Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rear Quarter Panel Damage, Time to learn some body repair skills
acanfield
post Jul 26 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,411

Well hey all--I think this is my first visit to this sub-forum.

Someone scraped and dented the left rear quarter-panel on our faithful Suburban. Other than some scrapes on the front bumper I was proud that the body was original and the paint is good.

Attached File  Suburban_left_rear_dent_SMALL.jpg ( 117.65K ) Number of downloads: 3

They obviously got into it good since it scraped to the metal then dented the panel. It happened at work, but I haven't been able to track down the culprit.

What do you all think this would run at a body shop? $100? $200? I imagine they have a minimum amount to even make it worth their while.

Since it's isolated to the lower portion of the panel I was thinking I might be able to hammer, sand, bondo, and paint the section myself. Any suggestions or quick pointers?

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carguru
post Jul 26 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Needs a Life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 18

Good body shop will likely run $500-600. That is a lot of manual labor in that creased sheet metal. Try to get a painless dent repair guy to look at it. It may not fully straighten out, but they might be able to do a miracle on the cheap. Even if they don't take out all the creases, you will have a much better starting point with minimal filler.

--------------------
DC

+Quote Post
acanfield
post Jul 26 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,411

QUOTE (carguru @ Jul 26 2017, 05:17 PM) *
Good body shop will likely run $500-600. That is a lot of manual labor in that creased sheet metal. Try to get a painless dent repair guy to look at it. It may not fully straighten out, but they might be able to do a miracle on the cheap. Even if they don't take out all the creases, you will have a much better starting point with minimal filler.

Thanks for the solid feedback. I figured it wasn't as simple as I hoped.

This only reinforces the aggravation factor, but I have to remind myself there is a reason I drive my clean "older" used cars. If this was a new Suburban I'd be really bent.

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

+Quote Post
jipioneer07
post Sep 15 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,596

The bottom part of the quarter panel is really thick. I had worse damage from jackknifing a trailer but in the same spot, took it to a trusted local guy who charged me $500 cash out the door. He even popped the door dings out for me. Since my Tahoe is 14ish years old I didn't think it would be worth it to go to a bigger shop that was notoriously more expensive because they mostly do insurance claims.

--------------------
2005 z71 Tahoe 4x4 Black - Leveled, Trail Grapplers, CB, LEDs/HIDs, & more

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 06:51 AM