3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tahoe Suburban Fog Lights with High Beams Mod
kbnana5
post Oct 1 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,031

I did the high/fogs mod on my '00 Silverado this past week. It works, and I like the additional light when my high beams are activated.

But ... Now the fogs come on with the low beams and I cannot cut them off. The fogs switch will only cut them on/off with the parking lights. Is this what the mod is supposed to do, or did I do something wrong ?
I don't really want the fogs to fire automatically when the low beams come on. I only want the fogs on with the low beams when it's actually foggy or raining (and I intend to add a pair of driving lights to use when it's not foggy/rainy).

Here's how I have things wired now:
Relay terminal 30 - to t-tap on purple wire of fog lights (black wire not used)
Relay terminal 85 - grounded with mounting screw for relay (on firewall)
Relay terminal 86 - to t-tap on orange wire of high beam (yellow wire not used)
Relay terminal 87 - thru 30 amp in-line fuse to + power in battery junction box

Not that I would think it'd make any difference, but I decided to tap into the lights on the passenger side instead of on the driver's side, 'cause there's what I thought was the perfect place to mount the relays on that side - to the firewall just below the corner brace. I could also run the wires, through a loom, along the fender behind the coolant overflow tank and air filter box. In short, it's less crowded on that side.

Anyway, if the high/fogs mod is not intended to fire the fogs with the low beams too, can someone point me to where I screwed it up ?

Thanks.

-Doug.

--------------------
D. Phillips
'00 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS
'10 Volkswagen Jetta TDi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bowtiextreme
post Jan 8 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1,026

where did you all get the relays? I can't seem to find them around at the local parts places

+Quote Post
bebe1109
post Mar 1 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 4,429

thanks

+Quote Post
homerhriss
post Mar 6 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,213

How come no one does the Diode method discussed at http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/category/2/84/25/. You are able to utilize the already installed relays.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Mar 7 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #45

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Actually, the diode system will work just fine, if done correctly. The problem exists that we've had umpteen reports of folks making wrong connections, the connections coming free, shorts, etc. I've seen some pics from some pretty crude jobs from folks asking for my help, and it makes you cringe.

Furthermore, if the vehicle is under warranty, and a tech sees such a mod in the fuse box, you can bet they will immediately black flag any future electrical claims. If you go the relay route, it's easily hidden and with inline fuses, much safer. If they do happen to see the auxillary relay and wiring, there is much less of a chance they will go haywire on you.

As a result, it's been safer for us to recommend the hard wiring route. However, if someone was determined to go the diode route, I would recommend doing it on the back side of the fusebox and hard wire and fully seal and shrink wrap the entire job. That will result in a clean, secure, and stealth mod.

My .02 fwiw.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
96superflow
post Mar 10 2014, 09:55 AM
Post #46

Bronze Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 17,455

Bumping up an old thread.

2001 Tahoe LT. I want to do this to basically get my fog light switch to have full access. As in When I push the fog light button, it turns on whatever lights I have hooked into it and they stay on, kinda like on its own circuit. I am planning on doing some sort of driving light/ fog light and mounting them lower on the ranch hand, but then also adding some spot lamps to the center to give me some long distance stuff when I am driving some back roads late in the night. Those will be a different question cause I also want full access on a switch, but I want them to turn off when I click off the high beams (don't want to have to be flipping 2 switches so that I am not blinding another vehicle) and yes I know what the law says about how many forward facing lights you can have on at one time.

Any body got a clue? I am ok with wiring up things separately but getting all these to work correctly w/o causing some electrical issues would not be my cup of tea....

--------------------
2003 Suburban 2500 8.1l/4l85...BBP tune
2001 Tahoe LT 5.3/4l60e Vette servo & lengthen pin, Corsa Sport, Spectre CAI, Lift keys, GMT 900 Rear Springs and 1.5" spring spacers, Bilstein 5100s, 4 Hi, 6000K Low Beams, Depo Black Projectors, 265/75/16 Cooper ATPs, Hummer H3's, Weather Tech mats throughout, Ranch Hand Legend Front Bumper (Wrecked 9/15/2016...Rebuild possible...)
1996 S10 blazer SAS d30/8.8,4.10s, SUA Sky's Offroad Design Kit, Rancho 44044 springs,SOA Rearw/ Pro Comp AAL, RC 14" travel Shocks, 2"body lift, 33" tsl's
1997 Commuter Civic As stock as it can be...

+Quote Post
nmathews
post Mar 10 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 16,191

QUOTE (96superflow @ Mar 10 2014, 10:55 AM) *
Bumping up an old thread.

2001 Tahoe LT. I want to do this to basically get my fog light switch to have full access. As in When I push the fog light button, it turns on whatever lights I have hooked into it and they stay on, kinda like on its own circuit. I am planning on doing some sort of driving light/ fog light and mounting them lower on the ranch hand, but then also adding some spot lamps to the center to give me some long distance stuff when I am driving some back roads late in the night. Those will be a different question cause I also want full access on a switch, but I want them to turn off when I click off the high beams (don't want to have to be flipping 2 switches so that I am not blinding another vehicle) and yes I know what the law says about how many forward facing lights you can have on at one time.

Any body got a clue? I am ok with wiring up things separately but getting all these to work correctly w/o causing some electrical issues would not be my cup of tea....

You could use relays and tap into the fog lights to engage the spot lamps with the fog button. The only thing is you will have the fogs on with the spot lamps as well and will function as normal with the high beams.

--------------------
2002 LT Burb
Flowmaster Original 40 Series | 2 JL W3V3 Subs w/ JL 500/1 Amp | Midland 1001z CB Radio | Firestik II 4' Tuneable Antenna | 5% Window Tint | Stock Intake Mod | K&N Filter | Led Tails | Depo Projectors | 5K 35W HIDs | LED Bumper Lights | Matte Black MB wheels | BFG AT 265/75r16 | BlackBear Tune 91 Octane | Vette Servo | Go Rhino Push Bar | Led Light Conversion | Amp Bypass Harness | Back-Up Camera
GARAGE

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 01:58 PM