Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tahoe Suburban Fog Lights with High Beams Mod
mtaylor
post Apr 23 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 662

Just a head's up to everyone, after reading over this thread, the law in Texas (and I know for a fact in a few other states) mandates there can be no more than four white lights turned on, on the front of the vehicle while in motion. i.e. this why low beam, high beam, and fog light combinations aren't set in place from the factory.

There's a Texas statute about this for sure. As for if you'd really get a ticket, I'd say it depends on the police officer and really what his pet peeves are - but just a word of warning to be careful. i'd hate to see anyone get a ticket and have to fix the wiring involved.

-Matt

--------------------
2002 Tahoe Z71
Memory, heated seats, sunroof, every option package
265 / 75 / r17 Michelin LTX / MS
Hypertech Power Programmer III
UPD Intake w/ K&N drop-in filter
Cranked torsion bars
Some more stuff...check out the car and all mods in My Garage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott
post Apr 23 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #22

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hi Matt,

Actually, if you read some of the other threads pertaining to lighting mods, I always plan the mod to have the additional lights fire with the high beams. In this manner, knowing that you really should revert to the Low Beams whenever anyone is in view of your front lighting anyway, if you leave Low Beam mode totally legal, then you have nothing to worry about.

So in other words, if you're offroad, or tooling along the highway by yourself, having the All on Mod, or just the Fogs with the High Beams to totally fine. Just be quick to go back to the Low Beams when you see another driver, as you should do anyway.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
mtaylor
post Apr 24 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 662

Right, I understood all that, just wanted to share the info with any of our less-informed users the legalities of it, in case any were unaware.

Thanks for the clarification Scott! wink.gif

-Matt

--------------------
2002 Tahoe Z71
Memory, heated seats, sunroof, every option package
265 / 75 / r17 Michelin LTX / MS
Hypertech Power Programmer III
UPD Intake w/ K&N drop-in filter
Cranked torsion bars
Some more stuff...check out the car and all mods in My Garage

+Quote Post
Scott
post Apr 24 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #24

Needs a Life!

Thanks for bringing that good point up!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
m_specs
post Jun 12 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,814

just reviewd these instructions, and im going to attempt the foglights with low beams, but im curious where if im suppose to find these terminals to splice into.

thanks

--------------------
IPB Image
06'Tahoe Z-71_4x4. procomp1079_18"Rims. 33".Nitto.TerraGrapplers. RCD_lift. Gibson_exhaust. AFE_intake. Airaid_MIT. HID_headlights/foglights. Pioneer_AVIC-Z1. JL_stealth.sub. JL_500/1.amp. efiLIVE.custom.tune. Tint. Husky_liners. Reverse Sensors. Reverse Flood Lights. Reverse Camera.

+Quote Post
ccoder32
post Jun 12 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #26

Silver Member

Member No.: 390

I just check the mod document, the terminal they refer to is the terminal on the relay (in the parts list) -

--------------------
Lots of mods -
Garage Photos

[this space for rent]

+Quote Post
Z-Factor
post Jul 17 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #27

Bronze Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,936

QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 12 2004, 12:12 AM)
This mod will allow the fog lights to stay on when the high beams are engaged, while retaining normal operation.

So did you ever list any pictures with your mod? Also is this the one that does everything your current light set up does?

Did you upgrade any of your lights, or are you running stock bulbs all the way around?

EDIT_ This is strange because I thought I was in the FAQ section when I posted this reply huh.gif

This post has been edited by Z-Factor: Jul 17 2006, 03:12 PM

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 17 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #28

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (Z-Factor @ Jul 17 2006, 04:07 PM)
So did you ever list any pictures with your mod? Also is this the one that does everything your current light set up does?

Did you upgrade any of your lights, or are you running stock bulbs all the way around?

EDIT_ This is strange because I thought I was in the FAQ section when I posted this reply huh.gif

Yep, here's a thread with pics: http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=193

I'm running high output LB/HB's, 3457 DRL's and 885 Fogs. It's plenty bright.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
m_specs
post Jul 17 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

cool.. i wouldnt be interested in the highbeams, but im definitly interested in having the foglights light up with the headlights... and you disable this mod, or are you stuck with the fogs turning on everytime the headlights come on?

--------------------
IPB Image
06'Tahoe Z-71_4x4. procomp1079_18"Rims. 33".Nitto.TerraGrapplers. RCD_lift. Gibson_exhaust. AFE_intake. Airaid_MIT. HID_headlights/foglights. Pioneer_AVIC-Z1. JL_stealth.sub. JL_500/1.amp. efiLIVE.custom.tune. Tint. Husky_liners. Reverse Sensors. Reverse Flood Lights. Reverse Camera.

+Quote Post
Z-Factor
post Jul 17 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #30

Bronze Member

QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 17 2006, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (Z-Factor @ Jul 17 2006, 04:07 PM)

Yep, here's a thread with pics: http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=193

I'm running high output LB/HB's, 3457 DRL's and 885 Fogs. It's plenty bright.

