2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tapatalk?
HenryJ
post Oct 14 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,332

Why does Tapatalk charge you for the Android app? It was a free app for the Ipod. I enabled it for my forums, but have half a mind to delete it since they want to charge me for it.

--------------------

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- BLT Offroad Avalanche
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 14 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #22

Needs a Life!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (01Zhoe @ Oct 14 2012, 02:26 PM) *
Any eta for this? Or a guesstimate

I thought it would be done already. The problem is, the garage was a custom 3rd party app that was abandoned, so it's a custom build. The board maker had a subsequent update that set them back, making things worse. When it's done, they'll let me know is all I know. Kind of stuck here as I'd hate to lose many years worth of Garage content, so I just have to be patient. Everything else is done, so just standing by.

Frankly, I've used Tapatalk on a number of other forums and think it's a PITA, as if you happen to log in with a computer and later with the phone, or visa versa, your VNP queue get's messed up. The only way it works right is if you use the phone exclusively, in my experience. However, I know there are folks out there that like it so we will definitely get it when we can.

QUOTE (HenryJ @ Oct 14 2012, 02:39 PM) *
Why does Tapatalk charge you for the Android app? It was a free app for the Ipod. I enabled it for my forums, but have half a mind to delete it since they want to charge me for it.

At one point no, but I'm sure that was just a ploy to rope people in. Pretty much the standard MO for all of these 3rd party apps. Suck everyone in, then figure out a way to monetize it. It's the American way! biggrin2.gif

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
01Zhoe
post Oct 14 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #23

Silver Member

Member No.: 15,804

What's the VNP queue?
Not saying this in a rude manner, but how come you can't convert everything else but the garage and if anyone goes to the garage it just gives them an error code?

One thing I don't like about tapatalk is that you can't see signatures, wish that were possible.

--------------------

KEYS
SPACERS
35's

+Quote Post
Really?
post Oct 15 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,053

Love Tapatalk! I use it for many forums. I can check the forums at any time. It is not perfect but well worth the few bucks to me. I had it when it was free also.

It is great to have when you are on the road, especially when you need help to fix something when on a motorcycle. Or, post pics of your ride while you are on it!

+Quote Post
Cheeseking
post Oct 26 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,476

+1vote to the get Tapatalk ability up on this forum! For $2-3 it is WELL worth it. I can view all the activity on 4-5 boards I'm on very quickly w/o logging on individually. Soooo much easier as others mentioned.

BTW I use a PC and and an iPhone w/ Tapatalk to access several other forums. Never have an issue with que getting messed.
If folks don't like it or don't want to spend a $3 they don't have to buy/use it.

Site participation will certainly increase adding this capability.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 30 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #26

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (01Zhoe @ Oct 14 2012, 04:02 PM) *
What's the VNP queue?
Not saying this in a rude manner, but how come you can't convert everything else but the garage and if anyone goes to the garage it just gives them an error code?

One thing I don't like about tapatalk is that you can't see signatures, wish that were possible.

VNP is the View New Post queue. On the other forums that I have tested Tapatalk with, the queue does not stay sync'd with the PC after you access via Tapatalk. This is a common issue I've read about from others, seen discussed on the Tapatalk admin board, and I'm not sure where they are on that, but I know it's a colossal issue. For those not effected, or don't realize they are effected, it's obviously a non-issue.

On the Garage, as some folks might know, each record in the database has hundreds of fields of data, that are constantly updated every time a user does anything on the board, even just logging in. Because the Garage was a custom app, and not a an official board app that was installed as an authorized component, it's not an easy separation, nor is there a simple on/off switch. As such, if I risk doing the upgrade with an uncompatible custom app, there's no way to know exactly what will happen. Parts of the Garage might work, but things will not function properly and could do some very unintended things to the database. You open yourself up to potential corruption that could very well destroy the entire database and risk 8 years worth of content.

Imho, we've been here for 8 years successfully without Tapatalk, and frankly while I know some people like it alot, I'm not willing to rush things and risk the future of the board to press forward prematurely. There are good practice proceedures that need to be followed in any upgrade and when you break those rules, all sorts of bad things can happen. I'm sorry, but we will have it as soon as we can.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
bigdave0924
post Oct 30 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #27

Silver Member

Member No.: 7,619

^^I really wish I could figure out how to keep the queue sync'd between tapatalk and PC (it seems as if it does it sometimes and not others)...that's my only complaint

--------------------
White 2003 LT 4x4, Black Bow Tie, 15% Tint, 5000K HID's, 8 Lights on Mod, Ford Keys, 1.5" Rear Coil Spacers, 285 NTG

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 30 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #28

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (bigdave0924 @ Oct 30 2012, 01:50 PM) *
^^I really wish I could figure out how to keep the queue sync'd between tapatalk and PC (it seems as if it does it sometimes and not others)...that's my only complaint

I hear you. See the issue is intermittant and the way you use phones exasperates the situation. When you're at a PC, you normally don't get interupted, but if you do, you can pick up right where you left off. Meaning, when using the VNP, which is how most folks use the forum, the threads you didn't click on will remain in the queue the next time you click the link no matter what PC you're on.

However, with the Tapatalk, when you arrive, it will often clear the entire queue even if you only have time to read one thread before you get off the train, or whatever. Then the issue becomes, there is just no way to figure out what threads were in the queue that you missed.

