Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
02 Suburban Speakers
PtownBubba
post Jan 9 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,984

I replaced the oem radio with an aftermarket radio, to get more features. Got it working ok, using it with factory amp,, no problems. Now need to replace the rattling-fuzzy speakers. I got [4[ 6.5" aftermarket speakers, suppose to fit,,, but not sure ?? I have not removed the door panels yet, wanted to make sure I had all I needed to install new speakers, before taking front and rear door panels off. I also got the wiring adapters so there is no cutting or soldering. Now will these speakers install in oem speakers holes in door without cutting or grinding ??? I got some speaker adapters, that snap in like the oem speakers,,,, but it seems these snap in adapters, are not for 6.5 speakers,,,, they do not seat right onto speakers.

So,, my questions is, has anyone ever replaced front and rear door oem speakers on an 02 Burb, with aftermarket 6.5 speakers ? Will they fit, with maybe just drilling some mount holes ??

This post has been edited by PtownBubba: Jan 9 2018, 08:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 9 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #2

So, to update my deal,,,,, the speaker adapters I have are American International #GMSB345,, says it is for my Burb,, and 6.5 speakers,,,,, problem is,,, these adapters have the center opening of 5 1/8 in. ,,, my speakers need a 5 1/2 in. opening,,,,,, so,, these adapters will probably fit in the Burbs door,, but the 6.5-s I have are too big to fit into adapters,,,,,must be other 6.5-s are a tad smaller in diameter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so,,, hopefully,,,,, the speakers I have will fit in the door speaker hole,,, and can be screwed right to door,,, without any adapters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ???

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Jan 10 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #3

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 731

I'm sure you can fab up something to make them work, I've used self tapping screws in the past to screw them to the sheet metal on the doors, just make sure you have nothing on the other side and they won't hit the glass. Also make sure you're speakers will work properly with the Bose amp.

--------------------

2017 Audi Q7 Presitge
2014 Corvette C7 Premier Edition, 434 of 500
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4, Beater....
2012 Lexus GX460, Sold 08/16
2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.(Sold 6/15)
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 10 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (eppieguy @ Jan 10 2018, 08:25 AM) *
I'm sure you can fab up something to make them worke, I've used self tapping screws in the past to screw them to the sheet metal on the doors, just make sure you have nothing on the other side and they won't hit the glass. Also make sure you're speakers will work properly with the Bose amp.

Thanks for the reply,,,, does having the amp behind glove box mean I have a Bose system ? No where do I see any Bose tags or emblems, it does have 6 speakers and a woofer in the left rear. Is there a Vin code for Bose ? New speakers are 4 ohm,,, the aftermarket radio seems to work fine with oem amp,,The oem radio is a DELCO 15071234,, so I guess I am to the point of removing door panels and hammering in the speakers,,,,, front speakers are bad,,, rattle/and fuzzy,,,, they were that way with oem radio,, that was the reason for this project.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jan 11 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (PtownBubba @ Jan 10 2018, 10:50 AM) *
I'm sure you can fab up something to make them worke, I've used self tapping screws in the past to screw them to the sheet metal on the doors, just make sure you have nothing on the other side and they won't hit the glass. Also make sure you're speakers will work properly with the Bose amp.

Thanks for the reply,,,, does having the amp behind glove box mean I have a Bose system ? No where do I see any Bose tags or emblems, it does have 6 speakers and a woofer in the left rear. Is there a Vin code for Bose ? New speakers are 4 ohm,,, the aftermarket radio seems to work fine with oem amp,,The oem radio is a DELCO 15071234,, so I guess I am to the point of removing door panels and hammering in the speakers,,,,, front speakers are bad,,, rattle/and fuzzy,,,, they were that way with oem radio,, that was the reason for this project.

What year is the vehicle - Sorry if I missed that? If the grills don't say Bose, and the amp isn't in the center console with the sub, it's not a Bose system. In that case, you are pretty much wide open on what you use. I would suggest using the Crutchfield look up tool for guidance on speaker ohm and sizes that are relatively plug and play. Once you identify the recommendations, then you can shop anywhere.

I will mention that on my Vette, although it does have the Bose system, I was able to make a rather drastic improvement in the sound by simply changing the midrange with aftermarket Coax speakers and keeping the stock Bose door subs, with the stock HU. I was actually shocked how well it sounds and cancelled the earlier plans to add a separate stealth box and amp.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
eppieguy
post Jan 11 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 731

QUOTE (Scott @ Jan 11 2018, 12:17 PM) *
QUOTE (PtownBubba @ Jan 10 2018, 10:50 AM) *

What year is the vehicle - Sorry if I missed that? If the grills don't say Bose, and the amp isn't in the center console with the sub, it's not a Bose system. In that case, you are pretty much wide open on what you use. I would suggest using the Crutchfield look up tool for guidance on speaker ohm and sizes that are relatively plug and play. Once you identify the recommendations, then you can shop anywhere.

