Reply to this topicStart new topic
New-to-me Obs
Simantic
post Jun 6 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 20,578

Well, I landed a construction job to get me through the summer months when school is out...and maybe longer if things work out. That meant I needed another truck though, so I could have something to haul my tools in (sport bike isn't the best choice for that) without leaving the family stranded all summer long. I was trying to trade my bike for a truck, but I swear I'm one of about 10 sport bike riders within 3-5 counties in my area! Anybody who has a truck wants a Harley. I must have messaged 20 people all interested in trading for a motorcycle...until they found out it was a sport bike. Well phooey on them all! I like it!

Anyway, a buddy of mine recently "upgraded" (downgrade in my mind) from a Suburban to a minivan. His wife loves the minivan, and he couldn't care much less about cars...automobiles...anything mechanical. He found out I needed a truck, and offered the Suburban to me for a paltry $800! It's a '95 C1500 LS with barn doors, only 158k miles, and less rust than my '05. Sweet deal! We scooped it up. He warned me it had a few issues, but I wasn't worried, and they turned out to be piddly. The exhaust was "broken" right after the cat, there was something wrong with a wire to the alternator so it didn't always charge and run right, the passenger window didn't work right, the A/C doesn't work, and the spare was flat from a constant leak; must be something in it. Turned out, the exhaust wasn't broke. Whatever bonehead put it on, put the u-bolt too far forward, missing the pipe itself. When they drove through a mini-flood last year, it just slipped out. It's welded up nice now. The alternator wire just turned out to be a loose connector that needed the contact bent back into shape, so it now charges and runs right with full power. The problem with the passenger window was because he had whacked the old-school huge chrome towing mirrors on a pole at the bank drive thru, denting in the door so that the window mechanism was catching. I was able to bump that back out so it works fine now. I haven't done any digging into the A/C yet, but since it's a work truck and the windows work now, I'm not worried about it. And the spare just turned out to be corrosion on the wheel around the valve stem. That's that!

It does still need a few things to make it more enjoyable, but I'll get to that. First thing is new shocks before I get seasick! The poor thing bounces 4 times after just one push of the bumper! I've also got to do some more exhaust repair. There's at least a couple broken manifold studs trying to give me carbon monoxide poisoning if I don't keep the windows cracked. Still, it's in excellent shape overall. $800 was a heck of a deal! My original plans were to eventually lift it, but when I found out it was 2WD I started thinking I might lower it instead. Then, I'd have a lifted NBS and a lowered OBS. That's awhile away, though, so we'll see.

I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll post some when I can. My buddy is a nice guy, but not to his vehicles. I spent 3 hours cleaning it out, and that was just large garbage, vacuuming, and putting things back together. I'm taking it to a detailer for the rest of the mess cuz I don't have that kind of time!

Anyway, as I'd like to learn more about this beast from some experienced people, can anyone recommend a decent forum for OBS? I know there's info here that will apply, but I'm looking for OBS specific help. For instance, everyone here raves about Bilstein 5100's as the best shock for a Z71 based on experience. I want some experienced opinions on the best choice for shocks for my OBS. Since you guys here are so great, I was hoping you might have a suggestion before I just go trying forums and getting frustrated.

--------------------
2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71

Keys, 2-in Spacers, 295/70R17 Hankook DynaPro AT-m, K&N CAI, BBP Tune
Building Bucky Burban
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 7 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Sounds like a steal!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Jun 7 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 731

Pictures Please. biggrin2.gif

--------------------

2017 Audi Q7 Presitge
2014 Corvette C7 Premier Edition, 434 of 500
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4, Beater....
2012 Lexus GX460, Sold 08/16
2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.(Sold 6/15)
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
Simantic
post Jun 8 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Here's one pic to hold you guys over. I just got it washed, and snapped a pic when I got home. I would have taken more, but my phone was about to die. I put new shocks on it today; just some cheap Monroe Gas-Matic shocks I got for $91 with a coupon at Advance. It's a 2WD work truck. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for Bilsteins on this when I haven't even put them on Bucky yet. It's pretty darn rusty underneath; huge flakes everywhere, so I was happy to only break one bolt on that job, lol.

