Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Led Issues, Back feeding power to the turn signal indicator lights
TexasVet
post Feb 11 2018, 06:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,517

2005 suburban Z71. Every light has been swapped to led besides the headlight, figs, brakes, and gauges. I how no resistors installed, and havenít installed my LM487 LED light module yet. I also have a fleece performance all on ďmoduleĒ circuit board installed.

Iíve noticed any time the key is in the no position and the lights are on, the turn signal dash indicator lights have a slight glow. This only started with the LED lights. Is this a grounding issue, or is there enough unused electricity in the system to slightly energize these lights? I got the replacement bulbs for free from work. And I really like them. Wanting to finish out the rest of the truck with them. I also noticed my 4 month old Duralast gold 160 amp alt is showing on the gauge to be charging at 15-16 volts approximately 2-5 mins after the headlights are turned on. No dimming of the lights or anything. This also started after I started to install the LED.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott
post Feb 12 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I'm having a hard time fully understanding your post, but I would suggest adding the resistors and see if that helps.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
TexasVet
post Feb 14 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #3

My alt quit on me and took the battery with it. So I installed new alt and battery. I do a lot of night driving so I ordered and installed the fleece performance ďall onĒ module (itís a mili circuit board that the DRL/highs/lows/fogs relays mount through and in to the factory locations, giving you ď6 high/4high/all onĒ front lighting capability. I then had one of my drl light bulbs go out. I was able to source LED replacement bulbs for all the turn signal bulbs, both DRL bulbs, parking light bulbs, reverse light bulbs, and the dome/cargo light bulbs. After I installed all the LED lights, it was/is hyper flashing. The LM478 is a replacement light control module that is LED compatable and is said to cure the hyper flashing. I have that part but have not installed it. The issue Iím having is; the turn signal indicator bulbs in the dash seem to be glowing when the panel lights are on. And intermittently my voltage gauge shows 15-16 volts.

Is it possible that some how there is some voltage back feeding in to the turn signal indicator lights in the dash to cause them to glow? Could the glow and the high voltage reading on the gauge be some how linked together? Could the glowing be a ground issue?

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 14 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

You made too many changes at once to be able to troubleshoot which is the culprit. I would suspect the all lights module being the problem. Hyper flash is due to the OEM circuit expecting some amount of resistance for the signals.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
TexasVet
post Feb 14 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #5

The all on module has been on for about a year. Battery and alt was replaced about 3-4 months ago. LEDs went in about 2-3 weeks ago.

+Quote Post
carguru
post Feb 15 2018, 06:42 AM
Post #6

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

LED are very low resistance. If a switching circuit is lousy. It could show back feed into the system. I can telll you from experience that the interior led all showed a slight glow with the vehicle off in our 2004. Never had an issue with the plate lights, DRL or reverse. And definitely not gremlins in the dash. We also didnít have the all lights on mod either. With that mod, if you have really cheap diodes in there, it could reverse bias and backfired into the systemóespecially if it were designed with bulb resistance to start with.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
TexasVet
post Feb 16 2018, 12:53 AM
Post #7

I really donít think the all on mod has anything to do with it. All was well before the LEDs were installed. To take that a step further, I only installed a set of LED bulbs at a time, ie; I did the front marker bulbs. Drove is for a day. No issues, so I then did the reverse lights. Drive around for a day. No issues. Did the front park/turn signals. No hyper flashing with the 4 ways on, hyper flash with turn signals, as expected. Drove around for a day. No unexpected issues. Installed the mirror/puddle lights and all interior lights. Drove around for a day. No issues.Installed the rear turn signal bulbs. Hyper flash with turn signals and 4 ways. Drove around for a day. Noticed the glow in the dash. Stopped installing led lights until I figure it out, for fear of jacking up my electrical system. Iíve got depo projectors here in the box, along with high/low, and fog light LEDs from superbrightleds.com. Also have full LED replacement third brake light assembly (Dorman) on the way. But want to make sure Iím not about to jack up stuff. I mentioned the voltage gauge spike and the battery/alt replacement to provide as much info about the health of my trucks electrical system as possible. And made mention of the all on mod to provide what modifications have been made as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd February 2018 - 06:35 AM