Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rear Mounted Winch Wiring, ground wiring
jipioneer07
post Oct 30 2017, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,596

So, we recently bought a house up in North Carolina, and have been traveling up on the weekends. The driveway is really steep and although the Tahoe can make it up fairly easily, the Suburban struggles up the hill. I'd been thinking about a trailer hitch winch setup for hunting and mud anyways, so this just solidifies that idea.

I have picked out the carrier and winch and done research, but my question is in regards to the wiring from the battery to the hitch.

I have 40 feet of 2 gauge welding wire, and 500 amp quick connects, but do I need to run both a ground and a positive wire from the battery to the winch? I've seen where some people run a wire from the battery to the frame in the front, and from the winch to the frame in the rear. This winch setup will be for two vehicles, so I'm trying to do this with the wire I already have. Couldn't I get away with just running a wire in the rear from the frame to a quick connect that can attach the the winch, so I will have a wire running from the battery to a quick connect in the rear, and a wire from the frame in the rear to a quick connect (on both vehicles). Then, I will have all the wiring setup on both vehicles, with quick connects on both vehicles, so that it will be an easy swap from vehicle to vehicle.

--------------------
2005 z71 Tahoe 4x4 Black - Leveled, Trail Grapplers, CB, LEDs/HIDs, & more
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Oct 30 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

In theory, you can do just a chassis ground at the rear. Just have to make sure that it makes really good contact with the frame and is large enough to handle the currents. Just keep in mind that if you do that, your chassis ground now becomes a potential bottle neck for the high current flow. Personally, I'd just do the dedicated ground back to the battery. That way, I'm sure there aren't any grounding issues (floats, loops, etc.). I would also install a disconnect switch at the battery to disconnect the positive line to the rear unless I absolutely needed it--but that is me.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
jipioneer07
post Oct 30 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,596

Thanks, great advice.

--------------------
2005 z71 Tahoe 4x4 Black - Leveled, Trail Grapplers, CB, LEDs/HIDs, & more

+Quote Post
wes761
post Oct 30 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Silver Member

Member No.: 6,371

I ran both to the rear on mine, inside wire loom on top of the drivers side frame rail. I keep mine disconnected from the battery until it's needed.... just to cut back on parasitic draw and the potential of causing a fire. I have top posts on my battery so it's easy to hook up when needed.... very rarely.

--------------------

keys & spacers

+Quote Post
HenryJ
post Nov 2 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,332

Mine is grounded to the frame on both ends.

Same set up I had on my last truck. Works great.

--------------------

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- BLT Offroad Avalanche

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Nov 3 2017, 04:25 AM
Post #6

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (HenryJ @ Nov 2 2017, 10:45 PM) *
Mine is grounded to the frame on both ends.

Same set up I had on my last truck. Works great.

HenryJ - I like the quick connect electrical connector you've used. We use them at work also, and call them SB175 or SB350 connectors. They work GREAT! thumbsup.png

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
HenryJ
post Nov 4 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gary P @ Nov 3 2017, 04:25 AM) *
... I like the quick connect electrical connector you've used. We use them at work also, and call them SB175 or SB350 connectors. They work GREAT! thumbsup.png

Thanks! They do work well. I have heard them called "Welder quick connects" and Anderson pole connectors. The Warn quick connectors have a plastic bar in the middle. With a little modification they work with these too.
I cut the end off a set of jumper cables and added one of these connectors. Easy to plug in to either end. Also plug them into the winch and use it on another vehicle, or the back of the trailer. Like I said...lots of options smile.gif

--------------------

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- BLT Offroad Avalanche

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Nov 6 2017, 05:12 AM
Post #8

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (HenryJ @ Nov 4 2017, 09:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Gary P @ Nov 3 2017, 04:25 AM) *
... I like the quick connect electrical connector you've used. We use them at work also, and call them SB175 or SB350 connectors. They work GREAT! thumbsup.png

Thanks! They do work well. I have heard them called "Welder quick connects" and Anderson pole connectors. The Warn quick connectors have a plastic bar in the middle. With a little modification they work with these too.
I cut the end off a set of jumper cables and added one of these connectors. Easy to plug in to either end. Also plug them into the winch and use it on another vehicle, or the back of the trailer. Like I said...lots of options smile.gif

thumbsup.png
There are several different 'styles' of these, and the different 'styles' and colors are to prevent different voltages from being connected incorrectly. For personal use, breaking off or modifying the little plastic bar is OK, but at work we have 12, 24, 36, and 48 volt electric fork trucks carts, and chargers so we don't modify them. Some of our newer battery chargers handle multi volts, but we still keep then plastic tabs in place so no one hooks up to the wrong charges.

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
HenryJ
post Nov 10 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gary P @ Nov 6 2017, 04:12 AM) *
There are several different 'styles' of these, and the different 'styles' and colors are to prevent different voltages from being connected incorrectly. For personal use, breaking off or modifying the little plastic bar is OK, but at work we have 12, 24, 36, and 48 volt electric fork trucks carts, and chargers so we don't modify them. Some of our newer battery chargers handle multi volts, but we still keep then plastic tabs in place so no one hooks up to the wrong charges.
Good information.
In this case WARN made the changes to theirs to maintain proprietary control over the connector parts. Both are 12 volt connectors.

I have experienced the difference in amperage requiring a different size of connector. This reduces the risk of an over loaded connector. I would imagine voltage differences could also be differentiated this way as well. The forklifts use a very large connector.

This post has been edited by HenryJ: Nov 10 2017, 11:31 AM

--------------------

- BLT Offroad Avalanche

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 02:21 AM