I'll try to get some more (and better) pics tomorrow. I'm hoping to polish the headlights tomorrow in the Auto Body class. It still needs the interior detailed (stains everywhere), some new speakers (got a decent radio, but the speakers are all tore-up paper cone stockers), and more exhaust repair (broken manifold studs at both ends), but that's just minor stuff. I still got a heck of a deal on this truck! With tax, title, and repairs all included, I've only got about $1,150 into it, and it should last a long time...or make a decent trade in a year or two! Oh, and I'll be changing those big ugly mirrors very soon. I have no intention of pulling any wide loads, so I'm gonna find some used regular door mirrors asap.

--------------------

Building Bucky Burban

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Jun 9 2017, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (Simantic @ Jun 8 2017, 04:06 PM) *
Here's one pic to hold you guys over. I just got it washed, and snapped a pic when I got home. I would have taken more, but my phone was about to die. I put new shocks on it today; just some cheap Monroe Gas-Matic shocks I got for $91 with a coupon at Advance. It's a 2WD work truck. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for Bilsteins on this when I haven't even put them on Bucky yet. It's pretty darn rusty underneath; huge flakes everywhere, so I was happy to only break one bolt on that job, lol.

I'll try to get some more (and better) pics tomorrow. I'm hoping to polish the headlights tomorrow in the Auto Body class. It still needs the interior detailed (stains everywhere), some new speakers (got a decent radio, but the speakers are all tore-up paper cone stockers), and more exhaust repair (broken manifold studs at both ends), but that's just minor stuff. I still got a heck of a deal on this truck! With tax, title, and repairs all included, I've only got about $1,150 into it, and it should last a long time...or make a decent trade in a year or two! Oh, and I'll be changing those big ugly mirrors very soon. I have no intention of pulling any wide loads, so I'm gonna find some used regular door mirrors asap.

Pretty good looking OBS. thumbsup.png I know you said it's rusty underneath, but the body looks good in the photo.

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Simantic
post Jun 10 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Well, apparently Google is good for sharing photos with myself... The pics show up for me, but apparently that's it. Here, we'll try Flickr this time. I would just edit the other post, but it won't let me for some reason.

As promised, here's a whole boatload of more detailed photos:

Looks MUCH better with freshly polished headlights! The chrome really isn't quite as perfect as the picture looks, but pretty darn good anyway!

I'll be changing those big ugly towing mirrors out for some regular door mirrors ASAP. In fact, I may be picking up a whole parts truck just a few miles away for a measly $250 next week. Problem solved!

I will need to do something about the tires eventually. It's currently running on fairly new P235/75R15 generic tires. They're decent tires, but being P-rated, they're just too soft. Even with new shocks, it still rides a bit too squishy. I've got the tires set at about 38 psi (they say max 35), and I can still see scrub on the sidewalls where they're folding over too much when turning. I mean, they'll be alright, and I can run them like that, but I'm not comfortable with it. They're in good enough shape I should have no trouble selling them if I come up with another option soon.

You can just see in this pic that the top of the right barn door is tweaked out a bit. The hinge pin on the left barn door is a bit worn. As a result, it leans just enough that the top latch doesn't catch unless you shut it hard. The extremely non-mechanical PO (friend of mine) didn't realize that he was never getting the door shut all the way. Since it wasn't shut right and was leaning, the right door couldn't shut right, and was actually being pushed out a bit at the top for so long it's a bit sprung. I found going through a car wash that it doesn't quite seal right. Haven't decided how to tackle that fix yet. I can't just pull on it to bend it without risking breaking the back glass or tweaking the hinges. We'll see. It's not too bad for now.

The rear bumper is pretty much shot. It doesn't look awful in this pic, but it's nothing but rust underneath the plastic, especially in the middle; it flexes like plastic until resting on the hitch when stepped on.

There's some dent damage on the R/F door. The PO got those huge towing mirrors too close to a bank drive thru and dented it in. I had to take the door panel off and bang it back out so the window mechanism would clear the nuts for the mirror to open and close the window.

