. The same supplier designed this shaft and sells to many of the other car companies too. What has changed in the new design vs. the previous design are the play in the splines. The new design is made to fit tighter thus eliminating the clunking. Time will tell if this is truly the fix. Our 2004 Tahoe now has 10800 miles on it as of today. No clunk so far.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
stukesmd
post Feb 6 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 457

My dealer has had a new shaft on order for my '03 Suburban since 10-26-04 (no availability date yet they say). I am going to perform this procedure myself as temporary fix until the new part comes in. Are there any other steps involved with regards to the adjustable pedals?

--------------------
2007 Yukon Denali XL : Still on MOD probation

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 6 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #31

Needs a Life!

For the ones with adjustable pedals, the pedal assembly has to be removed to access the column. I haven't looked at how much difficulty there is for this yet. I do recall there was mention after installation, the scan tool must be connected to calibrate the gas pedal positions.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
stukesmd
post Feb 13 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 457

Found another discussion about this subject, but that only mentioned removing and replacing the screws holding the pedals to the bulkhead and tightening to 15 lb ft. Didn't mention recalibrating pedal positions. Thanks again.

Steve

--------------------
2007 Yukon Denali XL : Still on MOD probation

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 13 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #33

Needs a Life!

Probably will have to be very careful not to move things around.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Tex
post Aug 16 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,096

My 04 Sqeaks on left turns and at full lock it makes an electronic noise. I had the intermediate driveshaft issue on my 2000 Silverado. I do have a semi-early 2004, but we shall see if the dealer wants to tackle the issue.

I also have drivers side door slamming problems, A/C making an odd animal like breathing sound when its on and the radio buttons falling off. Call me anal but if you have any more information on that stuff man I would appreciate it.

--------------------
IPB Image
04 White Z71 Tahoe

+Quote Post
carguru
post Aug 16 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #35

Needs a Life!

The squeak could be a sign of a problem with your SIR coil. Door slaming problem could be that you need to have it re aligned. Could it possibly have been sprung in the accident? Doubtful, but worth a shot. Warranty would take care of this. Radio buttons should be a warranty item. A/C--what is happening when it makes the moan noise? Are you making any adjustments?

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 10 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #36

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

CarGuru - I'm new to this forum, but already I can see lot's of good info in here! Thanks for the write-up on the steering knock/clunk.

Gary P.

This post has been edited by Gary P: Sep 10 2005, 06:09 PM

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Sep 10 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #37

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 731

Welcome Aboard Gary!

--------------------

2017 Audi Q7 Presitge
2014 Corvette C7 Premier Edition, 434 of 500
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4, Beater....
2012 Lexus GX460, Sold 08/16
2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.(Sold 6/15)
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 10 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #38

Needs a Life!

Thanks for the welcome Eppiguy.... sure is alot of good info here.

I was just browsing around the forum when I saw the write-up from carguru on the knock in the steering. I have that in my '02 Silverado. That's when I decided to join.

The fix doesn't look too bad, but I am a little surprised that so many people have had the problem going back and forth to the dealers before a reliable fix was put in place by GM. Early next week I'll contact my local dealers parts dept (they're usually pretty good there smile.gif ) to see what they say about the availability of the shaft. Otherwise, looks like I'll be lubing it over and over.... bashing.gif

This post has been edited by Gary P: Sep 10 2005, 06:08 PM

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Sep 13 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #39

Needs a Life!

Good news! I got the shaft yesterday (no! not that way!!! laugh.gif )

I got my new intermediate steering shaft at my local dealer. He had plenty in stock (5 or 6 on the shelf). My parts guy said the part number has been constantly upgraded to new numbers, and the one I got is # 88965505. The list price was $92, and my cost was only $69.

The instructions that CarGuru posted for lubing were perfect for the removal and installation, and it went real smoothly. THANK YOU CARGURU!

In fact, I probably spent half as much time ensuring I would not screw up and blow off the air bags by accident, locking down the steering wheel so it wouldn't turn, and resetting the theftlock on the radio as I did with the actual removal and install of the new shaft. I think it took me a total of 40 minutes, and if I had to do another one, it would be more like 25 or 30 mins.

Thanks again! Gary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
carguru
post Sep 13 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #40

Needs a Life!

Glad you got it! Did you get the one with the rubber bushing?

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:50 PM