This has been a huge issue for Tapatalk and some phones work fine, others don't, and most are intermittant and due to the nature of every platform working differently regarding cookies, this will be a very tough problem to solve. For someone like me that is obligated to ensure I don't miss any posts, it's a deal breaker, but again I do realize some folks really like it. As such, we will have it as soon as possible.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
01Zhoe
post Oct 30 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #29

Silver Member

Member No.: 15,804

No worries. Definitely don't want to rush into anything. Was just curious

--------------------

KEYS
SPACERS
35's

+Quote Post
hdwrench99
post Oct 30 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #30

Platinum Member

Group: Supporting Member
Member No.: 12,723

Scott, you read every post? We better watch what we say about you. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Black '04 Tahoe keys and 1" spacers 285/70-17 BFG AT KO's Goodyear Duratracs
Black Bear Tune and E-Fans. GMT900 brake upgrade. My Garage

"Its not about the number of merit badges earned or the revenue... it's about the memories made." - Rev. Tim Lehman Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation Camp Director

QUOTE (JimB204 @ Apr 27 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Now that you found this site, you will never be content with your truck..

How To Donate to Z71T-S.com: CLICK HERE!

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Oct 30 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #31

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (hdwrench99 @ Oct 30 2012, 07:52 PM) *

Nah... I think Scott is pretty thick-skinned by now! rolleyes.gif Right Scott? biggrin2.gif

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
Scott
post Oct 31 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #32

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (Gary P @ Oct 30 2012, 08:42 PM) *

Nah... I think Scott is pretty thick-skinned by now! rolleyes.gif Right Scott? biggrin2.gif

After 8 years of being called a craggy old coote, yeah nothing much gets me going...

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
Gary P
post Oct 31 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #33

Needs a Life!

Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE (Scott @ Oct 31 2012, 02:01 PM) *
QUOTE (Gary P @ Oct 30 2012, 08:42 PM) *

After 8 years of being called a craggy old coote, yeah nothing much gets me going...

Hey.... I've ONLY been a member here for 7 years, so I guess it's not me! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
2012 Summit White Silverado 2500HD 4WD Z71 Crew Cab, New 8/31/12 ... with a Black Bear Performance tune - Love it!
2005 Summit White Tahoe 4WD Z71 (For the wife.... finally!)

2002 Silverado 1500 LS, Ext cab, 4WD...Gone, but not forgotten.... SOLD 8/31/12

How to Donate to Z71T-S.com ==>
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....c=25714&hl=

+Quote Post
smokestack
post Jun 4 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 19,138

So no tapatalk yet..... biggrin2.gif

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jun 4 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #35

Needs a Life!

QUOTE (smokestack @ Jun 4 2014, 02:45 PM) *
So no tapatalk yet..... biggrin2.gif

No sir. We've done a number of under the hood upgrades this spring, and we're still in that condundrum of not being able to go far enough to allow Tapatalk, if that negatively effects the Garage app which people like so much. As some noticed, after one recent upgrade, we ran into some reliability issues that shutdown the Garage, that I was just able to correct a couple of days ago. Never ending battle when you don't have staff programmers at your disposal. I know why many other larger forums have to have ads plastered all over the place to cover that expense, and it's a hamster wheel for sure that I have no particular interest in pursuing.

That said, I have done a number of 'interviews' with various members regarding site 'experience' using different devices, cell phones, tablets, PC's, etc., and mostly folks were pretty satisfied on our performance and features. Surely, we are not cutting edge with the latest neat techologies, but I will mention that we do have a Lo-Fi mode, that speeds up performance on older phones and/or dial up. That link is at the bottom of the forum:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/lofiversion/index.php

In the interim, when we can get a road map into converting all of our years of Garage data into a new, better supported app, that will be my first priority. I just can't envision abandoning all of the Garage data and app, just to allow Tapatalk that I'm not sure many people will use. Tough decision to balance.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post
acanfield
post May 20 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 11,411

Just a quick bump on this: fast forward 3+ years and I suspect 90% of users have smart phones. It's a lot easier for me to check other forums for my Jeep and Sliverado via Tapatalk. I'd probably be more active on Z71T-S as well.

Maybe a user poll to gauge interest would be worthwhile?

--------------------
2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

+Quote Post
Simantic
post May 21 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20,578

Personally, I'm kind of against Tapatalk. The only other forum I'm active on, XJRider.com, recently discontinued support for Tapatalk...long after I had stopped using it anyway. It seemed to have frequent issues, didn't remember settings well, and doesn't keep up with updates. They updated the site to the latest version of PHPBB, and Tapatalk stopped working. Within a day or two, they found that Tapatalk didn't support the new version, and had no estimated time they would. The consensus there was the same; a few people still really wanted it, but most were happy without it, and some of us were happier without it. I was glad to uninstall that app from my phone, but that is just my personal opinion.

--------------------
2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71

Keys, 2-in Spacers, 295/70R17 Hankook DynaPro AT-m, K&N CAI, BBP Tune
Building Bucky Burban

+Quote Post
Scott
post May 22 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #38

Needs a Life!

Since my last post in this regard, I have continued to test Tapatalk and while it does seem to work well for some sites, others not so well, and it's another thing that pins us down from changes, upgrades, etc. As Sim mentioned, every time there is a change to anything that causes an issue, things go haywire, and I just don't have the time fix it all the time.

One thing you might want to try is our LoFi version of the board that has been enabled. With my phone, it runs the standard board well, so the LoFi is not for me, but you might want to give it a whirl and see what you think:

http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/lofiversion

--------------------
2004 Z71 Tahoe Black
~ Bunch of Mods ~

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 02:17 AM