I will mention that on my Vette, although it does have the Bose system, I was able to make a rather drastic improvement in the sound by simply changing the midrange with aftermarket Coax speakers and keeping the stock Bose door subs, with the stock HU. I was actually shocked how well it sounds and cancelled the earlier plans to add a separate stealth box and amp.

02 Suburban

--------------------

2017 Audi Q7 Presitge
2014 Corvette C7 Premier Edition, 434 of 500
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4, Beater....
2012 Lexus GX460, Sold 08/16
2009 Corvette Coupe Painted Door Handles, Painted License Plate Frame, Front License plate custom lower mount, Nav. override switch, Fender screens, Z06 Painted 3rd. brake light custom leather padded console cover, customs floor mats. customs Carbon Fiber shift knob. ZR1 Repo Chrome wheels.(Sold 6/15)
2009 Tahoe Z71 6000K HID's & Fogs, PIAA High Beam Bulbs, Amber DRL's, Tint, BlackBear Tune, Bilstein 5100 Struts,1.5" rear spacers, Hellwig Sways. (Sold 07/12)
2004 Tahoe Z71 Too many Mods to list, check the garage (SOLD 03/09) Was a sad day.
I DON'T MIND GOING TO WORK BUT THAT 8 HOUR WAIT TO GO HOME SUCKS!!!

Go ahead and buy your Prius, I WANT YOUR GAS!

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 12 2018, 05:57 AM
Post #7

2002 Suburban; The GMSB345 adapters may very well fit into the speaker installation holes,, but like I said,,,, the 6.5" speakers I have, are too big a-round to fit into the adapters,,,,,[ speakers were a gift from my son, and they were listed as fitting a 2002 Burb. ] so,, hopefully I can screw mount the speakers directly in the speaker holes in door,,,,,that is my plan at this point,,,,, instead of buying smaller speakers,,,, my Burb has different looking rear speaker grills than a 99, this guy replaced his rear speakers, without removing door panels,,,,and used the same speakers I am,,,,removing door panels is not horrible,,, just a lil' more effort required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4642QG3XEbo

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 12 2018, 06:46 AM
Post #8

Attached File  Boss_Speaker_fit.jpg ( 215.72K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jan 12 2018, 08:54 AM
Post #9

Needs a Life!

Let us know how it works. I just ran your '02 Burb in the Crutchfield 'Outfit you Car' app, and they are showing direct install with their recommended speakers without adaptors. Again, it's a great resource to take a look at:

https://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 12 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #10

Yes,, that would have been the way to go,,,,, but my son got me the radio and speakers as a gift,,,, and the info with those said they would fit,,, and they may fit fine,,, just cannot use adapters,,,,just weld them in,,,,,so, maybe next week I will start pulling off door panels,,,,, see what the deal is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THANK -YOU all for the interest and help,,,,, will follow-up here if I come to a happy ending,,,,

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 16 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Update: 2002 1500 Suburban Speaker job: Front Speakers installed. 6.5 inch Boss Speakers. The aftermarket GMSB345 [has 5 1/8 opening for speakers ] speaker adapters will not work with Boss 6.5 inch speakers, [need 5 1/2 opening ] they may work for other brand 6.5 inchers, or smaller speakers. The speaker mount hole in door is just fine,,, and,, you can use the oem snap in speakers as a template to drill mounting holes, the oem-s are held in the door speaker hole by the oem snap-in bracket,,,, but the speakers themselves have 4 holes around the perimeter that matched my new speakers,,, so,, no measuring or marking mount holes,,,the oem speakers are a perfect template,,, just drill the holes, then remove oem speakers. Also on the oem speakers, there was a foam ring on the backside of speaker,,, sorta' goop-ed on,,, but I could peel off that foam ring, and I put it on new speakers. This is the front door [s] install,,,, will do rear doors in a day or two,,,,, sounds good,,,,, the old RF speaker was blown out,,,, Thanks for all the tips,,,,

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Jan 17 2018, 04:53 AM
Post #12

Needs a Life!

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 1,460

Good to hear. thumbsup.png It's amazing how just 1 bad speaker can ruin the sound quality.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jan 17 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Needs a Life!

Awesome!

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
PtownBubba
post Jan 17 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #14

Replaced the rear speakers,, not a bad job,,, second door went a lot faster,,,, speakers really just screwed into existing bracket,,,,,, the rears were blown out,,,, it is amazing they even made any noise at all,,,,, so now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I went to to rear woofer,, it is rattelin' also,,,, so will search for a rear woofer,,, hopefully I can get a size chart,,, to see what size to get,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there are a couple tweeters I guess,,,, on either side of the rear hatch,,,, they sound ok,,, but really have not listened that close,,,,so one more speaker to do,,,,,

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 11:54 PM