The bottom of the R/F door is rusted right out, but it's the only door that is that I know of.

A little paint flake on the R/F fender

LOTS of stains, but other than that, the interior is in excellent condition for a 22yo truck that's been through at least 3 families that I know of. A friend of mine runs a detailing business. He should be able to clean it all up nice.

Weird front seat setup: solid bench (fold down middle armrest) with mechanical slide, mechanical tilt, and power lumbar.

Check out the brilliant custom cup holder on the floor in front of the front seat. That's a PVC pipe screwed onto a PVC clean out cap screwed onto the floor. Fits a 44oz Slurpee nicely! I'll probably paint it grey soon so it at least blends in.

It's even removable for easy cleaning!

There was a couple more "custom" cup holders on the dashboard. In the little inset above the glove box, Chevy put these sorry little circles that are too shallow to be of any use as cup holders. When I got the truck, there was a piece of PVC glued on top of each one so they could actually hold something. It was a brilliant idea! They were ugly, though, and since I don't expect to have any need for them, I peeled them off easily.

Looks like I better clean up those decent rockers while they're still decent.

Basic Pioneer aftermarket radio with aux and USB input. Truck needs new speakers pretty badly, though. That's on the to-do list.

To be continued...

This post has been edited by Simantic: Jun 10 2017, 07:55 PM

--------------------

Building Bucky Burban

+Quote Post
Simantic
post Jun 10 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Continued...

With only 158,797 miles since 1995, this Burban's had a pretty easy life. That's an average of only about 7,200 miles per year. It should take care of us for a long time yet.

The third row seat is there and in good shape. I'll probably remove it for more space to haul things since this is gonna be my work truck, but I'll keep it for when it's needed.

We're hoping to have the Auto Body class at the Tech Center I currently work at fix Bucky all up for us next year (rust repair and fresh paint). This Burban will serve as our family vehicle then to give the students a couple months to take their time and do it right.

The spare is a bit too big at the moment. It's a 265, and the truck only has 235's on it right now, so it doesn't match and doesn't really fit inside the cover. Not sure what I'm going to do about the tires right now though, so it'll have to wait. If I need it, I'll just be sure it goes on the front to limp me home. There's plenty of room for my toolbox in there though, and you'd be surprised how many tools I can fit in that compact rolling box. There's even a full set of rechargeable power tools in the bottom.

It's just your basic 5.7L / 350cid TBI Chevy V8 under the hood. Nothing fancy, but strong, reliable, and easy to work on. Less leaks than my 10-year-younger 5.3, too!

The A/C doesn't work, and I think it may have something to do with those cut off hoses for the rear A/C system (the supply lines are plugged, but the plugs probably leaked the freon out). I may fix it sometime...but probably not, lol. The battery is a cheapy, but it seems to do the job. I dismantled the connections, cleaned them thoroughly, applied dielectric grease everywhere, and then sprayed the top with rubberized undercoating for good corrosion protection.

All in all, including buying it, title transfer, registration, and a few repairs, I've got less than $1,200 into it. That's a God-blessed good deal! I'm happy! And to add to it, I'm going to pick up another '95 Suburban for $250 Monday after work! Found it on a FB sale site just about 30 miles from me. She had it listed for parts, so I contacted her for the mirrors and a few interior pieces (got a few rattles from broken clips behind a couple of panels). She really wanted the truck out of her yard, so I offered her $250 and she accepted! Not sure why she's getting rid of it other than they've already replaced it. She said the battery won't stay charged, but it runs with a jump, and I'll be able to drive it up on the trailer to load it up. It's more rusty than this one for sure, but it has the parts I want, and I've already contacted 2 scrap yards that said they'll still give me $265 for it even if I keep the engine for myself. I may just fix it and sell it for a grand or so, though. I think it's 4WD, so I have contemplated a body swap, too. We'll see.

This post has been edited by Simantic: Jun 10 2017, 08:08 PM

--------------------

Building Bucky Burban

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 12 2017, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

thumbsup.png

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Jun 13 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #9

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 1,460

Pretty darn good for it's age, plus, a CUSTOM cup holder! notworthy.gif

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 09:07 PM