Mind sharing what brand of bulbs and wattage with us? I need to replace one of my burned out DRL's so I may as well upgrade to the ones you are using now.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 18 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #31

Needs a Life!

The 3457LL's are Sylvania's. You can get them just about anywhere for $3-$4. They should last around 6 months.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 18 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #32

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (m_specs @ Jul 17 2006, 05:40 PM)
cool.. i wouldnt be interested in the highbeams, but im definitly interested in having the foglights light up with the headlights... and you disable this mod, or are you stuck with the fogs turning on everytime the headlights come on?

In the present form, yes. However, you can easily add a switch to the +coil source to override this.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Z-Factor
post Jul 18 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #33

Bronze Member

QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 18 2006, 10:38 AM)
The 3457LL's are Sylvania's. You can get them just about anywhere for $3-$4. They should last around 6 months.

I hope you don't mind all the questions but you seem like a well informed person to ask. That combined with your willingness to answer is greatly appreciated. notworthy.gif

Is 6 months about what our standard bulbs get since I constantly see a bulb out in most of the DRL's on Chevy/GMC trucks?

I assume the Sylvania's put out more light than the stock bulbs?

I have Silverstars (SP?) in the other Sub for the headlights. I don't think mine come with a higher wattage, but they seem brighter. Are you running higher wattage in any of the other lights such as the fogs or high/low beams?

If I am not mistaken, I put halogen or high watt back up bulbs in the 95 sub, so I wonder if they will fit in my 2001?

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 18 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #34

Needs a Life!

Is 6 months about what our standard bulbs get since I constantly see a bulb out in most of the DRL's on Chevy/GMC trucks?

The 4114k's were released with a higher estimated life to help with this problem.
I assume the Sylvania's put out more light than the stock bulbs?

The mfr has nothing to do with it. Each bulb number has a different spec. The 3457 is a 28.5w 40cp 800 hr bulb. Compared to the 4114K which is longer life, but is only 22w and 32cp. So yes, the 3457LL's are brighter.
[QUOTE]The Silverstars are approx 5w higher in oder to overcome the diminished output after the blue tint. The output is the same as stock, but different color. The result is fairly subjective.

I run 885 fogs which are 50w and just under twice as bright as the stockers. I also have ran 100w / 80w HB/LB's, but not currently.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Z-Factor
post Jul 19 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #35

Bronze Member

QUOTE (Scott @ Jul 18 2006, 03:17 PM)
  I also have ran 100w / 80w HB/LB's, but not currently.

Is it because all of them on at the same time would be too much of a drain on the electrical system?

Also, where do you get all these high watt bulbs because my local Autozone does not carry them all. Any inexpensive source you know of?

I also meant to ask if the automatic light system still worked with the lights rewired, or do you need to do it manually?

This post has been edited by Z-Factor: Jul 19 2006, 10:22 AM

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jul 19 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #36

Needs a Life!

The std bulbs can be bought anywhere. The high wattage "offroad" bulbs can be found online at various retailers. I've used JC Whitney with good results.

I haven't stopped using the high wattage bulbs for any particular reason other than I've been to busy (lazy) to order some more. The electrical system can easily handle the load. 100w is nothing.

Lastly, yes, the auto system still works like stock.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
m_specs
post Jul 19 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

if you go with HIDs, they run at 35w vs. the stock 55w. dont quote me on that though.

(at least the HIDs that i run)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Z-Factor
post Aug 5 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #38

Bronze Member

QUOTE (m_specs @ Jul 19 2006, 01:24 PM)
if you go with HIDs, they run at 35w vs. the stock 55w.  dont quote me on that though.

(at least the HIDs that i run)

Do HID's without the entire system work well on our older models?

I've also heard about mixed results regarding LED's where some people swear by them, while others do not.

http://stores.ebay.com/Automotive-Lighting-Strobes

This post has been edited by Z-Factor: Aug 5 2006, 11:24 AM

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Aug 5 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #39

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 731

I love my HID's for low beams in the facotry housing ajnd I have PIAA super whites for my high beams.

--------------------

2017 Audi Q7 Presitge
2014 Corvette C7 Premier Edition, 434 of 500
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4, Beater....
2012 Lexus GX460, Sold 08/16
2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.(Sold 6/15)
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
Z-Factor
post Aug 12 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #40

Bronze Member

QUOTE (eppieguy @ Aug 5 2006, 01:50 PM)
I love my HID's for low beams in the facotry housing ajnd I have PIAA super whites for my high beams.

Has anyone tested or seen a comparison chart for which actually produces more light?

I found these on the web taking about off-road applications;

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...ewflag-1#review

http://www.performanceproducts4trucks.com/...Headlight+Bulbs

I am considering the 55/100 watt version so my low beams do not blind other drivers, but I'd consider going the HID bulb route if they were much better and did not cost an arm and a leg.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 03:50 PM